contents of tape - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on contents of tape - Veritas Net Backup ; I have about 40 tapes (on an old tape library that I am getting rid of) that at one point or another, the user has said the expiration date should be infinity. Well, some of these tapes are several years ...

  1. contents of tape

    I have about 40 tapes (on an old tape library that I am getting rid of) that
    at one point or another, the user has said the expiration date should be
    infinity. Well, some of these tapes are several years old and I have no idea
    what is on them.

    How can I find out the contents and date written on these tapes?

    tia
    steve hammond

  2. Re: contents of tape

    "Steve Hammond" wrote:

    >I have about 40 tapes (on an old tape library that I am getting rid of)

    that
    >at one point or another, the user has said the expiration date should be
    >infinity. Well, some of these tapes are several years old and I have no

    idea
    >what is on them.
    >
    >How can I find out the contents and date written on these tapes?
    >
    >tia
    >steve hammond

    Steve,

    Are they already in your current system's database? If not, first you
    need to do an import. In the admin console, go to the catalog section, change
    the pulldown to "Import", enter the media ID, and proceed.

    After that you should be able to just run bpimmedia -L -m mediaid to get
    a list of images.

    There's also a way you can use "tar" to read directly off of the tape without
    mucking with a backup program but I wouldn't mess with this unless other,
    more conventional means failed:

    http://www.backupcentral.com/foms/ne...cache/192.html

    Scott

+ Reply to Thread