cross network and pbx question... - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on cross network and pbx question... - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi All, Really needs some help with this one... All servers Windows 2003 SP1 with NetBackup Enterprise v6.0 MP1. Got a master and media server on a 172.24.n.n network, and lots of clients - all fine. Just setup another media ...

  1. cross network and pbx question...

    Hi All,
    Really needs some help with this one...

    All servers Windows 2003 SP1 with NetBackup Enterprise v6.0 MP1.

    Got a master and media server on a 172.24.n.n network, and lots of clients -
    all fine.
    Just setup another media server on a 192.168.149.n network offsite, through
    a FirePass F5 box and Cisco firewalls. My network people tell me the pipes
    are fully open.

    I can browse files and terminal server sessions all work ok. The remote
    media server can access and configure the master server, but the master
    server can't configure the new media server, although windows file browsing
    both ways, and RDP/mstsc/terminal-services is fine both ways. The media
    server on the 192.168.149.n network can browse files and RDP other clients
    on that segment, but NetBackup can't configure them.

    The new media server on 192.168.149.n can bpclntcmd itself and the master
    server no problem, but when I do ;
    bpclntcmd -get_pbx_version_number masterserver
    I get
    socket read error

    When I try to configure the new media server I get the same error.

    I've read through the troubleshooting guide on PBX and run the "pbxcfg -p"
    and all seems okay.

    In the admin console on the master server, in media and "device management /
    devices / hosts" the new media server is showing as "offline".

    I've added and configured a local tape drive to the remote media server, and
    "scan -tape" finds it okay, and "tpautoconf -report_disc" doesn't report any
    discrepencies,and the drive shows in "devices / drives" view, but won't show
    up in the "activity view / drives" tab.

    I can't figure it? Has anyone got any ideas?

    Many thanks,
    Dave.

  2. Re: cross network and pbx question...

    We (well the remote network's guy did) found out what the problem was. One
    side of the firewall was NAT'ing incoming UDP packets, so the client thought
    it had to reply to the inside interface of the firewall, and thus wasn't
    able to reply to the master server because the return address it was given
    on the incoming packet had been changed by the firewall.

    What was strange about is that commands like ;
    bpclntcmd -sv
    bpclntcmd -pn
    bpclntcmd -hn
    bpclntcmd -ip
    bpclntcmd -get_pbx_port
    bpclntcmd -self

    would all work, but this one option of bpclntcmd wouldn't
    bpclncmd -get_remote_host_version

    Also, the remote media server could manage (via the Admin Console) all
    features of the master server and other media servers, and itself, but the
    master server couldn't see the remote tape drive, nor manage the remote
    media server. Very strange.

    When I get the full details of what had to be changed, I'll post again.

    "D R" wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > Really needs some help with this one...
    >
    > All servers Windows 2003 SP1 with NetBackup Enterprise v6.0 MP1.
    >
    > Got a master and media server on a 172.24.n.n network, and lots of
    > clients - all fine.
    > Just setup another media server on a 192.168.149.n network offsite,
    > through a FirePass F5 box and Cisco firewalls. My network people tell me
    > the pipes are fully open.
    >
    > I can browse files and terminal server sessions all work ok. The remote
    > media server can access and configure the master server, but the master
    > server can't configure the new media server, although windows file
    > browsing both ways, and RDP/mstsc/terminal-services is fine both ways.
    > The media server on the 192.168.149.n network can browse files and RDP
    > other clients on that segment, but NetBackup can't configure them.
    >
    > The new media server on 192.168.149.n can bpclntcmd itself and the master
    > server no problem, but when I do ;
    > bpclntcmd -get_pbx_version_number masterserver
    > I get
    > socket read error
    >
    > When I try to configure the new media server I get the same error.
    >
    > I've read through the troubleshooting guide on PBX and run the "pbxcfg -p"
    > and all seems okay.
    >
    > In the admin console on the master server, in media and "device management
    > / devices / hosts" the new media server is showing as "offline".
    >
    > I've added and configured a local tape drive to the remote media server,
    > and "scan -tape" finds it okay, and "tpautoconf -report_disc" doesn't
    > report any discrepencies,and the drive shows in "devices / drives" view,
    > but won't show up in the "activity view / drives" tab.
    >
    > I can't figure it? Has anyone got any ideas?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Dave.

+ Reply to Thread