Windows Backup Performance - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Windows Backup Performance - Veritas Net Backup ; Are there any good methods for siginificantly improving backup performance on a Windows file system (a fileshare server) with lots of files? For example, a fileserver with tens or hundreds of thousands of files, 500+GB. Backup performance is slow due ...

  1. Windows Backup Performance

    Are there any good methods for siginificantly improving backup performance
    on a Windows file system (a fileshare server) with lots of files? For example,
    a fileserver with tens or hundreds of thousands of files, 500+GB. Backup
    performance is slow due to the number of files, all the tape markers, etc,
    I think.

    To be clear, try this test: back up a large-ish directory and get 2MB/sec.
    Now create an NTBackup bkf file of that same directory and back that up
    and get 10 MB/sec or more.

    This is also seen with NTBackup (which I believe is really a Veritas product
    in the guts of things). And its not, from anything I can tell, a performance
    problem for the server itself (network, disk, etc). It seems to be all the
    small files.

    You can do "bpbkar32 -nocont d:\mydir > NUL" and "bpbkar32 -nocont d:\bigflie
    > NUL" and get two really different performances. Eliminates network, tape

    contention, etc.

  2. Re: Windows Backup Performance

    "Mike" wrote:

    >Are there any good methods for siginificantly improving backup performance
    >on a Windows file system (a fileshare server) with lots of files? For example,
    >a fileserver with tens or hundreds of thousands of files, 500+GB. Backup
    >performance is slow due to the number of files, all the tape markers, etc,
    >I think.
    >
    >To be clear, try this test: back up a large-ish directory and get 2MB/sec.
    > Now create an NTBackup bkf file of that same directory and back that up
    >and get 10 MB/sec or more.
    >
    >This is also seen with NTBackup (which I believe is really a Veritas product
    >in the guts of things). And its not, from anything I can tell, a performance
    >problem for the server itself (network, disk, etc). It seems to be all

    the
    >small files.
    >
    >You can do "bpbkar32 -nocont d:\mydir > NUL" and "bpbkar32 -nocont d:\bigflie
    >> NUL" and get two really different performances. Eliminates network, tape

    >contention, etc.

    Take a look at FlashBackup: it's supposed to get around this problem by
    doing a lower-level style backup rather than worrying explicitly about files.

    Scott

+ Reply to Thread