Schedulable backup of list of files... - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Schedulable backup of list of files... - Veritas Net Backup ; in article 43bd65ed@ROSASTDMZ05., Jim Dalton at jimdalton@yahoo.co.uk wrote on 1/5/06 10:31 AM: > > Hello NG Readers, > > Im trying to achieve the following and would appreciate your expertise:- > Im running Solaris NB 5.1 server backing up windows ...

  1. Re: Schedulable backup of list of files...

    in article 43bd65ed@ROSASTDMZ05., Jim Dalton at jimdalton@yahoo.co.uk wrote
    on 1/5/06 10:31 AM:

    > Hello NG Readers,
    >
    > Im trying to achieve the following and would appreciate your expertise:-
    > Im running Solaris NB 5.1 server backing up windows 2003 client.
    > I have a set of files I need to back up; this set is not constant. These
    > files live on a NAS but are mounted as a single partition. I know that if
    > I define three NEW_STREAMS, then I get optimal backup performance from my
    > backup.
    > So all I need is to define the contents of the three streams. This is tricky
    > since I dont know whats going to be in the streams with certainty, and I
    > cant afford to miss any files of extension type .bif and .bof. This backup
    > covers only .bif and .bof
    > extensions, there are plenty of other file types within my directories.
    > And the backup must be schedulable.
    >
    > Ideal solution: schedule picks backup to run , backup runs "pre" script,
    > which (using say perl) finds out all the .bif and .bof files, sorts them
    > size wise into three heaps. But you cant put a list of files into a
    > schedulable
    > backup, theres no way to tell netbackup that in fact what is in the policy
    > is a list and not a file to back up.
    >
    > Is there expertise out there that knows how I can do this?
    >
    > One option is to copy the files into three pre-defined directories and back
    > these up, trouble is we are talking about huge amounts of data so although
    > it could work, its not an option.
    > It could be easier if netbackup for windows path definition allowed
    > [a-m]*.bif
    > as you can with the unix path definitions, but you cant, at least it didnt
    > back anything up , it just told me no matching data to back up.
    > Using square parenthesis would at least make it simple to define all possible
    > options in three distinct streams.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your input.
    > Regards,Jim

    Is the number of files huge? You could always dump the file list into
    /opt/openv/netbackup/db/class//includes which is where the
    policy's file list lives. I don't knoew what NB's limit for this list is or
    how it affects backup speed having a large number of entries. Also, I don't
    know if NB parses this file before or after running the pre script but I
    would guess before, so you would probably need to use cron to time the dump
    just before the backup.

    --Paul

  2. Re: Schedulable backup of list of files...

    Jim Dalton wrote, in part, on 1/5/2006 1:31 PM:
    > I have a set of files I need to back up; this set is not constant. These
    > files live on a NAS but are mounted as a single partition. I know that if
    > I define three NEW_STREAMS, then I get optimal backup performance from my
    > backup.
    > So all I need is to define the contents of the three streams. This is tricky
    > since I dont know whats going to be in the streams with certainty, and I
    > cant afford to miss any files of extension type .bif and .bof. This backup
    > covers only .bif and .bof
    > extensions, there are plenty of other file types within my directories.
    > And the backup must be schedulable.

    Are the files named such that you can predefine the 3 streams using wild
    card ranges ("[a-f]*.bif", etc.) and approximate 3 more or less equal
    groups?

    cheers, wayne

  3. Schedulable backup of list of files...

[...]

  4. Re: Schedulable backup of list of files...

    ps wrote:
    >in article 43bd65ed@ROSASTDMZ05., Jim Dalton at jimdalton@yahoo.co.uk wrote
    >on 1/5/06 10:31 AM:
    >

    >> Hello NG Readers,
    >>
    >> Im trying to achieve the following and would appreciate your expertise:-
    >> Im running Solaris NB 5.1 server backing up windows 2003 client.
    >> I have a set of files I need to back up; this set is not constant. These
    >> files live on a NAS but are mounted as a single partition. I know that

    if
    >> I define three NEW_STREAMS, then I get optimal backup performance from

    my
    >> backup.
    >> So all I need is to define the contents of the three streams. This is

    tricky
    >> since I dont know whats going to be in the streams with certainty, and

    >> cant afford to miss any files of extension type .bif and .bof. This backup
    >> covers only .bif and .bof
    >> extensions, there are plenty of other file types within my directories.
    >> And the backup must be schedulable.
    >>
    >> Ideal solution: schedule picks backup to run , backup runs "pre" script,
    >> which (using say perl) finds out all the .bif and .bof files, sorts them
    >> size wise into three heaps. But you cant put a list of files into a
    >> schedulable
    >> backup, theres no way to tell netbackup that in fact what is in the policy
    >> is a list and not a file to back up.
    >>
    >> Is there expertise out there that knows how I can do this?
    >>
    >> One option is to copy the files into three pre-defined directories and

    back
    >> these up, trouble is we are talking about huge amounts of data so although
    >> it could work, its not an option.
    >> It could be easier if netbackup for windows path definition allowed
    >> [a-m]*.bif
    >> as you can with the unix path definitions, but you cant, at least it didnt
    >> back anything up , it just told me no matching data to back up.
    >> Using square parenthesis would at least make it simple to define all possible
    >> options in three distinct streams.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your input.
    >> Regards,Jim

    >Is the number of files huge? You could always dump the file list into
    >/opt/openv/netbackup/db/class//includes which is where the
    >policy's file list lives. I don't knoew what NB's limit for this list is

    or
    >how it affects backup speed having a large number of entries. Also, I don't
    >know if NB parses this file before or after running the pre script but I
    >would guess before, so you would probably need to use cron to time the dump
    >just before the backup.

    Paul

    List is potentially pretty huge , yes , however the bigger (though not insurmountable)
    issue is the includes file lives on the (unix) server, whereas the client
    is windows, so there'd need to be some ftp of the list back onto the server.
    The timing of this isnt exactly transparent either, but certainly I think
    this could be made to work as a first guess.
    Im still less than amused that [] doesnt work, the manual states it should,
    but it returns me 71 - none of the files exist. Maybe my syntax is wrong.

    Regards,jim
    >--Paul

  5. Re: Schedulable backup of list of files...

    Wayne T Smith wrote:
    >Jim Dalton wrote, in part, on 1/5/2006 1:31 PM:
    >> I have a set of files I need to back up; this set is not constant. These
    >> files live on a NAS but are mounted as a single partition. I know that

    if
    >> I define three NEW_STREAMS, then I get optimal backup performance from

    my
    >> backup.
    >> So all I need is to define the contents of the three streams. This is

    tricky
    >> since I dont know whats going to be in the streams with certainty, and

    >> cant afford to miss any files of extension type .bif and .bof. This backup
    >> covers only .bif and .bof
    >> extensions, there are plenty of other file types within my directories.
    >> And the backup must be schedulable.

    >Are the files named such that you can predefine the 3 streams using wild

    >card ranges ("[a-f]*.bif", etc.) and approximate 3 more or less equal
    >groups?

    Wayne
    Agreed this looks like it ought to work, but it doesnt -it gives me error
    71 - none of the files in the list exist. Ive tried a few variations with
    \ and " and etc. Recall this is a unix master server backup up a windows
    box and may be why it doesnt work.
    Maybe you did get a similar setup to function?
    Regard,Jim

  6. Re: Schedulable backup of list of files...

    >> Are the files named such that you can predefine the 3 streams using wild
    >
    >> card ranges ("[a-f]*.bif", etc.) and approximate 3 more or less equal
    >> groups?

    > Agreed this looks like it ought to work, but it doesnt -it gives me error
    > 71 - none of the files in the list exist. Ive tried a few variations with
    > \ and " and etc. Recall this is a unix master server backup up a windows
    > box and may be why it doesnt work.
    > Maybe you did get a similar setup to function?

    Er, ... no. :-(

    The master server doesn't matter, as I recall. My advice was bogus
    because NetBackup does not appear to support brackets ({} nor []) for
    Windows clients. Sorry for the noise.

    The doc doesn't say brackets/braces work or don't work for Windows
    (guess doc shouldn't be expected to document what a product can't do),
    but clearly describes them for Unix backups.

    Yes, I've used them for Unix backups (don't forget non-alphabetics!) and
    could have used them for a few Windows backups. ;-)

    Sorry for the noise :-(

    cheers, wayne

+ Reply to Thread