Vaulting of Full volumes only - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Vaulting of Full volumes only - Veritas Net Backup ; I need a way to vault only the full tapes in my library. The way our vaulting is configured now, all volumes written to by netbackup will be ejected from the robot when the vault session runs. That's fine for ...

  1. Vaulting of Full volumes only

    I need a way to vault only the full tapes in my library. The way our vaulting
    is configured now, all volumes written to by netbackup will be ejected from
    the robot when the vault session runs. That's fine for a few policies, i.e.
    Production DB, File servers, Email servers, etc., but what I need is this.
    For our standard policies, we don't duplicate and the tape stays in the
    library for ever. This presents a problem. After several days/months/years,
    the tapes become full. We have a 180 slot robot and it is holding alot of
    full tapes in the slots. This causes our scratch tape footprint to become
    smaller and smaller by the day. We routinely run out of scratch tapes on
    the weekends.

    What I am shooting for is a process which I automatically pick only the Full
    tapes in the robot and eject them. Now I want vaulting to track the tapes
    also so our tape librarian will know when to add the expired tapes back into
    our scratch pool.

    So far, I have been able to identify the full tapes, move them to a new “Full_Tape”
    volume group and then vltoffsitemedia –change them so Vault will track them.

    When I run the vltoffsitemedia -list –vault command I see the
    tapes in the vault and all is good.

    What I can’t do is get the Admin Console Vaulting reports to work and show
    me my now offsite vault.

    Am I going about this right? What is the recommended process?

    Did I add that I am a “Lazy” sysadmin and want to automate this entire process?

    Let me know what I can do.

    Thanks,
    Rcp

  2. Re: Vaulting of Full volumes only

    This can be accomplished by setting up the Vault Profile to eject only the
    schedule "Fulls, or whatever you use for Full Backups only".

    "Ray Peterson" wrote:

    >I need a way to vault only the full tapes in my library. The way our vaulting
    >is configured now, all volumes written to by netbackup will be ejected from
    >the robot when the vault session runs. That's fine for a few policies,

    i.e.
    >Production DB, File servers, Email servers, etc., but what I need is this.
    > For our standard policies, we don't duplicate and the tape stays in the
    >library for ever. This presents a problem. After several days/months/years,
    >the tapes become full. We have a 180 slot robot and it is holding alot

    of
    >full tapes in the slots. This causes our scratch tape footprint to become
    >smaller and smaller by the day. We routinely run out of scratch tapes on
    >the weekends.
    >
    >What I am shooting for is a process which I automatically pick only the

    Full
    >tapes in the robot and eject them. Now I want vaulting to track the tapes
    >also so our tape librarian will know when to add the expired tapes back

    into
    >our scratch pool.
    >
    >So far, I have been able to identify the full tapes, move them to a new

    “Full_Tape”
    >volume group and then vltoffsitemedia –change them so Vault will track them.
    >

    >When I run the vltoffsitemedia -list –vault command I see the
    >tapes in the vault and all is good.
    >
    >What I can’t do is get the Admin Console Vaulting reports to work and show
    >me my now offsite vault.
    >
    >Am I going about this right? What is the recommended process?
    >
    >Did I add that I am a “Lazy” sysadmin and want to automate this entire process?
    >
    >Let me know what I can do.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Rcp

+ Reply to Thread