Netbackup Admin Console Problem - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Netbackup Admin Console Problem - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi All, I just installed Netbackup 5.1 on a Windows 2000 server but when I tried to open the Admin console after installation, Admin console did not come up and I received a message that the console could not connect ...

  1. Netbackup Admin Console Problem

    Hi All,

    I just installed Netbackup 5.1 on a Windows 2000 server but when I tried
    to open the Admin console after installation, Admin console did not come
    up and I received a message that the console could not connect to the server.

    What do you think I need to do to get admin console to come up and connect
    to Netbackup server on the same machine ?

    I am a unix guy but my customer wants Netbackup server installed on a Windows
    server.

    Thanking you in anticipation of your response.

    best regards

    Waheed

  2. Re: Netbackup Admin Console Problem

    You may want to make sure your master server is either registered with DNS
    or has an entry in the host file.

    "Waheed Adeoye" wrote in message

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I just installed Netbackup 5.1 on a Windows 2000 server but when I tried
    > to open the Admin console after installation, Admin console did not come
    > up and I received a message that the console could not connect to the
    > server.
    >
    > What do you think I need to do to get admin console to come up and connect
    > to Netbackup server on the same machine ?
    >
    > I am a unix guy but my customer wants Netbackup server installed on a
    > Windows
    > server.
    >
    > Thanking you in anticipation of your response.
    >
    > best regards
    >
    > Waheed

  3. Re: Netbackup Admin Console Problem

    "Matt Blanton" wrote:
    >You may want to make sure your master server is either registered with DNS

    >or has an entry in the host file.
    >
    >"Waheed Adeoye" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I just installed Netbackup 5.1 on a Windows 2000 server but when I tried
    >> to open the Admin console after installation, Admin console did not come
    >> up and I received a message that the console could not connect to the

    >> server.
    >>
    >> What do you think I need to do to get admin console to come up and connect
    >> to Netbackup server on the same machine ?
    >>
    >> I am a unix guy but my customer wants Netbackup server installed on a

    >> Windows
    >> server.
    >>
    >> Thanking you in anticipation of your response.
    >>
    >> best regards
    >>
    >> Waheed

    Waheed,

    In addition to the above, I believe you need an entry in bp.conf:

    SERVER = servername

    [my NB servers are all on UNIX but we manage them from either UNIX or Windows]

    where "servername" is the name of the Windows box. UNIX doesn't require
    this because when you launch jnbSA it prompts you for the root password.
    Windows does not so to add security, the hostname needs to be in bp.conf
    to prevent unauthorized access [IMO, this isn't as good because anyone can
    log in to that Windows box and launch the Admin Console].

    I think this might require a reboot of the master server [at least, that's
    the way it is on UNIX].

    Scott

+ Reply to Thread