Is there a way to initiate a procedure on a master or media server just before a policy or client backup starts? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Is there a way to initiate a procedure on a master or media server just before a policy or client backup starts? - Veritas Net Backup ; NetBackup Enterprise Version: v5.1 MP3a S2 Server Platform: Windows Clients: Macintosh / Windows / Solaris At our site we have some Macintosh clients, and the users like to set them to "sleep" after 15 or 30 minutes. These clients fail ...

  1. Is there a way to initiate a procedure on a master or media server just before a policy or client backup starts?

    NetBackup Enterprise Version: v5.1 MP3a S2
    Server Platform: Windows
    Clients: Macintosh / Windows / Solaris

    At our site we have some Macintosh clients, and the users like to set them
    to "sleep" after 15 or 30 minutes. These clients fail on a regular basis
    because of this. I understand and already use client side "bpstart" and
    "bpend" notify scripts on various clients, but what I want to know is
    this... Is there is a way that I can trigger/fire/initiate a script on the
    master or media server, so that I can run a VBScript to send WOL
    (wake-on-LAN) magic packets to the clients, to wake them up, just before the
    backup policy starts, or preferably just before the client starts?

    So far it looks like I'll have to set all the Mac clients to start at a
    predefined and hopefully quiet(ish) time, and use a scheduled (or AT) task
    to run the wake up script for all Mac clients several times over a one hour
    period.

  2. Re: Is there a way to initiate a procedure on a master or media server just before a policy or client backup starts?

    "D R" wrote:
    >NetBackup Enterprise Version: v5.1 MP3a S2
    >Server Platform: Windows
    >Clients: Macintosh / Windows / Solaris
    >
    >At our site we have some Macintosh clients, and the users like to set them

    >to "sleep" after 15 or 30 minutes. These clients fail on a regular basis

    >because of this. I understand and already use client side "bpstart" and

    >"bpend" notify scripts on various clients, but what I want to know is
    >this... Is there is a way that I can trigger/fire/initiate a script on

    the
    >master or media server, so that I can run a VBScript to send WOL
    >(wake-on-LAN) magic packets to the clients, to wake them up, just before

    the
    >backup policy starts, or preferably just before the client starts?
    >
    >So far it looks like I'll have to set all the Mac clients to start at a

    >predefined and hopefully quiet(ish) time, and use a scheduled (or AT) task

    >to run the wake up script for all Mac clients several times over a one hour

    >period.

    DR,

    I'd think that you if you set a cron, sched and policy for these apple users
    with a script like this.

    #!/bin/sh
    #not sure how to remsh to a apple_pc but
    #
    #UNIX way
    #remsh $TARGET -l root -n $Output
    #NT way
    remsh apple_client_name "/fire/initiate > /logs/ /fire/initiate.log 2>&1"
    sleep 600

    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpbackup \
    -s $SCHEDULE \
    -p $POL \
    -h $HOST \
    -S $HOST \
    -i \
    -w
    RC=$?
    echo $RC
    if [ $RC -ne 0 ]
    then
    /usr/bin/mailx -s "${DB} APPLE_CLIENT_NAME tbackup failed on $HOST"
    root < /dev/null
    fi

    OR
    Ask disable that sleep funtionality on the apple PC.

  3. Re: Is there a way to initiate a procedure on a master or media server just before a policy or client backup starts?

    Thanks for the reply J.

    I've decided to use a scheduled task to run a VBScript on the master server,
    and this sends a WOL packet to each client just before the backup is due to
    start. This seems to work, as we secured all the Mac clients last night.

    Thanks again,
    Dave.