how to expire tapes after images have been expired - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on how to expire tapes after images have been expired - Veritas Net Backup ; I have a pool, called data00. Using the catalog browser, I have expired many backup images that were residing in this pool. It seems like the tapes in the pool have not been freed up yet though, they still show ...

  1. how to expire tapes after images have been expired

    I have a pool, called data00. Using the catalog browser, I have expired many
    backup images that were residing in this pool. It seems like the tapes in
    the pool have not been freed up yet though, they still show they have images
    on them.
    What process normally takes care of expiring, or making available, tapes
    that no longer have valid images on them? How do i run this process manually
    so i don't have to expire each tape individually?

    Thanks

  2. Re: how to expire tapes after images have been expired

    "mike" wrote:

    >I have a pool, called data00. Using the catalog browser, I have expired

    many
    >backup images that were residing in this pool. It seems like the tapes

    in
    >the pool have not been freed up yet though, they still show they have images
    >on them.
    >What process normally takes care of expiring, or making available, tapes
    >that no longer have valid images on them? How do i run this process manually
    >so i don't have to expire each tape individually?
    >
    >Thanks

    Normally the Retention policy of that image would take care of the exp. date
    of the tape as well. you can run this command to exp. the tape individually

    bpexpdate -m vol-id -d 11/18/2003 23:08

  3. Re: how to expire tapes after images have been expired

    "Benny" wrote:

    >"mike" wrote:
    >>
    >>I have a pool, called data00. Using the catalog browser, I have expired

    >many
    >>backup images that were residing in this pool. It seems like the tapes

    >in
    >>the pool have not been freed up yet though, they still show they have images
    >>on them.
    >>What process normally takes care of expiring, or making available, tapes
    >>that no longer have valid images on them? How do i run this process manually
    >>so i don't have to expire each tape individually?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>

    >Normally the Retention policy of that image would take care of the exp.

    date
    >of the tape as well. you can run this command to exp. the tape individually
    >
    >bpexpdate -m vol-id -d 11/18/2003 23:08

    If i have manually expired the images already though, do i still need to
    manually expire the tapes as well? Seems like there should be a process
    that does all this for me. Ie, when all images on a tape are expired, mark
    the tape available, expire it, whatever...

  4. Re: how to expire tapes after images have been expired

    "mike" wrote:

    >"Benny" wrote:
    >>
    >>"mike" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I have a pool, called data00. Using the catalog browser, I have expired

    >>many
    >>>backup images that were residing in this pool. It seems like the tapes

    >>in
    >>>the pool have not been freed up yet though, they still show they have

    images
    >>>on them.
    >>>What process normally takes care of expiring, or making available, tapes
    >>>that no longer have valid images on them? How do i run this process manually
    >>>so i don't have to expire each tape individually?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>

    >>Normally the Retention policy of that image would take care of the exp.

    >date
    >>of the tape as well. you can run this command to exp. the tape individually
    >>
    >>bpexpdate -m vol-id -d 11/18/2003 23:08
    >>

    >If i have manually expired the images already though, do i still need to
    >manually expire the tapes as well? Seems like there should be a process
    >that does all this for me. Ie, when all images on a tape are expired, mark
    >the tape available, expire it, whatever...

    This is what i was looking for:

    bpexpdate -deassignempty

    Thanks me

+ Reply to Thread