Using Vault to track non0NetBackup media - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Using Vault to track non0NetBackup media - Veritas Net Backup ; I have an environment where I have a need to use Vault to track some media that was not written using NetBackup. For example, we create an HP-UX Ignite tape on our NetBackup master and send it offsite with our ...

  1. Using Vault to track non0NetBackup media

    I have an environment where I have a need to use Vault to track some media
    that was not written using NetBackup.

    For example, we create an HP-UX Ignite tape on our NetBackup master and send
    it offsite with our weekly tape pulls. Currently we do this via a spreadsheet,
    but would like to get it within Vault. Another area we need this is with
    tapes that are created on some MPE systems (No NetBackup agent availble).

    Does anyone have any ideas how or if I can accomplish this?

    We are running NetBackup 5.1 MP1. Master is HP-UX 11.11i, we have several
    media servers, SSO and some database extensions.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Marc

  2. Re: Using Vault to track non0NetBackup media

    "Marc Salava" wrote:

    >I have an environment where I have a need to use Vault to track some media
    >that was not written using NetBackup.
    >
    >For example, we create an HP-UX Ignite tape on our NetBackup master and

    send
    >it offsite with our weekly tape pulls. Currently we do this via a spreadsheet,
    >but would like to get it within Vault. Another area we need this is with
    >tapes that are created on some MPE systems (No NetBackup agent availble).
    >
    >Does anyone have any ideas how or if I can accomplish this?
    >
    >We are running NetBackup 5.1 MP1. Master is HP-UX 11.11i, we have several
    >media servers, SSO and some database extensions.
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Marc

    Marc,

    I track all my IGNITE images using an IGNITE server, my IGNITE server is
    located on the MASTER backup server Netbackup enterprise 5.1 MP3. This allows
    me to restore all my ignite catalogs.

    The Theory goes:
    Loose any server restore from the Master Ignite Server
    loose Master backup Server/ Ignite server, then all you have to do is restore
    the Master backup server then reinstall Netbackup and restore Netbackup catalogs
    by using the catalog tape.

    Now that the Backup server has been restored you can restore the IGNITE servers
    images to it's appropriate file system, with an ignite server you can make
    tapes and reignite any server via the LAN.

    Since my IGNITE IMAGES and my Master Netbackup servers data resides on the
    san I could also "vgimport" the data onto another server. (just remember
    to keep the "maps" and the SAN config files.

    I also keep a tape IGNITE of my master backup server, one on site one off
    site, this servers OS should not change to much over time, of course the
    server is dedicated to only BACKUPS and IGNITES.

    to make a long story short....
    Keep an ignite of your master backup server
    Configure an ignite server.
    Cron our the bi monthly IGNITE backups on each client.
    Have Netbackup send you an e-mail every day telling what tapes were used
    for the catalog backup. (also send the same data to another server)
    /usr/sbin/vgexport -m mapfile -s -p -v vg_name (send it to a safe place)
    Documentation!

    #IGNITE Backups
    0 07 1,15 * * /opt/ignite/bin/make_net_recovery -s MASTER -a MASTER:/var/opt/ignite/recovery/archives/CLIENT_NAME
    -d CLIENT_MANE -n 2 -b > /dev/null 2>&1

    Don't waste your time with Vault

    Clear as mud?

    James Dunn
    Sr. UNIX Systems Engineer
    Special Data Processing
    Clearwater Fl

  3. Re: Using Vault to track non0NetBackup media

    "Marc Salava" wrote:

    >I have an environment where I have a need to use Vault to track some media
    >that was not written using NetBackup.
    >
    >For example, we create an HP-UX Ignite tape on our NetBackup master and

    send
    >it offsite with our weekly tape pulls. Currently we do this via a spreadsheet,
    >but would like to get it within Vault. Another area we need this is with
    >tapes that are created on some MPE systems (No NetBackup agent availble).
    >
    >Does anyone have any ideas how or if I can accomplish this?
    >
    >We are running NetBackup 5.1 MP1. Master is HP-UX 11.11i, we have several
    >media servers, SSO and some database extensions.
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Marc

    This may be possible by creating dummy media entries, custom pools, suspend
    the media, and then custom vault profiles, however, the automation of this
    task may prove difficult. (However the bulk of my vault experience is with
    4.5 so 5.1 may have introduced features that make this possible)

    As far as I know, Netbackup can only work with what is has stored in it's
    databases, so the trick would be getting this external information into netbackup's
    databases. (Which then brings up the issue will Veritas give you support
    on this server once they find this out)

    It may be easier to use perl and parse whatever logs/files you need and generate
    a custom vault report (in addition to the one NBU produces) that your off-site
    vendor can then use. (tell them to treat these as if they were standard netbackup
    tapes) Managing backup environments is one area where perl really shines.

    Hope this helps.

    If you do find a method to do this, please share on this gruop.
    -CC

+ Reply to Thread