How to change master server to media server - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on How to change master server to media server - Veritas Net Backup ; I have two master server (Windows and Sun). I need to change one master server(Sun) to media server and connect it to another master server (Windows). How can I do this? My Netbackup version is Enterprise 5.1 MP1....

  1. How to change master server to media server

    I have two master server (Windows and Sun). I need to change one master server(Sun)
    to media server and connect it to another master server (Windows). How can
    I do this? My Netbackup version is Enterprise 5.1 MP1.

  2. Re: How to change master server to media server

    "Napat" wrote:

    >I have two master server (Windows and Sun). I need to change one master

    server(Sun)
    > to media server and connect it to another master server (Windows). How

    can
    >I do this? My Netbackup version is Enterprise 5.1 MP1.

    Leave the SUN as a master and dump the windows box, make another UNIX server
    a media server, bad idea to mix the unlike O.S's.

  3. Re: How to change master server to media server

    "Napat" wrote:

    >I have two master server (Windows and Sun). I need to change one master

    server(Sun)
    > to media server and connect it to another master server (Windows). How

    can
    >I do this? My Netbackup version is Enterprise 5.1 MP1.

    As of 5.1 MP3, I'm not sure this is allowed. I think your master/media servers
    all need to be running the same OS?? (and NBU patch level for that matter)
    I could be wrong on this, but I'm almost sure there are limitations here.

    As a general rule based on past hair-pulling sessions, changing the function
    of a netbackup server, changing the hostname, etc.. is not a good idea. There
    is also the question of what Veritas will support.

    It is always better to bring up your new environment and migrate to it in
    parrallel. (Assuming you have the hardware resources available) Your backup
    infrastructure is your last-line of defense in preventing data loss. (and
    keeping your job =P) Always minimize any risks when working with it.

    -CC

  4. Re: How to change master server to media server

    Hi,

    we currently use one Master Server on SUN Solaris 9 and ten Media Server
    on Windows 2000. (Netbackup Enterprise Server 5.1 MP3)
    I don't know anything about restrictions caused by a mixed NB-environment.

    Now, with NB 6.0 and the free Operations Manager instead of the expensive
    GDM we're planning to convert some Media Server in external locations to
    Master Server.
    Until now i didn't found any limitations building a mixed environment with
    one Master of Masters on Unix with several Master server on Wintel.
    So maybe you want to upgrade to 6.0, use the operation manager and leave
    both as master server, one as Master of Masters.

    regards

    Michael"Chuck" wrote:

    >"Napat" wrote:
    >>
    >>I have two master server (Windows and Sun). I need to change one master

    >server(Sun)
    >> to media server and connect it to another master server (Windows). How

    >can
    >>I do this? My Netbackup version is Enterprise 5.1 MP1.

    >As of 5.1 MP3, I'm not sure this is allowed. I think your master/media servers
    >all need to be running the same OS?? (and NBU patch level for that matter)
    >I could be wrong on this, but I'm almost sure there are limitations here.
    >
    >As a general rule based on past hair-pulling sessions, changing the function
    >of a netbackup server, changing the hostname, etc.. is not a good idea.

    There
    >is also the question of what Veritas will support.
    >
    >It is always better to bring up your new environment and migrate to it in
    >parrallel. (Assuming you have the hardware resources available) Your backup
    >infrastructure is your last-line of defense in preventing data loss. (and
    >keeping your job =P) Always minimize any risks when working with it.
    >
    >-CC

+ Reply to Thread