Seagate Ultrium drives and Netbackup 6.0 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Seagate Ultrium drives and Netbackup 6.0 - Veritas Net Backup ; We have a StorageTek L180 Library with 2 x Seagate Ultrium LTO1 drives and 2 x HP Ultrium2 drives. Since upgrading to Netbackup 6.0 we have noticed that any job that attempts to use the Seagate drives fails with the ...

  1. Seagate Ultrium drives and Netbackup 6.0

    We have a StorageTek L180 Library with 2 x Seagate Ultrium LTO1 drives and
    2 x HP Ultrium2 drives. Since upgrading to Netbackup 6.0 we have noticed
    that any job that attempts to use the Seagate drives fails with the following
    error:

    11/09/2005 13:22:06 - Error bptm (pid=2274) error requesting media,
    TpErrno = Robot operation failed
    11/09/2005 13:22:07 - Warning bptm (pid=2274) media id 000325 load
    operation reported an error

    If we down the two Seagate drives to force the HP's to be used instead, the
    job is completed without error. We are using LTO1 tapes only so the tape
    is compatible with either drive.

    Anyone had this problem or have any ideas?

    Thanks in advance
    James

  2. Re: Seagate Ultrium drives and Netbackup 6.0

    I think I've found the problem, some time ago when ordering new barcodes for
    tapes, the barcodes we were ordering started arriving with L2 on them rather
    than L1 (I'm assuming this is an identifier to distinguish LTO1 and LTO2
    tapes), this is something we did not pick up until now, it seems that version
    4.5 of Netbackup did not take note of this identifier, so even though we
    were using these barcodes on LTO1 tapes, all has worked fine, so it has never
    occurred to us this was going to be a problem in the future. Netbackup 6
    however appears to now take note of this identifier and use this to determine
    that the tape is incompatible with the drive, for example:

    When we try to mount tape 000325 (which is an LTO1 tape but has one of the
    new L2 barcodes on it) in an LTO1 drive I get the following using the robtest
    utility:

    m s2 d1
    Initiating MOVE_MEDIUM from address 1001 to 500
    move_medium failed
    sense key = 0x5, asc = 0x30, ascq = 0x0, INCOMPATIBLE MEDIUM INSTALLED

    If I try tape 000007 instead (another LTO1 tape but this has the L1 barcode
    on it) the tape mounts fine:

    m s34 d1
    Initiating MOVE_MEDIUM from address 1033 to 500
    MOVE_MEDIUM complete

    So as far as netbackup is concerned we are trying to mount an LTO2 tape into
    an LTO1 drive so it's rejecting it. As for how I get around this problem,
    I have no idea at this stage, I guess we should be working towards having
    all tapes correctly marked, however all I have is L2 barcodes at the moment
    and I'm not sure how I would go about relabeling used tapes without losing
    information on what they have on them.

    Is anyone aware of a way to disable netbackup using the identifier so in
    effect it acts like version 4.5? This would let me continue using the tapes
    as I have in the past and to slowly cycle them out until I have everything
    labelled properly.

    Any suggestions or ideas are most appreciated!

    James

    "James Smith" j.smith wrote:

    >We have a StorageTek L180 Library with 2 x Seagate Ultrium LTO1 drives and
    >2 x HP Ultrium2 drives. Since upgrading to Netbackup 6.0 we have noticed
    >that any job that attempts to use the Seagate drives fails with the following
    >error:
    >
    >11/09/2005 13:22:06 - Error bptm (pid=2274) error requesting media,
    >TpErrno = Robot operation failed
    >11/09/2005 13:22:07 - Warning bptm (pid=2274) media id 000325 load
    >operation reported an error
    >
    >If we down the two Seagate drives to force the HP's to be used instead,

    the
    >job is completed without error. We are using LTO1 tapes only so the tape
    >is compatible with either drive.
    >
    >Anyone had this problem or have any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >James

  3. Re: Seagate Ultrium drives and Netbackup 6.0

    You need to look at MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS. I use this rule in vm.conf:

    MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS 4 8 1:2:3:4:5:6

    to extract the leftmost 6 characters of my 8-digit barcode in robot 4 (also
    LTO2,as yours). This allows me and NetBackup to ignore the L1 or L2 in the
    barcode.

    --Paul

    in article 437281db@ROSASTDMZ05., James Smith at j.smith wrote on 11/9/05
    3:10 PM:

    > I think I've found the problem, some time ago when ordering new barcodes for
    > tapes, the barcodes we were ordering started arriving with L2 on them rather
    > than L1 (I'm assuming this is an identifier to distinguish LTO1 and LTO2
    > tapes), this is something we did not pick up until now, it seems that version
    > 4.5 of Netbackup did not take note of this identifier, so even though we
    > were using these barcodes on LTO1 tapes, all has worked fine, so it has never
    > occurred to us this was going to be a problem in the future. Netbackup 6
    > however appears to now take note of this identifier and use this to determine
    > that the tape is incompatible with the drive, for example:
    >
    > When we try to mount tape 000325 (which is an LTO1 tape but has one of the
    > new L2 barcodes on it) in an LTO1 drive I get the following using the robtest
    > utility:
    >
    > m s2 d1
    > Initiating MOVE_MEDIUM from address 1001 to 500
    > move_medium failed
    > sense key = 0x5, asc = 0x30, ascq = 0x0, INCOMPATIBLE MEDIUM INSTALLED
    >

    > If I try tape 000007 instead (another LTO1 tape but this has the L1 barcode
    > on it) the tape mounts fine:
    >
    > m s34 d1
    > Initiating MOVE_MEDIUM from address 1033 to 500
    > MOVE_MEDIUM complete
    >

    > So as far as netbackup is concerned we are trying to mount an LTO2 tape into
    > an LTO1 drive so it's rejecting it. As for how I get around this problem,
    > I have no idea at this stage, I guess we should be working towards having
    > all tapes correctly marked, however all I have is L2 barcodes at the moment
    > and I'm not sure how I would go about relabeling used tapes without losing
    > information on what they have on them.
    >
    > Is anyone aware of a way to disable netbackup using the identifier so in
    > effect it acts like version 4.5? This would let me continue using the tapes
    > as I have in the past and to slowly cycle them out until I have everything
    > labelled properly.
    >
    > Any suggestions or ideas are most appreciated!
    >
    > James
    >

    > "James Smith" j.smith wrote:
    >>
    >> We have a StorageTek L180 Library with 2 x Seagate Ultrium LTO1 drives and
    >> 2 x HP Ultrium2 drives. Since upgrading to Netbackup 6.0 we have noticed
    >> that any job that attempts to use the Seagate drives fails with the following
    >> error:
    >>
    >> 11/09/2005 13:22:06 - Error bptm (pid=2274) error requesting media,
    >> TpErrno = Robot operation failed
    >> 11/09/2005 13:22:07 - Warning bptm (pid=2274) media id 000325 load
    >> operation reported an error
    >>
    >> If we down the two Seagate drives to force the HP's to be used instead,

    > the
    >> job is completed without error. We are using LTO1 tapes only so the tape
    >> is compatible with either drive.
    >>
    >> Anyone had this problem or have any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >> James

+ Reply to Thread