Netbackup benefits - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Netbackup benefits - Veritas Net Backup ; Is there any benefit to running the NetBackup master/media server on a Linux box rather than Windows?...

  1. Netbackup benefits

    Is there any benefit to running the NetBackup master/media server on a Linux
    box rather than Windows?

  2. Re: Netbackup benefits

    "Chris" wrote:

    >Is there any benefit to running the NetBackup master/media server on a Linux
    >box rather than Windows?

    I currently run NB5.1MP3 on windows servers. I'm a Unix admin so I might
    be biased but I find windows is not such a good platform for NB. My main
    issue right now (which I'm posting separately about) is that it's hard to
    control access to the windows server. For example, our windows servers do
    not normally allow users to login to them (interactive login is disabled)
    and managing NB with this policy in place is proving to be troublesome.
    I can't run the Java client because it only runs for users with interactive
    login privileges and local administrator access (we can't grant either of
    those privileges to our operators) and running the administration console
    requires registering each operator's PC as a NetBackup server!! It also
    means that *anyone* who logs in to that operator's PC could have complete
    access to NetBackup. Some of these problems would exist on a Unix system
    as well but at least on Unix you can script around it using shell scripts
    and sudo if necessary.

    If I had to do this deployment again I'd have used at least Linux and probably
    Sun V240's.

    Mark

  3. Re: Netbackup benefits

    "Chris" wrote:

    >Is there any benefit to running the NetBackup master/media server on a Linux
    >box rather than Windows?

    Yes, but it all depends on how well versed you are with LINUX or UNIX class
    servers, in my opinon the benifits are that you can manage the system more
    effectivly. IE more tools Sendmail, Cron. You can see the code on UNIX,
    Bill G has the code in his closet!

+ Reply to Thread