Error (84) write errors - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Error (84) write errors - Veritas Net Backup ; After upgrading to Enterprise 5.1 MP3A we have been getting an increase in the number of media write errors (84), media read errors (85) and position errors (86). Media and seagate lto1 drives are replaced when we get the errors ...

  1. Error (84) write errors

    After upgrading to Enterprise 5.1 MP3A we have been getting an increase in
    the number of media write errors (84), media read errors (85) and position
    errors (86).
    Media and seagate lto1 drives are replaced when we get the errors but we
    still get them.
    I'm not convinced these errors are all down to bad media and faulty lto
    drives.

    We have upgraded Drive firmware, L700 tape library firmware, sg driver upgraded,
    st driver upgrade on the Solaris 8 master server to try and solve the problem
    to no avail.

    Has anybody else had similar problems? Can anybody suggest where I should
    look next?

    Many thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Error (84) write errors

    MP3A supposedly fixed the the position (read) errors (NetBackup software
    error) with certain multiplexed tapes, but I'm getting some with
    MP3A(plus security fix). Support has asked me for a reinstall of MP3A.

    The Seagate LTO1 drives seem to like to be cleaned. At around 250-300
    hours, my drives turn on the "clean me" light, and errors tend to occur
    if that signal is not heeded.

    I've had more drives fail than tape media over the past three years (5
    drives, 400 media in use), in fact all my drives are now less than a
    year old ... and I only request a drive replacement after multiple
    errors, and multiple cleanings don't eliminate the problems.

    cheers, wayne

    dfowkes wrote:
    > After upgrading to Enterprise 5.1 MP3A we have been getting an increase in
    > the number of media write errors (84), media read errors (85) and position
    > errors (86).
    > Media and seagate lto1 drives are replaced when we get the errors but we
    > still get them.
    > I'm not convinced these errors are all down to bad media and faulty lto
    > drives.
    >
    > We have upgraded Drive firmware, L700 tape library firmware, sg driver upgraded,
    > st driver upgrade on the Solaris 8 master server to try and solve the problem
    > to no avail.
    >
    > Has anybody else had similar problems? Can anybody suggest where I should
    > look next?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.

+ Reply to Thread