vxfivspcachetemp files - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on vxfivspcachetemp files - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello, We are running NetBackup 5.1 MP1 on a very large network and we are getting very large hidden files on our servers' C: drives called _vxfiVspCacheFile.tmp. These files are taking up entire disks on a regular basis. I have ...

  1. vxfivspcachetemp files

    Hello,

    We are running NetBackup 5.1 MP1 on a very large network and we are getting
    very large hidden files on our servers' C: drives called
    _vxfiVspCacheFile.tmp. These files are taking up entire disks on a regular
    basis. I have seen them get as large as 12GB on our wee little 17GB hard
    drives. Since these files are on the system volume, this creates problems
    in short order. Nightly we have to check our servers to see if any of these
    files are accumulating so that we can delete them before they become an
    issue. The problem is that we typically can't just delete them because of a
    sharing violation. Even with no backups or restores running or queued, we
    are usually forced to reboot the server in order to clear these files out.
    If anybody can tell me what they are or, more importantly, if there is any
    way to keep them from filling up the C: drive in the first place, we would
    greatly appreciate it.

    Thank you,

    Jerry

  2. Re: vxfivspcachetemp files

    Yikes! Didn't mean to make anyone think I work for Veritas there! Little
    news reader configuration snafu there, sorry about that.

    Jerry

    "Veritas" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > We are running NetBackup 5.1 MP1 on a very large network and we are

    getting
    > very large hidden files on our servers' C: drives called
    > _vxfiVspCacheFile.tmp. These files are taking up entire disks on a

    regular
    > basis. I have seen them get as large as 12GB on our wee little 17GB hard
    > drives. Since these files are on the system volume, this creates problems
    > in short order. Nightly we have to check our servers to see if any of

    these
    > files are accumulating so that we can delete them before they become an
    > issue. The problem is that we typically can't just delete them because of

    > sharing violation. Even with no backups or restores running or queued, we
    > are usually forced to reboot the server in order to clear these files out.
    > If anybody can tell me what they are or, more importantly, if there is any
    > way to keep them from filling up the C: drive in the first place, we would
    > greatly appreciate it.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Jerry

  3. Re: vxfivspcachetemp files

    Those files are left over from the VSP portion of NetBackup.

    As I call, the bug that left them there is fixed in 5.1MP3.

    You *may* erase them, but as you've seen, you can have problems trying
    to erase them. Yes, a reboot makes them available for erase.

    There's a workaround to save you from the reboot, but I don't recall
    where I saw it (this list, support site, or veritas-bu mailing list).

    Another workaround is to disable VSP. If you don't need VSP, on the
    Admin Console, go to NetBackup Management -> Host Properties -> Master
    Server and right click on your host and click Properties. Click Client
    Attributes and then click your client of interest. On the Windows Open
    File Backup tab, uncheck the "Enable Windows Open File Backups...".

    If you're running a Windows 2003 Server, using the Microsoft VSS is an
    alternative workaround, and perhaps preferable if the function is needed.

    cheers, wayne

    (Jerry) wrote, in part, on 10/21/2005 3:42 AM:
    > We are running NetBackup 5.1 MP1 on a very large network and we are getting
    > very large hidden files on our servers' C: drives called
    > _vxfiVspCacheFile.tmp. These files are taking up entire disks on a regular
    > basis. I have seen them get as large as 12GB on our wee little 17GB hard
    > drives. Since these files are on the system volume, this creates problems
    > in short order. Nightly we have to check our servers to see if any of these
    > files are accumulating so that we can delete them before they become an
    > issue. The problem is that we typically can't just delete them because of a
    > sharing violation. Even with no backups or restores running or queued, we
    > are usually forced to reboot the server in order to clear these files out.
    > If anybody can tell me what they are or, more importantly, if there is any
    > way to keep them from filling up the C: drive in the first place, we would
    > greatly appreciate it.

  4. Re: vxfivspcachetemp files

    The file are a result of the VSP snapshot cache and usually they get cleared
    up after a backup but because of Antivirus Software running it holds onto
    the processes and the files are not removed after the backup completes.

    Its not fixed in 5.1 MP3 as its due to Antivirus causing the issue through
    realtime scanning or a manual scan/scheduled scan running at the time.

    You can reboot the server and remove the file after reboot but better use
    the freeware processxp utility from Sysinternals.

    Read the following veritas/symantec articles on the issue and resolution
    - you should also look at adding the _vxfivspcache*.tmp to your Antivirus
    exclusion list (though if you are running SAV its a problem because you cant
    exclude a single file only a folder or extension and you cant exlude C or
    D for example!!)

    and to use the freeware utility and not reboot:

    If you do enable VSP it will use the volume with the most free space so it
    could be C, D, E etc etc - you can also however manually set the cache volume
    from the netbackup master server in the client host properties under the
    VSP section.

    Cheers,

    Mike

    Wayne T Smith wrote:
    >Those files are left over from the VSP portion of NetBackup.
    >
    >As I call, the bug that left them there is fixed in 5.1MP3.
    >
    >You *may* erase them, but as you've seen, you can have problems trying
    >to erase them. Yes, a reboot makes them available for erase.
    >
    >There's a workaround to save you from the reboot, but I don't recall
    >where I saw it (this list, support site, or veritas-bu mailing list).
    >
    >Another workaround is to disable VSP. If you don't need VSP, on the
    >Admin Console, go to NetBackup Management -> Host Properties -> Master
    >Server and right click on your host and click Properties. Click Client

    >Attributes and then click your client of interest. On the Windows Open

    >File Backup tab, uncheck the "Enable Windows Open File Backups...".
    >
    >If you're running a Windows 2003 Server, using the Microsoft VSS is an
    >alternative workaround, and perhaps preferable if the function is needed.
    >
    >cheers, wayne
    >
    >(Jerry) wrote, in part, on 10/21/2005 3:42 AM:
    >> We are running NetBackup 5.1 MP1 on a very large network and we are getting
    >> very large hidden files on our servers' C: drives called
    >> _vxfiVspCacheFile.tmp. These files are taking up entire disks on a regular
    >> basis. I have seen them get as large as 12GB on our wee little 17GB hard
    >> drives. Since these files are on the system volume, this creates problems
    >> in short order. Nightly we have to check our servers to see if any of

    these
    >> files are accumulating so that we can delete them before they become an
    >> issue. The problem is that we typically can't just delete them because

    of a
    >> sharing violation. Even with no backups or restores running or queued,

    we
    >> are usually forced to reboot the server in order to clear these files

    out.
    >> If anybody can tell me what they are or, more importantly, if there is

    any
    >> way to keep them from filling up the C: drive in the first place, we would
    >> greatly appreciate it.

  5. Re: vxfivspcachetemp files

    We are having the same problem running 5.1MP3. We found that our anti-virus
    software is keeping the files locked. The suggested fix was to add the _vxfivspcache*.tmp
    string to the AntiVirus exclude list (http://support.veritas.com/docs/269558).
    However, does anyone know how to add an exclusion string in Symantec Anti-Virus
    - we are able to add the extension exclusions or specific file exclusions,
    but not a string.

    Wayne T Smith wrote:
    >Those files are left over from the VSP portion of NetBackup.
    >
    >As I call, the bug that left them there is fixed in 5.1MP3.
    >
    >You *may* erase them, but as you've seen, you can have problems trying
    >to erase them. Yes, a reboot makes them available for erase.
    >
    >There's a workaround to save you from the reboot, but I don't recall
    >where I saw it (this list, support site, or veritas-bu mailing list).
    >
    >Another workaround is to disable VSP. If you don't need VSP, on the
    >Admin Console, go to NetBackup Management -> Host Properties -> Master
    >Server and right click on your host and click Properties. Click Client

    >Attributes and then click your client of interest. On the Windows Open

    >File Backup tab, uncheck the "Enable Windows Open File Backups...".
    >
    >If you're running a Windows 2003 Server, using the Microsoft VSS is an
    >alternative workaround, and perhaps preferable if the function is needed.
    >
    >cheers, wayne
    >
    >(Jerry) wrote, in part, on 10/21/2005 3:42 AM:
    >> We are running NetBackup 5.1 MP1 on a very large network and we are getting
    >> very large hidden files on our servers' C: drives called
    >> _vxfiVspCacheFile.tmp. These files are taking up entire disks on a regular
    >> basis. I have seen them get as large as 12GB on our wee little 17GB hard
    >> drives. Since these files are on the system volume, this creates problems
    >> in short order. Nightly we have to check our servers to see if any of

    these
    >> files are accumulating so that we can delete them before they become an
    >> issue. The problem is that we typically can't just delete them because

    of a
    >> sharing violation. Even with no backups or restores running or queued,

    we
    >> are usually forced to reboot the server in order to clear these files

    out.
    >> If anybody can tell me what they are or, more importantly, if there is

    any
    >> way to keep them from filling up the C: drive in the first place, we would
    >> greatly appreciate it.

  6. Re: vxfivspcachetemp files

    I was having the same problem and finally after talking to Veritas a couple
    times the proble is that this is turned on as a default. To disable it you
    must do the following:

    =====Disabling Open File Backup(NBU 5.x)=====
    1. In the Administration Console, under Host properties click on Master,
    then properties on your Master Server.
    2. In the Master Server Properties window, click on client attributes, and
    if your client is not listed, add it.
    3. Once added, Highlight the client and click on the 'Windows Open File
    Backup' tab on the right.
    4. Remove the check from the checkbox for 'Enable Windows Open File Backups
    for this client.'
    5. Choose ok, and cycle the netbackup services on your master server.
    =====Disabling Open File Backup(NBU 5.x)=====

    Add each of your servers and disable the option.

    "Angela Pompey" wrote in message

    > We are having the same problem running 5.1MP3. We found that our
    > anti-virus
    > software is keeping the files locked. The suggested fix was to add the
    > _vxfivspcache*.tmp
    > string to the AntiVirus exclude list
    > (http://support.veritas.com/docs/269558).
    > However, does anyone know how to add an exclusion string in Symantec
    > Anti-Virus
    > - we are able to add the extension exclusions or specific file exclusions,
    > but not a string.
    >
    > Wayne T Smith wrote:
    >>Those files are left over from the VSP portion of NetBackup.
    >>
    >>As I call, the bug that left them there is fixed in 5.1MP3.
    >>
    >>You *may* erase them, but as you've seen, you can have problems trying
    >>to erase them. Yes, a reboot makes them available for erase.
    >>
    >>There's a workaround to save you from the reboot, but I don't recall
    >>where I saw it (this list, support site, or veritas-bu mailing list).
    >>
    >>Another workaround is to disable VSP. If you don't need VSP, on the
    >>Admin Console, go to NetBackup Management -> Host Properties -> Master
    >>Server and right click on your host and click Properties. Click Client

    >>Attributes and then click your client of interest. On the Windows Open

    >>File Backup tab, uncheck the "Enable Windows Open File Backups...".
    >>
    >>If you're running a Windows 2003 Server, using the Microsoft VSS is an
    >>alternative workaround, and perhaps preferable if the function is needed.
    >>
    >>cheers, wayne
    >>
    >>(Jerry) wrote, in part, on 10/21/2005 3:42 AM:
    >>> We are running NetBackup 5.1 MP1 on a very large network and we are
    >>> getting
    >>> very large hidden files on our servers' C: drives called
    >>> _vxfiVspCacheFile.tmp. These files are taking up entire disks on a
    >>> regular
    >>> basis. I have seen them get as large as 12GB on our wee little 17GB
    >>> hard
    >>> drives. Since these files are on the system volume, this creates
    >>> problems
    >>> in short order. Nightly we have to check our servers to see if any of

    > these
    >>> files are accumulating so that we can delete them before they become an
    >>> issue. The problem is that we typically can't just delete them because

    > of a
    >>> sharing violation. Even with no backups or restores running or queued,

    > we
    >>> are usually forced to reboot the server in order to clear these files

    > out.
    >>> If anybody can tell me what they are or, more importantly, if there is

    > any
    >>> way to keep them from filling up the C: drive in the first place, we
    >>> would
    >>> greatly appreciate it.

+ Reply to Thread