Cannot Unassign Media, cannot delete it either!!! - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Cannot Unassign Media, cannot delete it either!!! - Veritas Net Backup ; I clean out old, frozen tapes from time to time. Typically I run the bpexpdate command like this: bpexpdate -m EE036S -d 0 Then I can delete them out of the DB in the GUI. I have a tape that ...

  1. Cannot Unassign Media, cannot delete it either!!!

    I clean out old, frozen tapes from time to time.

    Typically I run the bpexpdate command like this:
    bpexpdate -m EE036S -d 0

    Then I can delete them out of the DB in the GUI.

    I have a tape that I cannot Unassign. It gives the error
    "Requested media id was not found in NB media database and/or MM volume database"

    However the media shows up in its volume pool. I cannot change it or delete
    it b/c I get the error message " Could not delete EE036S. It is assigned."

    Any ideas here?

    This is pretty aggravating.

    thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Cannot Unassign Media, cannot delete it either!!!

    Have you got more than one media server? If you are running the command on
    a media server other than the one that wrote the backups on the tape, you
    will need to use the -host switch with the name of the media server.

    HTH

    "Paul" wrote in message news:435529ca@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > I clean out old, frozen tapes from time to time.
    >
    > Typically I run the bpexpdate command like this:
    > bpexpdate -m EE036S -d 0
    >
    > Then I can delete them out of the DB in the GUI.
    >
    > I have a tape that I cannot Unassign. It gives the error
    > "Requested media id was not found in NB media database and/or MM volume
    > database"
    >
    > However the media shows up in its volume pool. I cannot change it or
    > delete
    > it b/c I get the error message " Could not delete EE036S. It is
    > assigned."
    >
    > Any ideas here?
    >
    > This is pretty aggravating.
    >
    > thanks in advance.

  3. Re: Cannot Unassign Media, cannot delete it either!!!

    Hi Paul,

    I have had this error when I tried the command from the wrong mediaserver.

    regards
    Dirk

    "Paul" wrote:

    >I clean out old, frozen tapes from time to time.
    >
    >Typically I run the bpexpdate command like this:
    >bpexpdate -m EE036S -d 0
    >
    >Then I can delete them out of the DB in the GUI.
    >
    >I have a tape that I cannot Unassign. It gives the error
    >"Requested media id was not found in NB media database and/or MM volume

    database"

    >However the media shows up in its volume pool. I cannot change it or delete
    >it b/c I get the error message " Could not delete EE036S. It is assigned."
    >
    >Any ideas here?
    >
    >This is pretty aggravating.
    >
    >thanks in advance.

  4. Re: Cannot Unassign Media, cannot delete it either!!!

    "Paul" wrote:

    >I clean out old, frozen tapes from time to time.
    >
    >Typically I run the bpexpdate command like this:
    >bpexpdate -m EE036S -d 0
    >
    >Then I can delete them out of the DB in the GUI.
    >
    >I have a tape that I cannot Unassign. It gives the error
    >"Requested media id was not found in NB media database and/or MM volume

    database"

    >However the media shows up in its volume pool. I cannot change it or delete
    >it b/c I get the error message " Could not delete EE036S. It is assigned."
    >
    >Any ideas here?
    >
    >This is pretty aggravating.
    >
    >thanks in advance.

    I've run into the same thing before. First of all, find out what media server
    the media is assigned to:

    ie bpmedialist -U -m media_id

    Then use that in your bpexpdate command:

    bpexpdate -d 0 -host media_server -m media_id -force

    If this doesn't work, run

    vmquery -m media_id

    and find out the volume pool and status code. Take those and run

    vmquery -deassignbyid media_id volume_pool status_code

    [status code will look something like 0x0. Use just the trailing "0".]

    Scott

  5. Re: Cannot Unassign Media, cannot delete it either!!!

    >If this doesn't work, run
    >
    >vmquery -m media_id
    >
    >and find out the volume pool and status code. Take those and run
    >
    >vmquery -deassignbyid media_id volume_pool status_code
    >
    >[status code will look something like 0x0. Use just the trailing "0".]
    >

    >Scott

    This last section was gold! Thank you!
    -Aric-

  6. Re: Cannot Unassign Media, cannot delete it either!!!

    I am having the same problem. Veritas Support: Please help us!

    "Paul" wrote:

    >I clean out old, frozen tapes from time to time.
    >
    >Typically I run the bpexpdate command like this:
    >bpexpdate -m EE036S -d 0
    >
    >Then I can delete them out of the DB in the GUI.
    >
    >I have a tape that I cannot Unassign. It gives the error
    >"Requested media id was not found in NB media database and/or MM volume

    database"

    >However the media shows up in its volume pool. I cannot change it or delete
    >it b/c I get the error message " Could not delete EE036S. It is assigned."
    >
    >Any ideas here?
    >
    >This is pretty aggravating.
    >
    >thanks in advance.

  7. Re: Cannot Unassign Media, cannot delete it either!!!

    You should to use vmquery

    regards
    marekk

    Jeff Guth wrote:
    > I am having the same problem. Veritas Support: Please help us!
    >
    > "Paul" wrote:
    >
    >>I clean out old, frozen tapes from time to time.
    >>
    >>Typically I run the bpexpdate command like this:
    >>bpexpdate -m EE036S -d 0
    >>
    >>Then I can delete them out of the DB in the GUI.
    >>
    >>I have a tape that I cannot Unassign. It gives the error
    >>"Requested media id was not found in NB media database and/or MM volume

    > database"
    >
    >>However the media shows up in its volume pool. I cannot change it or delete
    >>it b/c I get the error message " Could not delete EE036S. It is assigned."
    >>
    >>Any ideas here?
    >>
    >>This is pretty aggravating.
    >>
    >>thanks in advance.

  8. Re: Cannot Unassign Media, cannot delete it either!!!

    Have you tried to update the volume configuration inventorying the robot before
    bpexpdate. Do you see any messages in the robot led panel?

    Best regards.

    "Jeff Guth" wrote:

    >I am having the same problem. Veritas Support: Please help us!
    >
    >"Paul" wrote:
    >>
    >>I clean out old, frozen tapes from time to time.
    >>
    >>Typically I run the bpexpdate command like this:
    >>bpexpdate -m EE036S -d 0
    >>
    >>Then I can delete them out of the DB in the GUI.
    >>
    >>I have a tape that I cannot Unassign. It gives the error
    >>"Requested media id was not found in NB media database and/or MM volume

    >database"
    >>
    >>However the media shows up in its volume pool. I cannot change it or delete
    >>it b/c I get the error message " Could not delete EE036S. It is assigned."
    >>
    >>Any ideas here?
    >>
    >>This is pretty aggravating.
    >>
    >>thanks in advance.

  9. Re: Cannot Unassign Media, cannot delete it either!!!

    marek wrote:
    >You should to use vmquery
    >
    >regards
    >marekk
    >

    >Jeff Guth wrote:
    >> I am having the same problem. Veritas Support: Please help us!
    >>
    >> "Paul" wrote:
    >>
    >>>I clean out old, frozen tapes from time to time.
    >>>
    >>>Typically I run the bpexpdate command like this:
    >>>bpexpdate -m EE036S -d 0
    >>>
    >>>Then I can delete them out of the DB in the GUI.
    >>>
    >>>I have a tape that I cannot Unassign. It gives the error
    >>>"Requested media id was not found in NB media database and/or MM volume

    >> database"
    >>
    >>>However the media shows up in its volume pool. I cannot change it or

    delete
    >>>it b/c I get the error message " Could not delete EE036S. It is assigned."
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas here?
    >>>
    >>>This is pretty aggravating.
    >>>
    >>>thanks in advance.

    I think you may be seeing an issue we see from time to time:

    Symptoms:
    bpexpdate will not working because it says media not found in database.
    vmchange doesn't work because it says the volume is assigned.
    vmdelete doesn't work because it saus the volume is assigned.
    bpmedia freeze/unfreeze doesn't work because it says media not found in database.

    However, 'vmquery -m ':
    created: Wed Jun 18 23:38:19 2003
    assigned: Sun Sep 28 19:56:40 2003 <<< last mounted: Sun Sep 28 19:58:17 2003
    first mount: Sun Sep 28 19:58:17 2003
    expiration date: --- <<<<< NO DATE
    number of mounts: 1
    max mounts allowed: ---
    status: 0x0

    Here the status shows 0x0 which means that it is assigned and used for a
    client backup.

    This is how we solved our problem:
    vmquery -deassignbyid

    vmquery -deassignbyid 4 0x0
    media ID:
    media type: 1/2" cartridge tape (6)
    barcode:
    media description: LTO tapes
    volume pool: scratch (2)
    robot type: NONE - Not Robotic (0)
    volume group: ARCUS
    vault name: ---
    vault sent date: ---
    vault return date: ---
    vault slot: ---
    vault session id: ---
    created: Wed Jun 18 23:38:19 2003
    assigned: ---
    last mounted: Sun Sep 28 19:58:17 2003
    first mount: Sun Sep 28 19:58:17 2003
    expiration date: ---
    number of mounts: 1
    max mounts allowed: ---

    We have seen a spattering of this problem and have yet to identify any commonality
    between them.

    If anyone else has this issue or knows more about it, please post here. It
    seems like an 'undocumented feature' to me.

    -CC

+ Reply to Thread