Netbackup only writes 32kb of data - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Netbackup only writes 32kb of data - Veritas Net Backup ; I got Netbackup 5.1 (just upgraded to 3A-M) running on a Solaris 9 server which is also the client. Netbackup is supposed to backup export files from an Oracle 10G DB. Because these files are exports, there's no Oracle agent ...

  1. Netbackup only writes 32kb of data

    I got Netbackup 5.1 (just upgraded to 3A-M) running on a Solaris 9 server
    which is also the client. Netbackup is supposed to backup export files from
    an Oracle 10G DB. Because these files are exports, there's no Oracle agent
    running on the server.

    However, what happens is that I set up a backup policy (test or daily or
    weekend or whatever) for backing up /backup/TRY4 which is where the export
    files are.
    Wether I chose disk staging or back up to tape, Netbackup starts the backup,
    writes 32kb of data and say the backup completed successfully. Even though
    there are over 9GB of data in the folder.

    If I test backup any other folder, /usr or /oracle, it works, but /backup/TRY4
    just simply won't work. There doesn't seem to be any logic behind why it
    doesn't work, if I use the same profile but change the folder to be backed
    up, it works.

    Does anyone know what's wrong?

    Regards

    Stig Bull

  2. Re: Netbackup only writes 32kb of data

    in article 434a6659@ROSASTDMZ05., Stig Bull at
    stig.bull.no.spam@hugingroup.com wrote on 10/10/05 6:02 AM:

    > I got Netbackup 5.1 (just upgraded to 3A-M) running on a Solaris 9 server
    > which is also the client. Netbackup is supposed to backup export files from
    > an Oracle 10G DB. Because these files are exports, there's no Oracle agent
    > running on the server.
    >
    > However, what happens is that I set up a backup policy (test or daily or
    > weekend or whatever) for backing up /backup/TRY4 which is where the export
    > files are.
    > Wether I chose disk staging or back up to tape, Netbackup starts the backup,
    > writes 32kb of data and say the backup completed successfully. Even though
    > there are over 9GB of data in the folder.
    >
    > If I test backup any other folder, /usr or /oracle, it works, but /backup/TRY4
    > just simply won't work. There doesn't seem to be any logic behind why it
    > doesn't work, if I use the same profile but change the folder to be backed
    > up, it works.
    >
    > Does anyone know what's wrong?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Stig Bull

    Is /backup or /backup/TRY4 an NFS mount?

  3. Re: Netbackup only writes 32kb of data

    "Stig Bull" wrote:

    >I got Netbackup 5.1 (just upgraded to 3A-M) running on a Solaris 9 server
    >which is also the client. Netbackup is supposed to backup export files from
    >an Oracle 10G DB. Because these files are exports, there's no Oracle agent
    >running on the server.
    >
    >However, what happens is that I set up a backup policy (test or daily or
    >weekend or whatever) for backing up /backup/TRY4 which is where the export
    >files are.
    >Wether I chose disk staging or back up to tape, Netbackup starts the backup,
    >writes 32kb of data and say the backup completed successfully. Even though
    >there are over 9GB of data in the folder.
    >
    >If I test backup any other folder, /usr or /oracle, it works, but /backup/TRY4
    >just simply won't work. There doesn't seem to be any logic behind why it
    >doesn't work, if I use the same profile but change the folder to be backed
    >up, it works.
    >
    >Does anyone know what's wrong?
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Stig Bull

    I would check into how this volume is mounted. It looks like NB is writing
    a header and waiting for more data but it can't see/access the data. Also
    check the permissions for anything funky on /backup/TRY4.

    Also, try create a dummy directory on /backup and fill it with a few M of
    data and back that up; same results?

    Scott

  4. Re: Netbackup only writes 32kb of data

    In article , fsck@smicker.com says...

    > Is /backup or /backup/TRY4 an NFS mount?

    No it isn't, but I forgot to add, /backup is the disk staging area.
    Could that have anything to do with it?

    --
    Stig Bull

  5. Re: Netbackup only writes 32kb of data

    In article <434aec16@ROSASTDMZ05.>, scott.nishimura@ngc.com says...

    > I would check into how this volume is mounted. It looks like NB is writing
    > a header and waiting for more data but it can't see/access the data. Also
    > check the permissions for anything funky on /backup/TRY4.

    The volume is not mounted in any special way:

    #device device mount FS fsck mount mount
    #to mount to fsck point type pass at boot opts
    /dev/md/dsk/d32 /dev/md/rdsk/d32 /backup ufs 1 yes -

    Permissions:
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 1024 Oct 11 08:30 backup
    drwxr-xr-x 2 oracle oinstall 512 Aug 26 10:40 TRY4

    > Also, try create a dummy directory on /backup and fill it with a few M of
    > data and back that up; same results?

    Yes:
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root other 512 Oct 11 08:28 test

    root@skuld:/backup# >ls -la test
    total 1248068
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root other 512 Oct 11 08:28 .
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 1024 Oct 11 08:30 ..
    -rw-r----- 1 root other 638676992 Oct 11 08:28 TRY4_2_0fgt1rlv_
    1_1.arc

    And netbackup just begins writing and ends writing 2 seconds later,
    saying "the requested operation was successfully completed (0)

    However if I move /test with the same content to /usr (the root device
    is too small to hold that file), netbackup backups the entire folder,
    all 600 or so MB of data.

    This leads me to believe that it's either because /backup is the disk
    staging area or something weird with permissions. Something like that.

    Is it possible to set netbackup into debug mode or can I change the
    logging level?

    --
    Stig Bull

  6. Re: Netbackup only writes 32kb of data

    In article ,
    stig.bull.no.spam@hugingroup.com says...

    > Is it possible to set netbackup into debug mode or can I change the
    > logging level?

    Just to answer my own question, I set the logging level to 5 and created
    the directories for the processes under /opt/openv/netbackup/logs. I did
    a few more test backups, but in the log files, what am I looking for?
    I see "something" in the log files, but I don't know if they are errors
    or just informational messages, as this in bpsched:
    09:43:31.838 [27879] <4> log_in_errorDB: client skuld handling path
    /backup/TRY4

    --
    Stig Bull
    | remove .no.spam from my email address to reply by mail |

  7. Re: Netbackup only writes 32kb of data

    Stig Bull wrote:
    >In article <434aec16@ROSASTDMZ05.>, scott.nishimura@ngc.com says...
    >
    >> I would check into how this volume is mounted. It looks like NB is writing
    >> a header and waiting for more data but it can't see/access the data.

    Also
    >> check the permissions for anything funky on /backup/TRY4.

    >The volume is not mounted in any special way:
    >
    >#device device mount FS fsck mount mount
    >#to mount to fsck point type pass at boot opts
    >/dev/md/dsk/d32 /dev/md/rdsk/d32 /backup ufs 1 yes -
    >
    >Permissions:
    >drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 1024 Oct 11 08:30 backup
    >drwxr-xr-x 2 oracle oinstall 512 Aug 26 10:40 TRY4
    >
    >> Also, try create a dummy directory on /backup and fill it with a few M

    of
    >> data and back that up; same results?

    >Yes:
    >drwxr-xr-x 2 root other 512 Oct 11 08:28 test
    >
    >root@skuld:/backup# >ls -la test
    >total 1248068
    >drwxr-xr-x 2 root other 512 Oct 11 08:28 .
    >drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 1024 Oct 11 08:30 ..
    >-rw-r----- 1 root other 638676992 Oct 11 08:28 TRY4_2_0fgt1rlv_
    >1_1.arc
    >
    >And netbackup just begins writing and ends writing 2 seconds later,
    >saying "the requested operation was successfully completed (0)
    >

    >However if I move /test with the same content to /usr (the root device
    >is too small to hold that file), netbackup backups the entire folder,
    >all 600 or so MB of data.
    >
    >This leads me to believe that it's either because /backup is the disk
    >staging area or something weird with permissions. Something like that.
    >
    >Is it possible to set netbackup into debug mode or can I change the
    >logging level?
    >

    >--
    >Stig Bull

    You mentioned that /backup/TRY4 is in the disk staging area: is it possible
    that NetBackup is putting some kind of lock on the disk staging area while
    a backup is in progress and therefore that's why you can't back it up? I
    don't use disk-to-disk so I have no experience in this but it seems reasonable.

    Scott

+ Reply to Thread