hosts_equal - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on hosts_equal - Veritas Net Backup ; Greetings, I am receiving these entries in bptm log: hosts_equal: hostnames DO NOT compare hosts_equal: name1=server_1 name2=server_2 hosts_equal: hostbuf=server_1.domain.com hostentry->h_name=server_2.domain.com hosts_equal: there were NO aliases for server_2.domain.com hosts_equal: compare server_2.domain.com with alias server_1 hosts_equal: addresses DO NOT match hosts_equal: server_1=0x650a0a0a ...

  1. hosts_equal

    Greetings,

    I am receiving these entries in bptm log:

    hosts_equal: hostnames DO NOT compare
    hosts_equal: name1=server_1 name2=server_2
    hosts_equal: hostbuf=server_1.domain.com hostentry->h_name=server_2.domain.com
    hosts_equal: there were NO aliases for server_2.domain.com
    hosts_equal: compare server_2.domain.com with alias server_1
    hosts_equal: addresses DO NOT match
    hosts_equal: server_1=0x650a0a0a server_2=0x5180a0a

    Is this something to be concerned with? Where is this coming from?

    Thanks,

    Grant

  2. Re: hosts_equal

    To state 'the bleeding obvious', looks like a name resolution issue.

    Try using the bpclntcmd command to establish if all is OK.

    "Grant Sturgis" wrote:

    >Greetings,
    >
    >I am receiving these entries in bptm log:
    >
    >hosts_equal: hostnames DO NOT compare
    >hosts_equal: name1=server_1 name2=server_2
    >hosts_equal: hostbuf=server_1.domain.com hostentry->h_name=server_2.domain.com
    >hosts_equal: there were NO aliases for server_2.domain.com
    >hosts_equal: compare server_2.domain.com with alias server_1
    >hosts_equal: addresses DO NOT match
    >hosts_equal: server_1=0x650a0a0a server_2=0x5180a0a
    >
    >Is this something to be concerned with? Where is this coming from?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Grant

  3. Re: hosts_equal

    Ola junta

    i assume server1 and server2 are the names of the same client machine, heres
    a procedure i hope this helps you in investigation of the problem

    1)do a bpclntcmd -pn on the client check out the name of the client
    2)do a bpclntcmd -self on the client check out the name of the client
    3) do the above entries match
    4)if not check out the client name in the backup up archive module on the
    client
    start--programs--veritas netbackup--backup archive module--client settings
    5)check out the client name on the master server
    6)if differrent change it to the hostname of the client currently as well
    as change the client name in the client settings.

    i hope this helps, please do tell us on recent developments, looking forward
    to your mail

    "Grant Sturgis" wrote:

    >Greetings,
    >
    >I am receiving these entries in bptm log:
    >
    >hosts_equal: hostnames DO NOT compare
    >hosts_equal: name1=server_1 name2=server_2
    >hosts_equal: hostbuf=server_1.domain.com hostentry->h_name=server_2.domain.com
    >hosts_equal: there were NO aliases for server_2.domain.com
    >hosts_equal: compare server_2.domain.com with alias server_1
    >hosts_equal: addresses DO NOT match
    >hosts_equal: server_1=0x650a0a0a server_2=0x5180a0a
    >
    >Is this something to be concerned with? Where is this coming from?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Grant

  4. Re: hosts_equal

    "maverick" wrote:

    >Ola junta
    >
    >i assume server1 and server2 are the names of the same client machine,

    heres
    >a procedure i hope this helps you in investigation of the problem
    >
    >1)do a bpclntcmd -pn on the client check out the name of the client
    >2)do a bpclntcmd -self on the client check out the name of the client
    >3) do the above entries match
    >4)if not check out the client name in the backup up archive module on the
    >client
    >start--programs--veritas netbackup--backup archive module--client settings
    >5)check out the client name on the master server
    >6)if differrent change it to the hostname of the client currently as well
    >as change the client name in the client settings.
    >

    >i hope this helps, please do tell us on recent developments, looking forward
    >to your mail
    >

    >"Grant Sturgis" wrote:
    >>
    >>Greetings,
    >>
    >>I am receiving these entries in bptm log:
    >>
    >>hosts_equal: hostnames DO NOT compare
    >>hosts_equal: name1=server_1 name2=server_2
    >>hosts_equal: hostbuf=server_1.domain.com hostentry->h_name=server_2.domain.com
    >>hosts_equal: there were NO aliases for server_2.domain.com
    >>hosts_equal: compare server_2.domain.com with alias server_1
    >>hosts_equal: addresses DO NOT match
    >>hosts_equal: server_1=0x650a0a0a server_2=0x5180a0a
    >>
    >>Is this something to be concerned with? Where is this coming from?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Grant

    Please note that even on jobs that succeed, you will still probably get these
    messages because NetBackup is going down a list and comparing each one to
    the current name. Ultimately, the bpcd log should show a success.

    Scott

+ Reply to Thread