Rigid Scheduling Required - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Rigid Scheduling Required - Veritas Net Backup ; Is anyone aware of how to get netbackup to perform backups on a rigid timetable basis? I have the need to run a set of backups at precise 2hr intervals ie 8am , 10am etc but I cant get the ...

  1. Rigid Scheduling Required

    Is anyone aware of how to get netbackup to perform backups on a rigid timetable
    basis?
    I have the need to run a set of backups at precise 2hr intervals ie 8am
    , 10am etc but I cant get the scheduler to do this, as it only obeys the
    concept of time to elapse between backups, which means that setting this
    to 2hrs I get the first b/up at ~8am then the second will be at 8am plus
    a few more mins plus 2hrs and so on. The backup drifts further and further
    from what I require as the day goes on. Im loathe to set up individual policies
    to accomodate something so basic...that'd be 70 policies!
    Any thoughts?
    TIA, Jim

  2. Re: Rigid Scheduling Required

    in article 43426941@ROSASTDMZ05., Jim Dalton at jimdalton@yahoo.co.uk wrote
    on 10/4/05 4:36 AM:

    > Is anyone aware of how to get netbackup to perform backups on a rigid
    > timetable
    > basis?

    cron?

  3. Re: Rigid Scheduling Required

    ps wrote:
    >in article 43426941@ROSASTDMZ05., Jim Dalton at jimdalton@yahoo.co.uk wrote
    >on 10/4/05 4:36 AM:
    >

    >> Is anyone aware of how to get netbackup to perform backups on a rigid
    >> timetable
    >> basis?

    >cron?

    well cron, yes that would do it, but i was thinking more in terms of netbackup
    functionality -it seems like an obvious function to have (to me). using cron
    means the admin of backups has become decentralised, with associated headaches.
    it'll have to be cron if netbackup cant do it.

  4. Re: Rigid Scheduling Required

    You could try decreasing the wake up interval of bpsched to make it
    start the jobs sooner. It is set to wake every 10 minutes by default.
    There is no guarantee you won't still have some drift though. There is
    no way in NetBackup to tell a job to start precisely at x time. The
    only method is to use cron to manually kick off a job.

    JR

    On 4 Oct 2005 06:36:33 -0500, "Jim Dalton"
    wrote:

    >Is anyone aware of how to get netbackup to perform backups on a rigid timetable
    >basis?
    >I have the need to run a set of backups at precise 2hr intervals ie 8am
    >, 10am etc but I cant get the scheduler to do this, as it only obeys the
    >concept of time to elapse between backups, which means that setting this
    >to 2hrs I get the first b/up at ~8am then the second will be at 8am plus
    >a few more mins plus 2hrs and so on. The backup drifts further and further
    >from what I require as the day goes on. Im loathe to set up individual policies
    >to accomodate something so basic...that'd be 70 policies!
    >Any thoughts?
    >TIA, Jim

+ Reply to Thread