Netbackup 5.1 MP3 client (W2K) - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Netbackup 5.1 MP3 client (W2K) - Veritas Net Backup ; All, last week I upgrade our 4.5 environment to 5.1 MP3, and since have found some really bad problems with VSP. cache files being created and not cleared down, some of these are 12GB and created server issues. Our Master/Media ...

  1. Netbackup 5.1 MP3 client (W2K)

    All,

    last week I upgrade our 4.5 environment to 5.1 MP3, and since have found
    some really bad problems with VSP. cache files being created and not cleared
    down, some of these are 12GB and created server issues.

    Our Master/Media server run on HPux, but the clients with the VSP issues
    are W2K. Running VSP on 4.5 was as problematic as 5.1, has anyone had the
    same issues? I tried giving the cache file a max size from the client properties
    and this was always ignored it just seemed to grab as much as it wanted.

    After talking to Veritas they say it's a problem with the anti virus keeping
    hold of the VSP cache file, this was never a problem in 4.5 doesn anyone
    know what's changed with VSP in 5.1 to cause such a problem.

    We updated to 5.1 cause we had some intermittent problems with the VSPDRV.sys
    in 4.5 cause blue/black screens and were advised that 5.1 had the updated
    driver. What we didn't realise was that there are far bigger problems with
    VSP in 5.1.

    Has anyone recieved any reasonable and actionable answers from Veritas, at
    the moment we are goign to have to turn VSP off from the Media servers, cause
    turning off at the client no longer works on its own, as it did in 4.5.

    Regards

  2. Re: Netbackup 5.1 MP3 client (W2K)

    We have had the same problem.

    As a workaround we have had to exclude the .vsp from the A/V scan list AND
    use 'processkiller' to release the OS (windows 2k) grip on the file to delete
    it.

    We are still looking for the answer too.... we a reon the verge of MP5 due
    to the MYSQL security vulnerability so if that helps I'll post up again.

    "Nettie" wrote:

    >All,
    >
    >last week I upgrade our 4.5 environment to 5.1 MP3, and since have found
    >some really bad problems with VSP. cache files being created and not cleared
    >down, some of these are 12GB and created server issues.
    >
    >Our Master/Media server run on HPux, but the clients with the VSP issues
    >are W2K. Running VSP on 4.5 was as problematic as 5.1, has anyone had the
    >same issues? I tried giving the cache file a max size from the client properties
    >and this was always ignored it just seemed to grab as much as it wanted.
    >
    >After talking to Veritas they say it's a problem with the anti virus keeping
    >hold of the VSP cache file, this was never a problem in 4.5 doesn anyone
    >know what's changed with VSP in 5.1 to cause such a problem.
    >
    >We updated to 5.1 cause we had some intermittent problems with the VSPDRV.sys
    >in 4.5 cause blue/black screens and were advised that 5.1 had the updated
    >driver. What we didn't realise was that there are far bigger problems with
    >VSP in 5.1.
    >
    >Has anyone recieved any reasonable and actionable answers from Veritas,

    at
    >the moment we are goign to have to turn VSP off from the Media servers,

    cause
    >turning off at the client no longer works on its own, as it did in 4.5.
    >
    >Regards

  3. Re: Netbackup 5.1 MP3 client (W2K)

    One of the biggest changes in VSP is that when it fills up it does not flush
    and start filling the file again. It aborts the VSP process and leaves behing
    the *.vsp file.

    "Nettie" wrote:

    >All,
    >
    >last week I upgrade our 4.5 environment to 5.1 MP3, and since have found
    >some really bad problems with VSP. cache files being created and not cleared
    >down, some of these are 12GB and created server issues.
    >
    >Our Master/Media server run on HPux, but the clients with the VSP issues
    >are W2K. Running VSP on 4.5 was as problematic as 5.1, has anyone had the
    >same issues? I tried giving the cache file a max size from the client properties
    >and this was always ignored it just seemed to grab as much as it wanted.
    >
    >After talking to Veritas they say it's a problem with the anti virus keeping
    >hold of the VSP cache file, this was never a problem in 4.5 doesn anyone
    >know what's changed with VSP in 5.1 to cause such a problem.
    >
    >We updated to 5.1 cause we had some intermittent problems with the VSPDRV.sys
    >in 4.5 cause blue/black screens and were advised that 5.1 had the updated
    >driver. What we didn't realise was that there are far bigger problems with
    >VSP in 5.1.
    >
    >Has anyone recieved any reasonable and actionable answers from Veritas,

    at
    >the moment we are goign to have to turn VSP off from the Media servers,

    cause
    >turning off at the client no longer works on its own, as it did in 4.5.
    >
    >Regards

  4. Re: Netbackup 5.1 MP3 client (W2K)

    You can disable VSP on a client by client basis under the master
    server|client attributes|VSP setting. You have to add the client and
    then select the Windows Open File Backup option at which point you can
    check the box to disable Windows Open File Backup. After you made the
    change in the VSP properties on the master for the client regarding
    cache file size did you restart the client service on the client? If
    not, the change may not take hold.

    JR

    On 3 Oct 2005 04:00:45 -0500, "Nettie" wrote:

    >All,
    >
    >last week I upgrade our 4.5 environment to 5.1 MP3, and since have found
    >some really bad problems with VSP. cache files being created and not cleared
    >down, some of these are 12GB and created server issues.
    >
    >Our Master/Media server run on HPux, but the clients with the VSP issues
    >are W2K. Running VSP on 4.5 was as problematic as 5.1, has anyone had the
    >same issues? I tried giving the cache file a max size from the client properties
    >and this was always ignored it just seemed to grab as much as it wanted.
    >
    >After talking to Veritas they say it's a problem with the anti virus keeping
    >hold of the VSP cache file, this was never a problem in 4.5 doesn anyone
    >know what's changed with VSP in 5.1 to cause such a problem.
    >
    >We updated to 5.1 cause we had some intermittent problems with the VSPDRV.sys
    >in 4.5 cause blue/black screens and were advised that 5.1 had the updated
    >driver. What we didn't realise was that there are far bigger problems with
    >VSP in 5.1.
    >
    >Has anyone recieved any reasonable and actionable answers from Veritas, at
    >the moment we are goign to have to turn VSP off from the Media servers, cause
    >turning off at the client no longer works on its own, as it did in 4.5.
    >
    >Regards

+ Reply to Thread