Disk Staging Problems ... - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Disk Staging Problems ... - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi My customer has installed Netbackup 5.1 MP2 on Solaris 9... Sometimes there are problems with disk staging relocation from disk to tape.. When Netbackup finishes duplication of one backup id, duplicaton job hangs and there is no error message, ...

  1. Disk Staging Problems ...

    Hi
    My customer has installed Netbackup 5.1 MP2 on Solaris 9... Sometimes
    there are problems with disk staging relocation from disk to tape.. When
    Netbackup finishes duplication of one backup id, duplicaton job hangs
    and there is no error message, job is still active.. I can wait about 10
    hours and there is no difference.. I've found that it happens only when
    last fragment of image on disk has 0 kilobytes.. in catalog there is
    information that for example backup has 11 fragments with 11th - 0kb but
    on disk there is no file with this empty fragment.. in bpdm log there is
    information that last fragment has 0kilobytes - so will be skipped.. no
    error messages..

    Do you have any experience with this kind of issue ??

    regards
    marekk

  2. Re: Disk Staging Problems ...

    Hello,

    We have the same problems. Also running 5.1 MP2.
    Then we just kill the job and start the relocation again.
    Further we have the problem that the relocation ends with status 1.
    Example for today:
    30-9-2005 9:30:21 - Error bpduplicate(pid=6136) Status = successfully duplicated
    46 of 51 images.
    30-9-2005 9:30:21 - Error bpduplicate(pid=6136) Status = the requested operation
    was partially successful.
    After restarting the job the other 5 images were succesfully processed.

    marek wrote:
    >Hi
    >My customer has installed Netbackup 5.1 MP2 on Solaris 9... Sometimes
    >there are problems with disk staging relocation from disk to tape.. When
    >Netbackup finishes duplication of one backup id, duplicaton job hangs
    >and there is no error message, job is still active.. I can wait about 10
    >hours and there is no difference.. I've found that it happens only when
    >last fragment of image on disk has 0 kilobytes.. in catalog there is
    >information that for example backup has 11 fragments with 11th - 0kb but
    >on disk there is no file with this empty fragment.. in bpdm log there is
    >information that last fragment has 0kilobytes - so will be skipped.. no
    >error messages..
    >
    >Do you have any experience with this kind of issue ??
    >
    >regards
    >marekk

  3. Re: Disk Staging Problems ...

    I made little change to catalog file (there are two files for my backup
    in catalog database for backup job, one with .f extension and one
    without extension) .. In file without extension where netbackup saves
    information about type of backup, backup server, and other configuration
    parameters I set number of fragments to 10 (withouth 11th - 0kb) and
    relocation finished without any errors...

    regards
    marekk

    Frank wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > We have the same problems. Also running 5.1 MP2.
    > Then we just kill the job and start the relocation again.
    > Further we have the problem that the relocation ends with status 1.
    > Example for today:
    > 30-9-2005 9:30:21 - Error bpduplicate(pid=6136) Status = successfully duplicated
    > 46 of 51 images.
    > 30-9-2005 9:30:21 - Error bpduplicate(pid=6136) Status = the requested operation
    > was partially successful.
    > After restarting the job the other 5 images were succesfully processed.
    >

    > marek wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>My customer has installed Netbackup 5.1 MP2 on Solaris 9... Sometimes
    >>there are problems with disk staging relocation from disk to tape.. When
    >>Netbackup finishes duplication of one backup id, duplicaton job hangs
    >>and there is no error message, job is still active.. I can wait about 10
    >>hours and there is no difference.. I've found that it happens only when
    >>last fragment of image on disk has 0 kilobytes.. in catalog there is
    >>information that for example backup has 11 fragments with 11th - 0kb but
    >>on disk there is no file with this empty fragment.. in bpdm log there is
    >>information that last fragment has 0kilobytes - so will be skipped.. no
    >>error messages..
    >>
    >>Do you have any experience with this kind of issue ??
    >>
    >>regards
    >>marekk

+ Reply to Thread