Re-installing NetBackup 5.1: change hostname and import catalog tapes. - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Re-installing NetBackup 5.1: change hostname and import catalog tapes. - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi Folks, I have to reinstall (don't ask!) the OS and NetBackup 5.1 on a V480 running Solaris 9. Also, I need to change the hostname and the IP address of the box. Could anyone advice or point me to ...

  1. Re-installing NetBackup 5.1: change hostname and import catalog tapes.

    Hi Folks,

    I have to reinstall (don't ask!) the OS and NetBackup 5.1 on a V480 running
    Solaris 9.
    Also, I need to change the hostname and the IP address of the box.

    Could anyone advice or point me to the right direction/command about how
    to import the Catalog Tapes and all the backups from the old installation?

    Thanks in advance

    Loris Serena

  2. Re: Re-installing NetBackup 5.1: change hostname and import catalog tapes.

    If the server being reinstalled is not the master server than you
    don't have to worry about importing the catalogs. If it is the master
    then you can't import the catalogs because you are giving the new
    server a different name than the old master.

    On 26 Sep 2005 13:16:37 -0500, "Loris Serena"
    wrote:

    >Hi Folks,
    >
    >I have to reinstall (don't ask!) the OS and NetBackup 5.1 on a V480 running
    >Solaris 9.
    >Also, I need to change the hostname and the IP address of the box.
    >
    >Could anyone advice or point me to the right direction/command about how
    >to import the Catalog Tapes and all the backups from the old installation?
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >Loris Serena

  3. Re: Re-installing NetBackup 5.1: change hostname and import catalogtapes.

    I just upgraded from 4.5 to 5.0 AND changed the master server (Solaris 9)
    New IP address and hostname, but same CNAME in DNS.

    There is a good doc on support.veritas.com to do just this.
    (in short: bpexpdate all tapes from the old server to the new server)

    I did'nt follow that strategy :-(
    I just copied the DB dirs to the new server and fired up. All seemed
    fine (with the FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER in bp.conf). I could do
    restores and backups no problems. Still the images which were expiring
    on the old server gave some problems. So, right now now I have to hand
    hold it a bit and sort out expired images and tapes. Bit of a problem
    but eventually it will sort out.
    Also I can "patch" the header files in de DB dir to change
    the old server name to the new one. This was a tip from our reseller ;-)

    So, in short on your question:
    Follow the procedure, then copy the DB dirs and files to the new server
    and you're fine.

    regards
    Sander - TOFH

    Loris Serena wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I have to reinstall (don't ask!) the OS and NetBackup 5.1 on a V480 running
    > Solaris 9.
    > Also, I need to change the hostname and the IP address of the box.
    >
    > Could anyone advice or point me to the right direction/command about how
    > to import the Catalog Tapes and all the backups from the old installation?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Loris Serena

+ Reply to Thread