Netbackup command-line Catalog configuration - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Netbackup command-line Catalog configuration - Veritas Net Backup ; in article 43304ef1@ROSASTDMZ05., Neal at sirbounty@hotmail.com wrote on 9/20/05 11:03 AM: > > Hello - I have successfully scripted our entire Netbackup configuration for > our field servers with the exception of the catalog settiings. I still have > to ...

  1. Re: Netbackup command-line Catalog configuration

    in article 43304ef1@ROSASTDMZ05., Neal at sirbounty@hotmail.com wrote on
    9/20/05 11:03 AM:

    > Hello - I have successfully scripted our entire Netbackup configuration for
    > our field servers with the exception of the catalog settiings. I still have
    > to perform this step manually, so I am curious if anyone has a command line
    > solution that will allow this adjustment.
    >
    > Currently, I right-click Catalog and choose Configure Netbackup Catalog
    > backup...
    > I choose Disk for both options and specify the path. Finally I choose the
    > topmost option on the Schedule tab.
    >
    > Anyway to automate this process?
    >
    > Thanx!

    /opt/openv/netbackup/db/config/sync ?

  2. Netbackup command-line Catalog configuration

    Hello - I have successfully scripted our entire Netbackup configuration for
    our field servers with the exception of the catalog settiings. I still have
    to perform this step manually, so I am curious if anyone has a command line
    solution that will allow this adjustment.

    Currently, I right-click Catalog and choose Configure Netbackup Catalog backup...
    I choose Disk for both options and specify the path. Finally I choose the
    topmost option on the Schedule tab.

    Anyway to automate this process?

    Thanx!

  3. Re: Netbackup command-line Catalog configuration

    My apologies - this is with 5.0 MP2 - if that's necessary information.

  4. Re: Netbackup command-line Catalog configuration

    in article 433068b5@ROSASTDMZ05., Neal at sirbounty@hotmail.com wrote on
    9/20/05 12:53 PM:

    > ps wrote:
    >> in article 43304ef1@ROSASTDMZ05., Neal at sirbounty@hotmail.com wrote on
    >> 9/20/05 11:03 AM:
    >>

    >>> Hello - I have successfully scripted our entire Netbackup configuration

    > for
    >>> our field servers with the exception of the catalog settiings. I still

    > have
    >>> to perform this step manually, so I am curious if anyone has a command

    > line
    >>> solution that will allow this adjustment.
    >>>
    >>> Currently, I right-click Catalog and choose Configure Netbackup Catalog
    >>> backup...
    >>> I choose Disk for both options and specify the path. Finally I choose

    > the
    >>> topmost option on the Schedule tab.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway to automate this process?
    >>>
    >>> Thanx!

    >> /opt/openv/netbackup/db/config/sync ?
    >>

    > Ah! So "that's" where it's stored...cool.
    > I suppose I can simply edit that file, but do you (or anyone) know of a native
    > command in Netbackup to alter it, outside of the GUI?
    >
    > I'm using this on Win2k/Win2k3 platforms...
    >
    > Thanx very much!!!

    bpbackupdb does an immediate backup of the catalog--not sure if that's
    exactly what you're loooking for, but may be of use. This is for the unix
    version of the command, most of this should be applicable to windows:

    bpbackupdb(1M)
    NAME

    bpbackupdb -Back up NetBackup image catalogs.

    SYNOPSIS
    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpbackupdb [-dpath disk_path]
    [-nodbpaths] [-v] [path...]
    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpbackupdb [{-tpath
    tape_device_path [-m media_ID]}] [-nodbpaths] [-v] [path..
    ]
    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpbackupdb [{-opath
    optical_device_path [-m media_ID]}] [-nodbpaths] [-v]
    [path...]
    DESCRIPTION
    bpbackupdb initiates a backup of one or more NetBackup image catalogs
    specified on the
    bpbackupdb command line. bpbackupdb also backs up the default set of
    NetBackup
    catalogs, unless the command line contains -nodbpaths. If the command line
    specifies a
    destination, the backup is stored there.
    Otherwise, the backup is stored at the default location for backups of the
    NetBackup
    internal databases, which are called catalogs.
    You can specify the default set of catalogs and the backup destination:
    ◆ The default paths to the NetBackup image catalogs are part of the
    NetBackup
    configuration. bpbackupdb uses the set of configured NetBackup catalog paths
    as
    the default value for the path option.
    ◆ The NetBackup configuration includes two destinations (media IDs or
    disk
    pathnames) for NetBackup catalog backups. bpbackupdb uses the less-recently
    used
    of the two destinations as its default value for the backup destination.
    The NetBackup System Administrator’s Guide explains how to configure and
    display these
    values.
    You must have root privileges to execute this command.
    Only one copy of bpbackupdb can run at a time. The bpbackupdb command fails
    if it
    determines that a NetBackup catalog backup is already running. If bpbackupdb
    fails
    because other backups are in progress, retry when no other NetBackup
    activity is
    occurring.
    Chapter 1, NetBackup Commands 27
    bpbackupdb(1M)
    If bpbackupdb fails with the message “cannot find Internet service
    bpcd/tcp,” then the
    service/protocol pair bpcd, tcp is not among the set of services defined on
    the local
    system. On UNIX, netstat -a displays the defined set of services. On
    Windows, look
    for a bpcd/tcp entry in the instal_path\system32\drivers\etc\services file.
    The NetBackup System Administrator’s Guide provides additional information
    on backing
    up NetBackup catalogs. The NetBackup utility bprecover recovers catalogs
    that
    bpbackupdb has backed up. The NetBackup troubleshooting guide (UNIX version)
    provides information on restoring the NetBackup catalogs if a disaster
    recovery is
    required.
    OPTIONS
    You can either specify a list of NetBackup image catalogs with the following
    options or
    default to the catalogs specified in the NetBackup configuration:
    -dpath disk_path
    -tpath tape_device_path
    -opath optical_device_path
    -tpath specifies a tape raw device path as the destination for the
    backup.
    -opath specifies an optical raw device path as the destination for the
    backup.
    -dpath Specifies a raw disk path as the destination for the backup.
    If the media for the catalog backup is non-robotic, a mount request occurs
    and the catalog backup waits until the mount request is either granted or
    denied. The MEDIA_MOUNT_TIMEOUT attribute does not apply to this
    request.
    The Media Manager device and volume daemons,
    /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/ltid and
    /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmd, need not be active when you use one
    of the destination options.
    Note: The table names and database names in the database pathname are
    case-sensitive. The database catalog backups will fail if typed without
    regard to case. For example:
    host1B=isdb/RollUpJobSummary

    On UNIX, NetBackup assumes it is using a Berkeley-style close device for
    the -tpath option. This is the device path with b in the device name. For
    example, on Solaris the device name could be /dev/rmt/0cbn.
    bpbackupdb will fail with an I/O error if it does not use a Berkeley-style
    close device on a platform that requires it. See the Media Manager Device
    Configuration Guide for more information.
    28 NetBackup Commands for UNIX
    bpbackupdb(1M)
    If -tpath or -opath is used, the device name can be an NDMP device
    name. The syntax for an NDMP device name is client:drivename. An
    NDMP device name can contain / but it cannot contain /ndmp.
    -m media_ID
    This is option specifies the media ID for the NetBackup database backup.
    This option is meaningful when either -tpath or -opath is used.
    Media Manager uses the media ID for removable media to verify that the
    correct media is mounted. The media ID string length is between one and
    six characters and the string can be either uppercase or lowercase.
    -help
    Prints a command line usage message when -help is the only option on
    the command line.
    -nodbpaths
    Do not back up the configured NetBackup catalogs. If this option is
    present, you must specify at least one catalog path on the command line.
    If this option is absent, bpbackupdb backs up the catalogs configured by
    NetBackup for catalog backups, as well as any catalog listed by the path
    option.
    -v
    Selects verbose mode. This option causes bpbackupdb to log additional
    information for debugging purposes. The information goes into the
    NetBackup administration daily debug log. This option is meaningful
    only when NetBackup has debug logging enabled
    (/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/admin directory defined).
    path...
    Back up these NetBackup catalogs. This is a list of absolute pathnames.
    The catalog backup paths must not contain any soft links. When
    NetBackup backs up its catalogs, it does not follow soft links. If you have
    moved any of the catalog files or directories and created soft links to
    their
    new locations, you must delete any path that has a link in it and add the
    actual path. Otherwise, the catalog backup aborts.
    To back up a NetBackup catalog on the master server, specify the catalog
    backup path as an absolute pathname, for instance,
    /usr/openv/volmgr/database.
    To back up a NetBackup catalog on a media server other than the master
    server (this configuration is supported only by NetBackup Enterprise
    Server), specify the catalog backup path as hostnameathname. For
    instance, hostname:/usr/openv/volmgr/database.
    There must be at least one path specified if -nodbpaths is present.
    Chapter 1, NetBackup Commands 29
    bpbackupdb(1M)
    RETURN VALUES
    An exit status of 0 means that the backup ran successfully.
    Any exit status other than 0 means that an error occurred.
    EXAMPLES
    These examples assume that NetBackup has been configured so that bpbackupdb
    can use
    the default values for catalogs and destination.
    Example 1
    The following example backs up the NetBackup catalogs
    bpbackupdb

    If the backup succeeds, the NetBackup mail administrator receives an email
    that contains
    the details of the backup.
    If the backup fails, the NetBackup mail administrator receives an email that
    contains the
    reason for the failure.
    Example 2
    The following example backs up the NetBackup catalogs to the tape device
    /dev/rmt/0mbn.
    bpbackupdb -tpath /dev/rmt/0mbn

    MESSAGES
    If bpbackupdb succeeds, it logs one of the following messages:
    NB database backup to path destinationSUCCEEDED
    NB database backup to media id destinationSUCCEEDED
    NB database backup SUCCEEDED
    If bpbackupdb fails, it logs one of the following messages:
    NB database backup to path destinationFAILED
    NB database backup to media id destinationFAILED
    NB database backup FAILED
    bpbackupdb also sends mail to the NetBackup administrator reporting the
    results of the
    backup.
    FILES
    /usr/openv/netbackup/db/*
    /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/admin/log.mmddyy
    30 NetBackup Commands for UNIX
    bpbackupdb(1M)
    /usr/openv/volmgr/database/*

    SEE ALSO

    bpadm(1M), bprecover(1M), netstat(1M), services(4)

  5. Re: Netbackup command-line Catalog configuration

    ps wrote:
    >in article 43304ef1@ROSASTDMZ05., Neal at sirbounty@hotmail.com wrote on
    >9/20/05 11:03 AM:
    >

    >> Hello - I have successfully scripted our entire Netbackup configuration

    for
    >> our field servers with the exception of the catalog settiings. I still

    have
    >> to perform this step manually, so I am curious if anyone has a command

    line
    >> solution that will allow this adjustment.
    >>
    >> Currently, I right-click Catalog and choose Configure Netbackup Catalog
    >> backup...
    >> I choose Disk for both options and specify the path. Finally I choose

    the
    >> topmost option on the Schedule tab.
    >>
    >> Anyway to automate this process?
    >>
    >> Thanx!

    >/opt/openv/netbackup/db/config/sync ?

    Ah! So "that's" where it's stored...cool.
    I suppose I can simply edit that file, but do you (or anyone) know of a native
    command in Netbackup to alter it, outside of the GUI?

    I'm using this on Win2k/Win2k3 platforms...

    Thanx very much!!!

  6. Re: Netbackup command-line Catalog configuration

    install path\netbackup\bin\admincmd\bpsyncinfo

    "Neal" wrote in message

    > Hello - I have successfully scripted our entire Netbackup configuration
    > for
    > our field servers with the exception of the catalog settiings. I still
    > have
    > to perform this step manually, so I am curious if anyone has a command
    > line
    > solution that will allow this adjustment.
    >
    > Currently, I right-click Catalog and choose Configure Netbackup Catalog
    > backup...
    > I choose Disk for both options and specify the path. Finally I choose the
    > topmost option on the Schedule tab.
    >
    > Anyway to automate this process?
    >
    > Thanx!

+ Reply to Thread