some active backups but no writing, other out of window - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on some active backups but no writing, other out of window - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, When i get at work and look in job monitor, sometimes i found a job still active but when getting into details it has mounted the media and the last message is: "begin writing" As I have a robot ...

  1. some active backups but no writing, other out of window

    Hi,
    When i get at work and look in job monitor, sometimes i found a job still
    active but when getting into details it has mounted the media and the last
    message is: "begin writing"
    As I have a robot with only one drive the rest of the jobs keep queued and
    go out of the backup window. No problems seem to appear neither the master
    server nor the client. If I restart the job manually it goes well.
    Does anybody have the same problem or know why jobs sometimes keep active
    without writing a byte?

    Thnks in advance for your interest.

  2. Re: some active backups but no writing, other out of window

    I think it's the same problem I got - but it's only on one particular server
    Win2003 SP1. Althoug mine ends up with an error 41. Network timeout. I've
    raised the timeout-values - on the Master and the client. I've re-installed
    the client. It's a NBU 5.1 (MP=0)
    It seeks through the tape, but instead of writing as it says, the tape is
    idling.

    Poul

    "Fernando" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >When i get at work and look in job monitor, sometimes i found a job still
    >active but when getting into details it has mounted the media and the last
    >message is: "begin writing"
    >As I have a robot with only one drive the rest of the jobs keep queued and
    >go out of the backup window. No problems seem to appear neither the master
    >server nor the client. If I restart the job manually it goes well.
    >Does anybody have the same problem or know why jobs sometimes keep active
    >without writing a byte?
    >
    >Thnks in advance for your interest.

  3. Re: some active backups but no writing, other out of window

    Hello Poul,
    Yes, the consequences are the same, begining writing but no byte on media
    and keeping the job active. But the causes may be diferent. I have found
    sometimes a soft error code in the library panel and maybe it has some to
    do with my error.
    I have now to compare when the job hangs on the W2K, SLES or AIX client and
    when the panel error appears.
    Is there any way to tell the master server to interrupt the backup is active
    for more than 2 hours for example?
    Thanks for your interest,
    Best regards from Sapin,
    Fernando.

    "Poul Hansen" wrote:

    >I think it's the same problem I got - but it's only on one particular server
    >Win2003 SP1. Althoug mine ends up with an error 41. Network timeout. I've
    >raised the timeout-values - on the Master and the client. I've re-installed
    >the client. It's a NBU 5.1 (MP=0)
    >It seeks through the tape, but instead of writing as it says, the tape is
    >idling.
    >
    >Poul
    >
    >"Fernando" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi,
    >>When i get at work and look in job monitor, sometimes i found a job still
    >>active but when getting into details it has mounted the media and the last
    >>message is: "begin writing"
    >>As I have a robot with only one drive the rest of the jobs keep queued

    and
    >>go out of the backup window. No problems seem to appear neither the master
    >>server nor the client. If I restart the job manually it goes well.
    >>Does anybody have the same problem or know why jobs sometimes keep active
    >>without writing a byte?
    >>
    >>Thnks in advance for your interest.

+ Reply to Thread