Russian Roulette with a standalone drive - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Russian Roulette with a standalone drive - Veritas Net Backup ; I've got 5 DLT tapes for each day of the week and rotate the tapes every week. The policy is set for 1 week retention. Sometimes in the morning the backup will still be running waiting for a specific tape ...

  1. Russian Roulette with a standalone drive

    I've got 5 DLT tapes for each day of the week and rotate the tapes every week.
    The policy is set for 1 week retention. Sometimes in the morning the backup
    will still be running waiting for a specific tape that's not in the standalone
    drive. It's stuck saying "Mounting XXXXXX" tape. Is there a way in Netbackup
    to double check that the tape I put in the night before will be used for
    the backup job? This perplexes me because it's intermittent.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Russian Roulette with a standalone drive

    If you're using the same tape every Mon,Tue,Wed, etc. try this:

    Create a separate volume pool label "Monday", "Tuesday", Wednesday", etc.
    Put each tape in it's respective volume pool.

    Created 5 schedules within a single policy labeled accordingly, with the
    frequency set to 1 week. Due to the way scheduling works in NBU, you may
    want to set the frequency to 6 days instead of one week (if backups ever
    run late you may miss the next weeks backups), just may sure your start windows
    is only set for one day.Assign the appropriate volume pool to each schedule.

    ex:

    Monday schedule is frequency based for 1 week. Start windows is 1AM-5AM on
    Monday. Retention is 1 week. Set volume pool to "Monday". Repeat for each
    day of the week.

    Problem with one tape/day-

    Backup doesn't kick off until 3AM on Monday (for whatever reason) and the
    retention is 1 week. The next week's Monday backup won't be able to start
    until 3AM because the tape won't expire until then.

    Or you could go with a library and avoid the situation altogether.

    Hope that helps,

    Luke

    "Vic" wrote:

    >I've got 5 DLT tapes for each day of the week and rotate the tapes every

    week.
    >The policy is set for 1 week retention. Sometimes in the morning the backup
    >will still be running waiting for a specific tape that's not in the standalone
    >drive. It's stuck saying "Mounting XXXXXX" tape. Is there a way in Netbackup
    >to double check that the tape I put in the night before will be used for
    >the backup job? This perplexes me because it's intermittent.
    >
    >Thanks

  3. Re: Russian Roulette with a standalone drive

    Check your Media Server host properties. You are probably running out of
    tape and Veritas is prompting you to change the tape. If the tape is not
    changed then it times out. You can change the behaviour of your stand-alone
    drives to not allow to span media, and then the error message makes more
    sense.

    "Vic" wrote:

    >I've got 5 DLT tapes for each day of the week and rotate the tapes every

    week.
    >The policy is set for 1 week retention. Sometimes in the morning the backup
    >will still be running waiting for a specific tape that's not in the standalone
    >drive. It's stuck saying "Mounting XXXXXX" tape. Is there a way in Netbackup
    >to double check that the tape I put in the night before will be used for
    >the backup job? This perplexes me because it's intermittent.
    >
    >Thanks

+ Reply to Thread