scheduled backups won't start on time, have to be manually started - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on scheduled backups won't start on time, have to be manually started - Veritas Net Backup ; Hey guys, I'm running Netbackup Enterprise Server 5.1 which we upgraded to MP3, recently we installed a new Tape Library and activated the vaulting.All the Media Servers see the drives and the vaulting seems to be working fine, I dont ...

  1. scheduled backups won't start on time, have to be manually started

    Hey guys,

    I'm running Netbackup Enterprise Server 5.1 which we upgraded to MP3, recently
    we installed a new Tape Library and activated the vaulting.All the Media
    Servers see the drives and the vaulting seems to be working fine, I dont
    believe it as anything to do with the vaulting but its the last alteration
    we did.

    Now the scheduled backups will not start on time. They will start all in
    a batch around the time that the last backup is supposed to start. The greater
    part of them end up failling with error 196 later on because their out of
    their time window.

    For now ive been starting the backups manually to make sure their done overnight
    like their supposed to.

    I deleted and recreated all the policies in case they where corrupt, but
    no luck.

    Has anyone had a similar problem?

    Thanks for your help,

    Miguel

  2. Re: scheduled backups won't start on time, have to be manually started

    It could be "schedule drift". If you are using frequency based backups
    and setting your incrementals for 1 day for example then they can
    drift later and later into the backup window until they fail because
    they run out of time. This is because 1 day =24 hours to NetBackup so
    say the backups start at 6pm and end at 8pm then they will not run
    again until 8pm when the job finished. This will continue until there
    is no window left. If you are using frequency based backups try to
    make the frequency less than the frequency of the backups for example
    if you want a backup every day set the frequency to less than 24
    hours. That way when bpsched checks the schedule will be ready to run
    again.

    JR

    On 2 Sep 2005 13:18:16 -0500, "Miguel" wrote:

    >Hey guys,
    >
    >I'm running Netbackup Enterprise Server 5.1 which we upgraded to MP3, recently
    >we installed a new Tape Library and activated the vaulting.All the Media
    >Servers see the drives and the vaulting seems to be working fine, I dont
    >believe it as anything to do with the vaulting but its the last alteration
    >we did.
    >
    >Now the scheduled backups will not start on time. They will start all in
    >a batch around the time that the last backup is supposed to start. The greater
    >part of them end up failling with error 196 later on because their out of
    >their time window.
    >
    >For now ive been starting the backups manually to make sure their done overnight
    >like their supposed to.
    >
    >I deleted and recreated all the policies in case they where corrupt, but
    >no luck.
    >
    >Has anyone had a similar problem?
    >
    >Thanks for your help,
    >
    >Miguel

  3. Re: scheduled backups won't start on time, have to be manually started

    If the actual frequency is 1 week, try setting it to 6 days, leaving the start
    windows intact.

    Luke

    "Miguel" wrote:

    >Hey guys,
    >
    >I'm running Netbackup Enterprise Server 5.1 which we upgraded to MP3, recently
    >we installed a new Tape Library and activated the vaulting.All the Media
    >Servers see the drives and the vaulting seems to be working fine, I dont
    >believe it as anything to do with the vaulting but its the last alteration
    >we did.
    >
    >Now the scheduled backups will not start on time. They will start all in
    >a batch around the time that the last backup is supposed to start. The

    greater
    >part of them end up failling with error 196 later on because their out of
    >their time window.
    >
    >For now ive been starting the backups manually to make sure their done overnight
    >like their supposed to.
    >
    >I deleted and recreated all the policies in case they where corrupt, but
    >no luck.
    >
    >Has anyone had a similar problem?
    >
    >Thanks for your help,
    >
    >Miguel

  4. Re: scheduled backups won't start on time, have to be manually started

    Well Jeff i did have my daily backups set up with the frequency of 1 day,
    so i changed them all to calendar based schedules, selecting the weekdays.
    But that didnt do it, they still wouldnt start in their backup window, they'll
    start outside their window and end up with the 196 error.

    Then i was thinking they wouldnt run at their proper time because if i started
    it manually one day the schedule wouldnt run for that, so i just left it
    for two days, not running the backups manually, hoping the schedule would
    come into tune, but nothing.

    Right now i have:
    - few backups that run in their window (sometimes with 1 hour offset but
    still acceptable)
    - few backups that run in their window, then try to run again in the morning
    and end up with 196s.
    - backups that just start outside their window and end with 196

    I havent found any Veritas Utility to help me sort out what is going on with
    the schedules. Does anybody know any?

    Jeff Redington wrote:
    >It could be "schedule drift". If you are using frequency based backups
    >and setting your incrementals for 1 day for example then they can
    >drift later and later into the backup window until they fail because
    >they run out of time. This is because 1 day =24 hours to NetBackup so
    >say the backups start at 6pm and end at 8pm then they will not run
    >again until 8pm when the job finished. This will continue until there
    >is no window left. If you are using frequency based backups try to
    >make the frequency less than the frequency of the backups for example
    >if you want a backup every day set the frequency to less than 24
    >hours. That way when bpsched checks the schedule will be ready to run
    >again.
    >
    >JR
    >
    >On 2 Sep 2005 13:18:16 -0500, "Miguel" wrote:
    >

    >>Hey guys,
    >>
    >>I'm running Netbackup Enterprise Server 5.1 which we upgraded to MP3, recently
    >>we installed a new Tape Library and activated the vaulting.All the Media
    >>Servers see the drives and the vaulting seems to be working fine, I dont
    >>believe it as anything to do with the vaulting but its the last alteration
    >>we did.
    >>
    >>Now the scheduled backups will not start on time. They will start all in
    >>a batch around the time that the last backup is supposed to start. The

    greater
    >>part of them end up failling with error 196 later on because their out

    of
    >>their time window.
    >>
    >>For now ive been starting the backups manually to make sure their done

    overnight
    >>like their supposed to.
    >>
    >>I deleted and recreated all the policies in case they where corrupt, but
    >>no luck.
    >>
    >>Has anyone had a similar problem?
    >>
    >>Thanks for your help,
    >>
    >>Miguel

  5. Re: scheduled backups won't start on time, have to be manually started

    If the schedules are that out of step, you might do better to just
    create new policies and start over.

    JR

    On 8 Sep 2005 02:43:52 -0500, "Luke" wrote:

    >If the actual frequency is 1 week, try setting it to 6 days, leaving the start
    >windows intact.
    >
    >Luke
    >

    >"Miguel" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hey guys,
    >>
    >>I'm running Netbackup Enterprise Server 5.1 which we upgraded to MP3, recently
    >>we installed a new Tape Library and activated the vaulting.All the Media
    >>Servers see the drives and the vaulting seems to be working fine, I dont
    >>believe it as anything to do with the vaulting but its the last alteration
    >>we did.
    >>
    >>Now the scheduled backups will not start on time. They will start all in
    >>a batch around the time that the last backup is supposed to start. The

    >greater
    >>part of them end up failling with error 196 later on because their out of
    >>their time window.
    >>
    >>For now ive been starting the backups manually to make sure their done overnight
    >>like their supposed to.
    >>
    >>I deleted and recreated all the policies in case they where corrupt, but
    >>no luck.
    >>
    >>Has anyone had a similar problem?
    >>
    >>Thanks for your help,
    >>
    >>Miguel

  6. Re: scheduled backups won't start on time, have to be manually started

    Jeff Redington wrote:
    >If the schedules are that out of step, you might do better to just
    >create new policies and start over.
    >
    >JR
    >
    >On 8 Sep 2005 02:43:52 -0500, "Luke" wrote:
    >

    >>If the actual frequency is 1 week, try setting it to 6 days, leaving the

    start
    >>windows intact.
    >>
    >>Luke
    >>

    >>"Miguel" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hey guys,
    >>>
    >>>I'm running Netbackup Enterprise Server 5.1 which we upgraded to MP3,

    recently
    >>>we installed a new Tape Library and activated the vaulting.All the Media
    >>>Servers see the drives and the vaulting seems to be working fine, I dont
    >>>believe it as anything to do with the vaulting but its the last alteration
    >>>we did.
    >>>
    >>>Now the scheduled backups will not start on time. They will start all

    in
    >>>a batch around the time that the last backup is supposed to start. The

    >>greater
    >>>part of them end up failling with error 196 later on because their out

    of
    >>>their time window.
    >>>
    >>>For now ive been starting the backups manually to make sure their done

    overnight
    >>>like their supposed to.
    >>>
    >>>I deleted and recreated all the policies in case they where corrupt, but
    >>>no luck.
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone had a similar problem?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for your help,
    >>>
    >>>Miguel

    Perhaps there are no resources availble when the backups are attempting to
    run? For example if you have two tape drives and tried to kick off 6 backups,
    4 of them will have to wait for a drive. If they are forced to wait too long,
    they can fall outside thier window.

+ Reply to Thread