Ejecting tapes via CAP in a TLD library - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Ejecting tapes via CAP in a TLD library - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, I was hoping someone might be able to offer some guidence. We've recently started using Netbackup and are having issues with ejecting tapes from the library. We're using vmupdate and we find that if the tapes aren't removed from ...

  1. Ejecting tapes via CAP in a TLD library

    Hi,
    I was hoping someone might be able to offer some guidence. We've recently
    started using Netbackup and are having issues with ejecting tapes from the
    library.
    We're using vmupdate and we find that if the tapes aren't removed from the
    CAP
    the tapes are loaded back from whence they came. We don't have this problem
    in
    Networker or TSM. Any clues would be most welcome.
    Thanks
    Clive

  2. Re: Ejecting tapes via CAP in a TLD library

    I had the same problem.

    I know use the Vault process if you have license or create a script that
    goes to

    XXX\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin\robtest.exe
    select your robot

    The do a move of your tapes e.g.:

    m s152 p1
    (Move Slot 152 to Access Port 1).

    Hope this helps until you find a better way

    "Clive Purchase" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I was hoping someone might be able to offer some guidence. We've recently
    >started using Netbackup and are having issues with ejecting tapes from the
    >library.
    >We're using vmupdate and we find that if the tapes aren't removed from the
    >CAP
    >the tapes are loaded back from whence they came. We don't have this problem
    >in
    >Networker or TSM. Any clues would be most welcome.
    >Thanks
    >Clive

  3. Re: Ejecting tapes via CAP in a TLD library

    Vault (vlteject) manages to do this. I'll just note that vault logs
    include the line:

    /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmchange -res -multi_eject -sc -rn 0 -rt tld
    -rh hostname -vh hostname -v volumegroupname -ml tapeid1:tapeid2:tapeid3

    Above probably wrapped in your display, but it's one line. "hostname"
    is your media server name; volumegroupname is the volume group you want
    for the tape once the command is complete; Zero is my robot number;
    "tapeid1" etc. are the labels of the tapes to be ejected.

    Seems to work for me -- use at your own peril.

    cheers, wayne

    Clive Purchase wrote, in part, on 9/2/2005 1:34 PM:
    > I was hoping someone might be able to offer some guidence. We've recently
    > started using Netbackup and are having issues with ejecting tapes from the
    > library.
    > We're using vmupdate and we find that if the tapes aren't removed from the
    > CAP
    > the tapes are loaded back from whence they came. We don't have this problem
    > in
    > Networker or TSM. Any clues would be most welcome.

  4. Re: Ejecting tapes via CAP in a TLD library

    Thanks Wayne,

    That worked! Are undocumented flags a feature of Veritas i.e. the -sc flag.
    Its certainly something that seems to be mentioned on a number of the posting
    on the web.

    Thanks again and thanks to Laurie for her help as well

    Wayne T Smith wrote:
    >Vault (vlteject) manages to do this. I'll just note that vault logs
    >include the line:
    >
    > /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmchange -res -multi_eject -sc -rn 0 -rt tld
    >-rh hostname -vh hostname -v volumegroupname -ml tapeid1:tapeid2:tapeid3
    >
    >Above probably wrapped in your display, but it's one line. "hostname"
    >is your media server name; volumegroupname is the volume group you want

    >for the tape once the command is complete; Zero is my robot number;
    >"tapeid1" etc. are the labels of the tapes to be ejected.
    >
    >Seems to work for me -- use at your own peril.
    >
    >cheers, wayne
    >
    >Clive Purchase wrote, in part, on 9/2/2005 1:34 PM:
    >> I was hoping someone might be able to offer some guidence. We've recently
    >> started using Netbackup and are having issues with ejecting tapes from

    the
    >> library.
    >> We're using vmupdate and we find that if the tapes aren't removed from

    the
    >> CAP
    >> the tapes are loaded back from whence they came. We don't have this problem
    >> in
    >> Networker or TSM. Any clues would be most welcome.

  5. Re: Ejecting tapes via CAP in a TLD library

    Undocumented and unsupported features can be found on most commands by the
    -Q qualifier

    "Clive" wrote:

    >Thanks Wayne,
    >
    >That worked! Are undocumented flags a feature of Veritas i.e. the -sc flag.
    >Its certainly something that seems to be mentioned on a number of the posting
    >on the web.
    >
    >Thanks again and thanks to Laurie for her help as well
    >
    >Wayne T Smith wrote:
    >>Vault (vlteject) manages to do this. I'll just note that vault logs
    >>include the line:
    >>
    >> /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmchange -res -multi_eject -sc -rn 0 -rt tld

    >>-rh hostname -vh hostname -v volumegroupname -ml tapeid1:tapeid2:tapeid3
    >>
    >>Above probably wrapped in your display, but it's one line. "hostname"

    >>is your media server name; volumegroupname is the volume group you want

    >>for the tape once the command is complete; Zero is my robot number;
    >>"tapeid1" etc. are the labels of the tapes to be ejected.
    >>
    >>Seems to work for me -- use at your own peril.
    >>
    >>cheers, wayne
    >>
    >>Clive Purchase wrote, in part, on 9/2/2005 1:34 PM:
    >>> I was hoping someone might be able to offer some guidence. We've recently
    >>> started using Netbackup and are having issues with ejecting tapes from

    >the
    >>> library.
    >>> We're using vmupdate and we find that if the tapes aren't removed from

    >the
    >>> CAP
    >>> the tapes are loaded back from whence they came. We don't have this problem
    >>> in
    >>> Networker or TSM. Any clues would be most welcome.

+ Reply to Thread