netbackup 5.1 client tuning on Netware - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on netbackup 5.1 client tuning on Netware - Veritas Net Backup ; Does anyone have a tuning document for Netware 5.1 and greater. We are starting to upgrade netbackup 5.1 master server and clients and would like to know some tuing best practices. Thanks....

  1. netbackup 5.1 client tuning on Netware

    Does anyone have a tuning document for Netware 5.1 and greater. We are starting
    to upgrade netbackup 5.1 master server and clients and would like to know
    some tuing best practices.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: netbackup 5.1 client tuning on Netware

    dino wrote:
    > Does anyone have a tuning document for Netware 5.1 and greater. We are starting
    > to upgrade netbackup 5.1 master server and clients and would like to know
    > some tuing best practices.

    There is virtually little to no tuning you can do that helps Netbackup
    on Netware, beyond making sure your server is working correctly. (They
    will suggest Max Packet Recieve Buffers to 10000 but this is basically a
    nonsense change, which is the default anyway).

    We found our performance bottleneck was actually within NetBackup!

    We could use TSATEST to demonstrate that over the network, the servers
    could send 60-90GB/hr of data via the TSA infrastructure. But yet we
    were only seeing 2-3GB/hr on live backups.

    Turns out Netbackup throttles to match throughput to your tape drive.
    We have DLT IV (7000) drives that max out at 20GB/hr, and we are
    multiplexed out the wazoo. So there is never any bandwidth available to
    speak of.

    The throttling appears to be inside NetBackup.

    Best way to test throughput is set up a DSSU or DSS and do a backup of
    the test server to disk. That usually demos fast to max throughput.

+ Reply to Thread