netbackup 5.1 HELP!!!! - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on netbackup 5.1 HELP!!!! - Veritas Net Backup ; Assigned means that the tape was used for a backup. Presumably, you assigned it by running a backup to the tape. You can expire all the backup images from the tape to manually deassign it but then all the data ...

  1. Re: netbackup 5.1 HELP!!!!

    Assigned means that the tape was used for a backup. Presumably, you
    assigned it by running a backup to the tape. You can expire all the
    backup images from the tape to manually deassign it but then all the
    data that was backed up will be lost. Or you can wait until the images
    expire and then the tape will be deassigned automatically by
    NetBackup. I recommend reading the media manager manual if you are not
    comfortable with the term assigned and what it means. It will greatly
    help your understanding of how to use NetBackup. In the meantime, if
    you wish to deassign the tape use the bpexpdate command. You can look
    up the syntax in the commands manual.

    JR

    On 22 Aug 2005 11:45:01 -0500, "jim" wrote:

    >how do i UNASSIGN something?!?!? everything i want to do... label, erase,
    >etc... i CANT do it because it says the volume is "assigned". well who the
    >hell assigned it? how do i unassign it? and what does assigned mean?!?!?!

  2. netbackup 5.1 HELP!!!!

    how do i UNASSIGN something?!?!? everything i want to do... label, erase,
    etc... i CANT do it because it says the volume is "assigned". well who the
    hell assigned it? how do i unassign it? and what does assigned mean?!?!?!

  3. Re: netbackup 5.1 HELP!!!!

    "jim" wrote:

    >how do i UNASSIGN something?!?!? everything i want to do... label, erase,
    >etc... i CANT do it because it says the volume is "assigned". well who the
    >hell assigned it? how do i unassign it? and what does assigned mean?!?!?!

    Jim,

    Do a

    vmquery -m tape#

    and look at the "assigned" field. It sounds like there is data which NetBackup
    believes to be valid on the tape. To expire it,

    bpexpdate -d 0 -m tape#

    If this doesn't work, try

    vmquery -deassignbyid tape# pool# status

    [you get pool # and status from the vmquery -m tape# command].

    Scott

+ Reply to Thread