promote media to master - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on promote media to master - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello, I am wondering whether it is a good idea to promote one of media servers to the master server. The media server promoted would be located in different building, I assume the catalogs could be moved via rsync (for ...

  1. promote media to master

    Hello,
    I am wondering whether it is a good idea to promote one of media servers
    to the master server. The media server promoted would be located in different
    building, I assume the catalogs could be moved via rsync (for example).

    Could this be some idea for a D-R ?

    Tomasz

  2. Re: promote media to master

    "tomasz" wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I am wondering whether it is a good idea to promote one of media servers
    >to the master server. The media server promoted would be located in different
    >building, I assume the catalogs could be moved via rsync (for example).
    >

    >Could this be some idea for a D-R ?
    >
    >Tomasz

    I asked Veritas the same question. Here's the response I got [haven't tested
    it yet]:

    I am the engineer assigned to this case. Netbackup doesn’t really have the
    option to “promote” a server to be a master server. The netbackup catalogs
    are tied to the hostname of the master server and as such one cannot really
    promote a media server to become a master server. You can migrate your master
    server to another machine with the same hostname with the following procedures,
    however if you cannot keep the same hostname, due to the complexity and risk
    of data loss, this is something that can be performed by Veritas Professional
    Services on a server by server basis. Also the Veritas Netbackup Troubleshooting
    Guide contains a chapter on Disaster Recovery options Please let me know
    if you have further questions.

    Symptom:

    How to migrate a master or media server to new hardware with the same host
    name.

    Solution:

    1. Ensure operating system is patched up to date on new master.

    2. Change host name to reflect old master name.

    3. Install NBU

    4. Patch NBU

    5. Use command to recover the catalog information to the new
    master.

    I suggest the following as it will not require device configuration of the
    robot or drives to be complete within NetBackup.

    -l -tpath This gives you a list and lets you
    identify the correct catalog backup you wish to use.

    -r -tpath -all This automatically recovers
    all information of the catalog backup tape. If you have additional media
    server information, do not use the -all option and simply answer yes/no for
    the catalog information you want to recover from the old master.

    You need the following:

    /usr/openv/volmgr/database

    /usr/openv/var

    6. Start NetBackup

    7. Remove the robotic and drive configuration.

    8. Rebuild the robotic and drive configuration

    9. Test backups and restores.

    Thanks,

    --

    James Keating III