Migrating Master Server - Catalog question - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Migrating Master Server - Catalog question - Veritas Net Backup ; Hoping you guys can help or point me in the right direction. I am migrating my Netbackup server to a new server. It will be same version (5.1MP3) and same operating system (2003 server). I understand because of the Catalog ...

  1. Migrating Master Server - Catalog question

    Hoping you guys can help or point me in the right direction.

    I am migrating my Netbackup server to a new server. It will be same version
    (5.1MP3) and same operating system (2003 server).

    I understand because of the Catalog that the server will need to have the
    same name, is this correct, if so that's a bit of a pain but understandable.
    Is there a proved method to export and then import both the Catalog and the
    policies. Don't really want to have to create 40 jobs manaully again. I found
    lots of postings with regards to moving catalog from Windows to Solaris but
    that's no use.

    Thanks in advance

    Graeme

  2. Re: Migrating Master Server - Catalog question

    "Graeme" wrote:

    >Hoping you guys can help or point me in the right direction.
    >
    >I am migrating my Netbackup server to a new server. It will be same version
    >(5.1MP3) and same operating system (2003 server).
    >
    >I understand because of the Catalog that the server will need to have the
    >same name, is this correct, if so that's a bit of a pain but understandable.
    >Is there a proved method to export and then import both the Catalog and

    the
    >policies. Don't really want to have to create 40 jobs manaully again. I

    found
    >lots of postings with regards to moving catalog from Windows to Solaris

    but
    >that's no use.
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >Graeme

    Run a catalog backup and not the tape label that is used for DR
    Copy the master server license keys ---you need for installing on new master
    Delete the drives and robots --u may have device mapping differences with
    new box
    Stop the NetBackup services on the old master
    Copy the VERITAS folder to a network location
    Export the HKLM>Software>Veritas key to a text file
    Pull the power from the old master
    Bring up the new master -- keep the same name
    Install NetBackup master server
    Patch to the same version as the old master
    Stop the netbackup services
    Rename the Veritas folder to Veritas.new
    Copy in the old master Veritas folder
    Remediate differences in the registry output of the old master to the new
    master
    ( should not be alot of differences)
    Start the services netbackup services
    Run the device wizard
    Run a test backup

    Claim 5 hours on work order for doing 1 hour of work

    Or

    Follow the catalog backup and recovery process in the book
    Takes too danged long

+ Reply to Thread