REALLY SLOOOOW backup to disk staging unit - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on REALLY SLOOOOW backup to disk staging unit - Veritas Net Backup ; our enviroment: backup server: Solaris 9, 4GB ,memory , veritas NBU 5.0 MP5 backup clients: mixed linux ( kernel 2.4) , solaris 2.6, 8, 9. the backup is first write to Disk Staging Storag Unit (DSSU). the flush to tape ...

  1. REALLY SLOOOOW backup to disk staging unit

    our enviroment:
    backup server: Solaris 9, 4GB ,memory , veritas NBU 5.0 MP5
    backup clients: mixed linux ( kernel 2.4) , solaris 2.6, 8, 9.

    the backup is first write to Disk Staging Storag Unit (DSSU).
    the flush to tape library. the DSSU storage is allocated from EMC
    CX-5000 disk array, using 5 ATA 5400 RPM drive -> RAID 5 -> create LUN
    -> presented to host OS as Veritas VM disk using VxFS. the problems is
    write proformance is TERRIBLE, only 3-5 MB/s.

    I'm possitive network is not the issue here, also backup server is not under
    powered. folllowing veritas suggestion, here is my
    /usr/openv/netbackup/NET_BUFFER_SZ = 262144
    and in /usr/opev/netbackup/db/config
    NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS = 32 ,
    SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS= 262144,
    NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK=16,
    SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK= 1048576

    and here is my /etc/system setting for
    set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
    set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
    set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
    set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
    set semsys:seminfo_semmns=1024
    set semsys:seminfo_semmni=100
    set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=250

    so what I should looking for. the theritical through for the LUN, according
    to EMC
    is 40-60 MB/s, not I only got 3 -5 MB/s when writting to disk using netbackup

    any suggestions and advices about tool I should use to
    troubleshooting?

  2. Re: REALLY SLOOOOW backup to disk staging unit

    in article 4302463b@ROSASTDMZ05., jason at jjin@dynaccsys.com wrote on
    8/16/05 1:02 PM:

    > our enviroment:
    > backup server: Solaris 9, 4GB ,memory , veritas NBU 5.0 MP5
    > backup clients: mixed linux ( kernel 2.4) , solaris 2.6, 8, 9.
    >
    > the backup is first write to Disk Staging Storag Unit (DSSU).
    > the flush to tape library. the DSSU storage is allocated from EMC
    > CX-5000 disk array, using 5 ATA 5400 RPM drive -> RAID 5 -> create LUN
    > -> presented to host OS as Veritas VM disk using VxFS. the problems is
    > write proformance is TERRIBLE, only 3-5 MB/s.
    >
    > I'm possitive network is not the issue here, also backup server is not under
    > powered. folllowing veritas suggestion, here is my
    > /usr/openv/netbackup/NET_BUFFER_SZ = 262144
    > and in /usr/opev/netbackup/db/config
    > NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS = 32 ,
    > SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS= 262144,
    > NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK=16,
    > SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK= 1048576
    >
    > and here is my /etc/system setting for
    > set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
    > set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
    > set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
    > set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
    > set semsys:seminfo_semmns=1024
    > set semsys:seminfo_semmni=100
    > set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=250
    >
    > so what I should looking for. the theritical through for the LUN, according
    > to EMC
    > is 40-60 MB/s, not I only got 3 -5 MB/s when writting to disk using netbackup
    > ..
    >

    > any suggestions and advices about tool I should use to
    > troubleshooting?

    Are your clients even capable of pushing 40-60MB/sec to your netbackup
    server? What is your total throughput to the array when you run 10 or so
    simultaneous backups?

  3. Re: REALLY SLOOOOW backup to disk staging unit

    Please read the following post:

    RAID5 has notoriously slow write performance. Depending on
    your controller (LSI Mega RAIDs, which we use in the Dell flavour have
    about a 12-15 GB/hr max write rate. 3.7 MB/sec * 3600 seconds/hour
    ~=13.3GB/hr.)

    If you can, try a non RAID volume, or if you have spare disks,
    span them for size...

    Thanks to Geoffrey Carman for the above comments.

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:53:01 -0700, ps wrote:

    >in article 4302463b@ROSASTDMZ05., jason at jjin@dynaccsys.com wrote on
    >8/16/05 1:02 PM:
    >

    >> our enviroment:
    >> backup server: Solaris 9, 4GB ,memory , veritas NBU 5.0 MP5
    >> backup clients: mixed linux ( kernel 2.4) , solaris 2.6, 8, 9.
    >>
    >> the backup is first write to Disk Staging Storag Unit (DSSU).
    >> the flush to tape library. the DSSU storage is allocated from EMC
    >> CX-5000 disk array, using 5 ATA 5400 RPM drive -> RAID 5 -> create LUN
    >> -> presented to host OS as Veritas VM disk using VxFS. the problems is
    >> write proformance is TERRIBLE, only 3-5 MB/s.
    >>
    >> I'm possitive network is not the issue here, also backup server is not under
    >> powered. folllowing veritas suggestion, here is my
    >> /usr/openv/netbackup/NET_BUFFER_SZ = 262144
    >> and in /usr/opev/netbackup/db/config
    >> NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS = 32 ,
    >> SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS= 262144,
    >> NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK=16,
    >> SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK= 1048576
    >>
    >> and here is my /etc/system setting for
    >> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
    >> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
    >> set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
    >> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
    >> set semsys:seminfo_semmns=1024
    >> set semsys:seminfo_semmni=100
    >> set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=250
    >>
    >> so what I should looking for. the theritical through for the LUN, according
    >> to EMC
    >> is 40-60 MB/s, not I only got 3 -5 MB/s when writting to disk using netbackup
    >> ..
    >>

    >> any suggestions and advices about tool I should use to
    >> troubleshooting?

    >Are your clients even capable of pushing 40-60MB/sec to your netbackup
    >server? What is your total throughput to the array when you run 10 or so
    >simultaneous backups?

+ Reply to Thread