Slow backup - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Slow backup - Veritas Net Backup ; When im running a backup to a staging disk i can get a max transfer speed at 3700 KB per second. The staging disk is a Raid 5, Scsi 320, 10K disc. Can someone give me some hints to get ...

  1. Slow backup

    When im running a backup to a staging disk i can get a max transfer speed
    at 3700 KB per second. The staging disk is a Raid 5, Scsi 320, 10K disc.

    Can someone give me some hints to get better performence, or is there anny
    log files i can monitor, to get some better performence ?

  2. Re: Slow backup

    Jensen wrote:
    > When im running a backup to a staging disk i can get a max transfer speed
    > at 3700 KB per second. The staging disk is a Raid 5, Scsi 320, 10K disc.

    RAID5 has notoriously slow write performance. Depending on your
    controller (LSI Mega RAIDs, which we use in the Dell flavour have about
    a 12-15 GB/hr max write rate. 3.7 MB/sec * 3600 seconds/hour ~=13.3GB/hr.)

    If you can, try a non RAID volume, or if you have spare disks, span
    them for size...

    PS: Mentioning an OS for server and client, and NB version is probably
    quite relevant, wouldn't you think?

    > Can someone give me some hints to get better performence, or is there anny
    > log files i can monitor, to get some better performence ?

+ Reply to Thread