size data buffers - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on size data buffers - Veritas Net Backup ; Hey all, since my itanium master server was upgraded with windows sp1, I have this error if I use the size_data_buffers file : "The tape device at index -1 has a maximum block size of 65536 bytes, a buffer size ...

  1. size data buffers

    Hey all,
    since my itanium master server was upgraded with windows sp1, I have this
    error if I use the size_data_buffers file : "The tape device at index -1
    has a maximum block size of 65536 bytes, a buffer size of 262144 cannot be
    used". All operations finished with RC 84 (media write error). If I delete
    the size_data_buffer file, all jobs are OK but I have slow performance.
    Thank you very much for any advice!

  2. Re: size data buffers

    This indicates that the tape drive is reporting that the biggest block
    size capable is 64K. In Windows the max capable is 128K anyway and
    that is if both the HBA and drive support it which you have to test to
    find out by doing a backup andrestore with that setting in place. You
    can increase the size of the network buffer or the number of data
    buffers to try and improve performance.

    JR

    On 10 Aug 2005 06:02:04 -0500, "odeb" wrote:

    >Hey all,
    >since my itanium master server was upgraded with windows sp1, I have this
    >error if I use the size_data_buffers file : "The tape device at index -1
    >has a maximum block size of 65536 bytes, a buffer size of 262144 cannot be
    >used". All operations finished with RC 84 (media write error). If I delete
    >the size_data_buffer file, all jobs are OK but I have slow performance.
    >Thank you very much for any advice!

  3. Re: size data buffers

    do we have something similar in UNIX guys

    Thanks and regards

    Jeff Redington wrote:
    >This indicates that the tape drive is reporting that the biggest block
    >size capable is 64K. In Windows the max capable is 128K anyway and
    >that is if both the HBA and drive support it which you have to test to
    >find out by doing a backup andrestore with that setting in place. You
    >can increase the size of the network buffer or the number of data
    >buffers to try and improve performance.
    >
    >JR
    >

    >On 10 Aug 2005 06:02:04 -0500, "odeb" wrote:
    >

    >>Hey all,
    >>since my itanium master server was upgraded with windows sp1, I have this
    >>error if I use the size_data_buffers file : "The tape device at index -1
    >>has a maximum block size of 65536 bytes, a buffer size of 262144 cannot

    be
    >>used". All operations finished with RC 84 (media write error). If I delete
    >>the size_data_buffer file, all jobs are OK but I have slow performance.
    >>Thank you very much for any advice!

+ Reply to Thread