Slow Backup Exchange 2000 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Slow Backup Exchange 2000 - Veritas Net Backup ; We are using Netbackup 5.1 MP3. Normal backup is running fine from several servers with Netbackup Client using the netwiork (10 MB/s) Only saving the Exchange 2000 Mailboxes are causing massive problem (total data arround 9GB). The speed transfering the ...

  1. Slow Backup Exchange 2000

    We are using Netbackup 5.1 MP3. Normal backup is running
    fine from several servers with Netbackup Client using the netwiork (10 MB/s)
    Only saving the Exchange 2000 Mailboxes are causing massive problem (total
    data arround 9GB). The speed transfering the files from the server to the
    tape library is 200 KB/s (!) as averagne throughput. Only this Exchange-backup
    job is so slow. A normal backup from the same server is ok. And a normal
    backup of that client on the file system too.
    Has anyone an idea what I can do to speed up the backup of exchange issues?

    Regards,
    Max

  2. Re: Slow Backup Exchange 2000

    in article 42f3250e@ROSASTDMZ05., Max Gregis at mgregis@sorint.it wrote on
    8/5/05 1:36 AM:

    > We are using Netbackup 5.1 MP3. Normal backup is running
    > fine from several servers with Netbackup Client using the netwiork (10 MB/s)
    > Only saving the Exchange 2000 Mailboxes are causing massive problem (total
    > data arround 9GB). The speed transfering the files from the server to the
    > tape library is 200 KB/s (!) as averagne throughput. Only this
    > Exchange-backup
    > job is so slow. A normal backup from the same server is ok. And a normal
    > backup of that client on the file system too.
    > Has anyone an idea what I can do to speed up the backup of exchange issues?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Max

    Are you doing a mailbox-level or information store backup? Mailbox level
    backups are much much slower and depends much on the speed of your exchange
    server.

  3. Re: Slow Backup Exchange 2000

    I'm doing a mailbox-level backup.
    iReally, i'm not manage windows/exchange servers but i'm a Solaris and netbackup
    master sysadmin.
    I don't know particular exchange issues for working with netbackup.

    Thanks for your answer

    s wrote:
    >in article 42f3250e@ROSASTDMZ05., Max Gregis at mgregis@sorint.it wrote

    on
    >8/5/05 1:36 AM:
    >

    >> We are using Netbackup 5.1 MP3. Normal backup is running
    >> fine from several servers with Netbackup Client using the netwiork (10

    MB/s)
    >> Only saving the Exchange 2000 Mailboxes are causing massive problem (total
    >> data arround 9GB). The speed transfering the files from the server to

    the
    >> tape library is 200 KB/s (!) as averagne throughput. Only this
    >> Exchange-backup
    >> job is so slow. A normal backup from the same server is ok. And a normal
    >> backup of that client on the file system too.
    >> Has anyone an idea what I can do to speed up the backup of exchange issues?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Max

    >Are you doing a mailbox-level or information store backup? Mailbox level
    >backups are much much slower and depends much on the speed of your exchange
    >server.

  4. Re: Slow Backup Exchange 2000

    mailbox backups are always slow, as every email item is read through the
    Exchange API, so the spec of the Exch server is a limiting factor. You can
    improve the overall backup speed by running several streams, e.g.:

    NEW_STREAM
    Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[0-A]*
    NEW_STREAM
    Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\B*
    NEW_STREAM
    Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\C*
    NEW_STREAM
    Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\D*
    NEW_STREAM
    Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\E*
    NEW_STREAM
    Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\F*
    NEW_STREAM
    Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\G*
    NEW_STREAM
    Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\H*
    NEW_STREAM
    Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[I-K]*
    NEW_STREAM
    Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[L-Z]*

    "MAx Gregis" wrote in message

    > I'm doing a mailbox-level backup.
    > iReally, i'm not manage windows/exchange servers but i'm a Solaris and

    netbackup
    > master sysadmin.
    > I don't know particular exchange issues for working with netbackup.
    >
    > Thanks for your answer
    >
    > s wrote:
    > >in article 42f3250e@ROSASTDMZ05., Max Gregis at mgregis@sorint.it wrote

    > on
    > >8/5/05 1:36 AM:
    > >

    > >> We are using Netbackup 5.1 MP3. Normal backup is running
    > >> fine from several servers with Netbackup Client using the netwiork (10

    > MB/s)
    > >> Only saving the Exchange 2000 Mailboxes are causing massive problem

    (total
    > >> data arround 9GB). The speed transfering the files from the server to

    > the
    > >> tape library is 200 KB/s (!) as averagne throughput. Only this
    > >> Exchange-backup
    > >> job is so slow. A normal backup from the same server is ok. And a

    normal
    > >> backup of that client on the file system too.
    > >> Has anyone an idea what I can do to speed up the backup of exchange

    issues?

    > >> Regards,
    > >> Max

    > >Are you doing a mailbox-level or information store backup? Mailbox level
    > >backups are much much slower and depends much on the speed of your

    exchange
    > >server.

  5. Re: Slow Backup Exchange 2000

    in article 42fb5a70$1@primark.com, Backup Bob at jump@globalnet.co.uk wrote
    on 8/11/05 7:02 AM:

    > mailbox backups are always slow, as every email item is read through the
    > Exchange API, so the spec of the Exch server is a limiting factor. You can
    > improve the overall backup speed by running several streams, e.g.:
    >
    > NEW_STREAM
    > Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[0-A]*
    > NEW_STREAM
    > Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\B*
    > NEW_STREAM
    > Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\C*
    > NEW_STREAM
    > Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\D*
    > NEW_STREAM
    > Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\E*
    > NEW_STREAM
    > Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\F*
    > NEW_STREAM
    > Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\G*
    > NEW_STREAM
    > Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\H*
    > NEW_STREAM
    > Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[I-K]*
    > NEW_STREAM
    > Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[L-Z]*

    Creating multiple streams would only improve performance if the bottleneck
    were at the tape drive(s). The client has problems serving up only one
    stream, running multiple simultaenous streams will only exacerbate the
    situation by causing more CPU and disk contention.

  6. Re: Slow Backup Exchange 2000

    ps wrote, in part, on 8/11/2005 12:05 PM:
    > Creating multiple streams would only improve performance if the bottleneck
    > were at the tape drive(s). The client has problems serving up only one
    > stream, running multiple simultaenous streams will only exacerbate the
    > situation by causing more CPU and disk contention.

    That might be true for Exchange, but I've had "large file system"
    (millions of files) instances where this technique was beneficial to
    total throughput.

    cheers, wayne

  7. Re: Slow Backup Exchange 2000

    The bottleneck on a mailbox backup is very unlikely to be the tape drive.
    If you have a very low spec Exchange server then it could make the speed
    worse, but in all the cases I've seen, I've implemented multiple streams and
    had significant improvements in overall throughput.

    e.g.
    Originally had one mailbox stream at 800KB/s.
    Changed this to 4 streams and got 400KB/s each = overall 1600KB/s.

    Also if the 1 big stream took a long time (e.g. I've had 18hrs) , it's even
    worth spliting it into smaller chunks that run as consequective jobs (no
    multiplexing) so that if you have a failure at near the end, it doesn't have
    to do the whole lot again from the beginning.

    "ps" wrote in message
    > in article 42fb5a70$1@primark.com, Backup Bob at jump@globalnet.co.uk

    wrote
    > on 8/11/05 7:02 AM:
    >
    > > mailbox backups are always slow, as every email item is read through the
    > > Exchange API, so the spec of the Exch server is a limiting factor. You

    can
    > > improve the overall backup speed by running several streams, e.g.:
    > >
    > > NEW_STREAM
    > > Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[0-A]*
    > > NEW_STREAM
    > > Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\B*
    > > NEW_STREAM
    > > Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\C*
    > > NEW_STREAM
    > > Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\D*
    > > NEW_STREAM
    > > Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\E*
    > > NEW_STREAM
    > > Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\F*
    > > NEW_STREAM
    > > Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\G*
    > > NEW_STREAM
    > > Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\H*
    > > NEW_STREAM
    > > Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[I-K]*
    > > NEW_STREAM
    > > Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[L-Z]*
    > >

    > Creating multiple streams would only improve performance if the bottleneck
    > were at the tape drive(s). The client has problems serving up only one
    > stream, running multiple simultaenous streams will only exacerbate the
    > situation by causing more CPU and disk contention.

+ Reply to Thread