Netware: unable to connect to netbackup host 'xxx' - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Netware: unable to connect to netbackup host 'xxx' - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi all, I have an series problem about netware client. As titled, i got an error message when i browsed the 'backup selections'. I have set the following which indicates on admin guide: 1. Gateway for Netware service; 2. Installed ...

  1. Netware: unable to connect to netbackup host 'xxx'

    Hi all,
    I have an series problem about netware client. As titled, i got an
    error message when i browsed the 'backup selections'. I have set the
    following which indicates on admin guide:
    1. Gateway for Netware service;
    2. Installed the Novell client and got the admin rights.
    I can browse all files on 'my network place' but still can't access in
    netbackup,,,this problem make me mask! Can anybody give me a hand? ToT...

  2. Re: Netware: unable to connect to netbackup host 'xxx'

    Net rocker wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I have an series problem about netware client. As titled, i got an
    > error message when i browsed the 'backup selections'. I have set the
    > following which indicates on admin guide:
    > 1. Gateway for Netware service;
    > 2. Installed the Novell client and got the admin rights.
    > I can browse all files on 'my network place' but still can't access in
    > netbackup,,,this problem make me mask! Can anybody give me a hand? ToT...

    This looks badly mechanically translated...

    Anyway, guessing you are running in Non-Target mode, using a Win32 box
    as an intermediary box between TSA on the Netware server and BP on the
    NBU server. (Aka via BPSRV.NLM on the server).

    You should not need the Gateway Service for Netware, but you do need
    the Novell client. What account is used in Netbackup to access the
    Netware server? It should have the correct rights.

    You might want to consider using NB in Target mode, whose major
    downside is no GUI tool to do restores, but it looks just like the
    Unix'y interface (Linux, Mac OS X, etc).

  3. Re: Netware: unable to connect to netbackup host 'xxx'

    It's exactly in Target mode. I have removed all target file and recreate
    them but still no use.

    "Geoffrey Carman" ???????:42f3aba3@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > Net rocker wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >> I have an series problem about netware client. As titled, i got an
    >> error message when i browsed the 'backup selections'. I have set the
    >> following which indicates on admin guide:
    >> 1. Gateway for Netware service;
    >> 2. Installed the Novell client and got the admin rights.
    >> I can browse all files on 'my network place' but still can't access
    >> in
    >> netbackup,,,this problem make me mask! Can anybody give me a hand?
    >> ToT...

    > This looks badly mechanically translated...
    >
    > Anyway, guessing you are running in Non-Target mode, using a Win32 box as
    > an intermediary box between TSA on the Netware server and BP on the NBU
    > server. (Aka via BPSRV.NLM on the server).
    >
    > You should not need the Gateway Service for Netware, but you do need the
    > Novell client. What account is used in Netbackup to access the Netware
    > server? It should have the correct rights.
    >
    > You might want to consider using NB in Target mode, whose major downside
    > is no GUI tool to do restores, but it looks just like the Unix'y interface
    > (Linux, Mac OS X, etc).

  4. Re: Netware: unable to connect to netbackup host 'xxx'

    Net rocker wrote:
    > It's exactly in Target mode. I have removed all target file and recreate
    > them but still no use.

    Ok try this:
    LOAD BP
    T for target
    L for list Target

    What happens? Does it show the info or is there a TSA error code?

    On your server, they should use the Standard class, with a path of
    /TARGETNAME/ (Has to be 8 or fewer characters actually)

    If the backup admin is using Netware class, it will not work. That is
    for Non-Target mode.

    You can use the same TARGETNAME on all servers. So then you only need
    one class type (very simple) to backup all your Netware servers in
    Target mode.

    > "Geoffrey Carman" ???????:42f3aba3@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >> Net rocker wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> I have an series problem about netware client. As titled, i got an
    >>> error message when i browsed the 'backup selections'. I have set the
    >>> following which indicates on admin guide:
    >>> 1. Gateway for Netware service;
    >>> 2. Installed the Novell client and got the admin rights.
    >>> I can browse all files on 'my network place' but still can't access
    >>> in
    >>> netbackup,,,this problem make me mask! Can anybody give me a hand?
    >>> ToT...

    >> This looks badly mechanically translated...
    >>
    >> Anyway, guessing you are running in Non-Target mode, using a Win32 box as
    >> an intermediary box between TSA on the Netware server and BP on the NBU
    >> server. (Aka via BPSRV.NLM on the server).
    >>
    >> You should not need the Gateway Service for Netware, but you do need the
    >> Novell client. What account is used in Netbackup to access the Netware
    >> server? It should have the correct rights.
    >>
    >> You might want to consider using NB in Target mode, whose major downside
    >> is no GUI tool to do restores, but it looks just like the Unix'y interface
    >> (Linux, Mac OS X, etc).

  5. Re: Netware: unable to connect to netbackup host 'xxx'

    What you have said of Target and Non-Target mode is exactly i saw it in
    admin guide. I configured the "standard" class, the client type "Netware"
    and the backup selection that i use is "/" + TARGETNAME.

    The question: show the infomation.

    I have re-tested it. It show the error msg "Unable to connect to Netbackup
    host "XXX".

    "Geoffrey Carman" ???????:43022d44@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > Net rocker wrote:
    >> It's exactly in Target mode. I have removed all target file and recreate
    >> them but still no use.

    > Ok try this:
    > LOAD BP
    > T for target
    > L for list Target
    >
    > What happens? Does it show the info or is there a TSA error code?
    >
    > On your server, they should use the Standard class, with a path of
    > /TARGETNAME/ (Has to be 8 or fewer characters actually)
    >
    > If the backup admin is using Netware class, it will not work. That is for
    > Non-Target mode.
    >
    > You can use the same TARGETNAME on all servers. So then you only need one
    > class type (very simple) to backup all your Netware servers in Target
    > mode.

    >>> This looks badly mechanically translated...
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, guessing you are running in Non-Target mode, using a Win32 box
    >>> as an intermediary box between TSA on the Netware server and BP on the
    >>> NBU server. (Aka via BPSRV.NLM on the server).
    >>>
    >>> You should not need the Gateway Service for Netware, but you do need the
    >>> Novell client. What account is used in Netbackup to access the Netware
    >>> server? It should have the correct rights.
    >>>
    >>> You might want to consider using NB in Target mode, whose major downside
    >>> is no GUI tool to do restores, but it looks just like the Unix'y
    >>> interface (Linux, Mac OS X, etc).

  6. Re: Netware: unable to connect to netbackup host 'xxx'

    Note: The error msg is shown when i browse the backup selection.

    "Net rocker" 撰寫於郵件新聞:4302b5f8@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > What you have said of Target and Non-Target mode is exactly i saw it in
    > admin guide. I configured the "standard" class, the client type "Netware"
    > and the backup selection that i use is "/" + TARGETNAME.
    >
    > The question: show the infomation.
    >
    > I have re-tested it. It show the error msg "Unable to connect to
    > Netbackup host "XXX".
    >

    > "Geoffrey Carman" ???????:43022d44@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >> Net rocker wrote:
    >>> It's exactly in Target mode. I have removed all target file and
    >>> recreate them but still no use.

    >> Ok try this:
    >> LOAD BP
    >> T for target
    >> L for list Target
    >>
    >> What happens? Does it show the info or is there a TSA error code?
    >>
    >> On your server, they should use the Standard class, with a path of
    >> /TARGETNAME/ (Has to be 8 or fewer characters actually)
    >>
    >> If the backup admin is using Netware class, it will not work. That is
    >> for Non-Target mode.
    >>
    >> You can use the same TARGETNAME on all servers. So then you only need
    >> one class type (very simple) to backup all your Netware servers in Target
    >> mode.
    >>

    >>> "Geoffrey Carman" ???????:42f3aba3@ROSASTDMZ05....

  7. Re: Netware: unable to connect to netbackup host 'xxx'

    Net rocker wrote:
    > Note: The error msg is shown when i browse the backup selection.

    Um, if you
    LOAD PING ipaddress.ip.com (Use the IP NAME of your backup media server).

    Does it resolve the name ok? If not, edidt sys:\etc\hosts and add the
    media server.

    We only have one media/master server, so I do not know if it needs to
    know who the master server is as well, but through it in the hosts file
    as well for the heck of it.

    > "Net rocker" 撰寫於郵件新聞:4302b5f8@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >> What you have said of Target and Non-Target mode is exactly i saw it in
    >> admin guide. I configured the "standard" class, the client type "Netware"
    >> and the backup selection that i use is "/" + TARGETNAME.
    >>
    >> The question: show the infomation.
    >>
    >> I have re-tested it. It show the error msg "Unable to connect to
    >> Netbackup host "XXX".

    >>> Ok try this:
    >>> LOAD BP
    >>> T for target
    >>> L for list Target
    >>>
    >>> What happens? Does it show the info or is there a TSA error code?
    >>>
    >>> On your server, they should use the Standard class, with a path of
    >>> /TARGETNAME/ (Has to be 8 or fewer characters actually)
    >>>
    >>> If the backup admin is using Netware class, it will not work. That is
    >>> for Non-Target mode.
    >>>
    >>> You can use the same TARGETNAME on all servers. So then you only need
    >>> one class type (very simple) to backup all your Netware servers in Target
    >>> mode.

  8. Re: Netware: unable to connect to netbackup host 'xxx'

    Yes, it does.

    "Geoffrey Carman" ???????:4303822c@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > Net rocker wrote:
    >> Note: The error msg is shown when i browse the backup selection.

    > Um, if you
    > LOAD PING ipaddress.ip.com (Use the IP NAME of your backup media server).
    >
    > Does it resolve the name ok? If not, edidt sys:\etc\hosts and add the
    > media server.
    >
    > We only have one media/master server, so I do not know if it needs to know
    > who the master server is as well, but through it in the hosts file as well
    > for the heck of it.
    >

    >> "Net rocker"
    >> 撰寫於郵件新聞:4302b5f8@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >>> What you have said of Target and Non-Target mode is exactly i saw it in
    >>> admin guide. I configured the "standard" class, the client type
    >>> "Netware" and the backup selection that i use is "/" + TARGETNAME.
    >>>
    >>> The question: show the infomation.
    >>>
    >>> I have re-tested it. It show the error msg "Unable to connect to
    >>> Netbackup host "XXX".
    >>>

    >>> "Geoffrey Carman" ???????:43022d44@ROSASTDMZ05....

  9. Re: Netware: unable to connect to netbackup host 'xxx'

    Try pinging by server name also. NetBackup does a lot of reverse DNS
    lookups. Also make sure you can run nslookup from the media server
    that will back up this Netware client by ip and by hostname. If any of
    that fails implement host files.

    JR

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:49:03 +0800, "Net rocker"
    wrote:

    >Yes, it does.
    >
    >"Geoffrey Carman" ???????:4303822c@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >> Net rocker wrote:
    >>> Note: The error msg is shown when i browse the backup selection.

    >> Um, if you
    >> LOAD PING ipaddress.ip.com (Use the IP NAME of your backup media server).
    >>
    >> Does it resolve the name ok? If not, edidt sys:\etc\hosts and add the
    >> media server.
    >>
    >> We only have one media/master server, so I do not know if it needs to know
    >> who the master server is as well, but through it in the hosts file as well
    >> for the heck of it.
    >>

    >>> "Net rocker"
    >>> 撰寫於郵件新聞:4302b5f8@ROSASTDMZ05....

  10. Netware: unable to connect to netbackup host 'xxx'

    If you are using the "non target" method for your netware backups the servers
    and your workstation must have the IPX protocol installed and konfigured.

    If you are using the "target" method you can't browse backup selection from
    the media/master server.

    You should be able to get/read the client parameters regardless backup method.

    /Per

    "Net rocker" wrote:
    >Hi all,
    > I have an series problem about netware client. As titled, i got an
    >error message when i browsed the 'backup selections'. I have set the
    >following which indicates on admin guide:
    >1. Gateway for Netware service;
    >2. Installed the Novell client and got the admin rights.
    > I can browse all files on 'my network place' but still can't access

    in
    >netbackup,,,this problem make me mask! Can anybody give me a hand? ToT...

  11. Netware: unable to connect to netbackup host 'xxx'

    Are there any ways to get around installing and configuring IPX on the Netware
    server and/or client?

    "Per" wrote:

    >If you are using the "non target" method for your netware backups the servers
    >and your workstation must have the IPX protocol installed and konfigured.
    >
    >If you are using the "target" method you can't browse backup selection from
    >the media/master server.
    >
    >You should be able to get/read the client parameters regardless backup method.
    >
    >/Per
    >
    >"Net rocker" wrote:
    >>Hi all,
    >> I have an series problem about netware client. As titled, i got

    an
    >>error message when i browsed the 'backup selections'. I have set the
    >>following which indicates on admin guide:
    >>1. Gateway for Netware service;
    >>2. Installed the Novell client and got the admin rights.
    >> I can browse all files on 'my network place' but still can't access

    >in
    >>netbackup,,,this problem make me mask! Can anybody give me a hand? ToT...

  12. Netware: unable to connect to netbackup host 'xxx'

    Depending on which method you use IPX, to my knowledge, is required.
    To be able to browse the Netware servers volumes from a workstation and select
    what to backup (non-target), you must have the IPX protocol installed on
    servers and the workstation you operate. If you use the target version you
    do not need IPX.

    /Per

    "Dino" wrote:

    >Are there any ways to get around installing and configuring IPX on the Netware
    >server and/or client?
    >
    >"Per" wrote:
    >>
    >>If you are using the "non target" method for your netware backups the servers
    >>and your workstation must have the IPX protocol installed and konfigured.
    >>
    >>If you are using the "target" method you can't browse backup selection

    from
    >>the media/master server.
    >>
    >>You should be able to get/read the client parameters regardless backup

    method.

    >>/Per
    >>
    >>"Net rocker" wrote:
    >>>Hi all,
    >>> I have an series problem about netware client. As titled, i got

    >an
    >>>error message when i browsed the 'backup selections'. I have set the
    >>>following which indicates on admin guide:
    >>>1. Gateway for Netware service;
    >>>2. Installed the Novell client and got the admin rights.
    >>> I can browse all files on 'my network place' but still can't access

    >>in
    >>>netbackup,,,this problem make me mask! Can anybody give me a hand? ToT...

+ Reply to Thread