socket write failed - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on socket write failed - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, Pl. find the error message generated during full backup. All other clients in the same network are working fine bpbkar: ERR - Cannot write to STDOUT. Errno = 32: Broken pipe 18:01:24.760 [10575] bpbkar: ERR - bpbkar FATAL exit ...

  1. socket write failed

    Hi,

    Pl. find the error message generated during full backup. All other clients
    in the same network are working fine

    bpbkar: ERR - Cannot write to STDOUT. Errno = 32: Broken pipe
    18:01:24.760 [10575] <16> bpbkar: ERR - bpbkar FATAL exit status = 24: socket
    write failed

  2. Re: socket write failed

    in article 42f1f87e@ROSASTDMZ05., srinivasan at srinivasant@accelicim.com
    wrote on 8/4/05 4:14 AM:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Pl. find the error message generated during full backup. All other clients
    > in the same network are working fine
    >
    > bpbkar: ERR - Cannot write to STDOUT. Errno = 32: Broken pipe
    > 18:01:24.760 [10575] <16> bpbkar: ERR - bpbkar FATAL exit status = 24: socket
    > write failed

    Veritas manuals and support site are your friend.

    NetBackup Status Code: 24

    Message: socket write failed

    Explanation: A write operation to a socket failed.

    Recommended Action:

    1. Check the NetBackup Problems report for clues on where and why the
    failure occurred. If you cannot determine the cause from the Problems
    report, create debug log directories for the processes that could have
    returned this status code. Then retry the operation and check the resulting
    debug logs.
    2. A possible cause could be a high network load. For example, this has been
    seen in conjunction with Cannot write to STDOUT when a Windows system that
    is monitoring network load has detected a high load and sent an ICMP packet
    to other systems that says the route being used by those systems was
    disconnected. The log messages were similar to the following:

    01/31/96 14:05:23 ruble crabtree.null.com from client

    crabtree.null.com: ERR -Cannot write to STDOUT. Err no= 242: No route

    to host

    01/31/96 14:05:48 ruble crabtree.null.com successfully wrote backup id

    crabtree.null.com_0823125016, copy 1, fragment 1, 440864 Kbytes at

    628.538 Kbytes/sec

    01/31/96 14:05:51 netbackup crabtree.null.com CLIENT crabtree.null.com

    POLICY Remote3SysFullW SCHED Sirius EXIT STATUS 24 (socket write

    failed)

    3. On Sun Solaris, verify that all operating system patches are installed
    (see the Operating Notes section of the NetBackup Release Notes).
    4. On Windows, verify that the recommended service packs are installed.
    5. This error may occur during a restore to a Novell client. Note the
    following possible actions:
    ◆By default, the value for Novell “Maximum Packet Receive Buffers” may be
    too low (such as 100). The restore performance may be improved by changing
    this value to 2000. To change it, issue “SET Maximum Packet Receive
    Buffers=” at the console, or enter the value in either of the
    following
    Novell files: sys:system\startup.ncf or sys:system\autoexec.ncf.
    ◆Change to or add the following settings in the Novell
    sys:system\autoexec.ncf file:

    SET Maximum Packet Receive Buffers = 4000
    SET Maximum Directory Cache Buffers = 4000
    SET Maximum Concurrent Disk Cache Writes = 2000
    SET Maximum Concurrent Directory Cache Writes = 2000
    SET Maximum Physical Receive Packet Size = 1514

    6. Run the NetBackup Configuration Validation Utility (NCVU) on the master
    server and clients. Note the name resolution checks in section seven and
    NCVU summary.

  3. Re: socket write failed

    srinivasan wrote, in part, on 8/4/2005 7:14 AM:
    > Pl. find the error message generated during full backup. All other clients
    > in the same network are working fine
    >
    > bpbkar: ERR - Cannot write to STDOUT. Errno = 32: Broken pipe
    > 18:01:24.760 [10575] <16> bpbkar: ERR - bpbkar FATAL exit status = 24: socket
    > write failed

    Sun document 80878 discusses this exact situation:

    http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/docum...y=1-25-80878-1

    (Sorry, Sun does my NetBackup service ... there may be similar documents
    in the NetBackup knowledge base at Veritas/Symantec.

    This document basically says to up logging to VERBOSE=5, restart the
    backup server, rerun backup and view the bpbkar log to see more detailed
    information. Some of the causes are a corrupt NetBackup client
    installation (reinstall the latest client), or network/hardware
    communication issues.

    cheers, wayne

+ Reply to Thread