status 6 on Oracle backup - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on status 6 on Oracle backup - Veritas Net Backup ; All, I am receiving an error status of 6 when backing up our Oracle database. The backup runs normally on the first backup tape, but when that tape is full and another is loaded the backup fails with the status ...

  1. status 6 on Oracle backup

    All,

    I am receiving an error status of 6 when backing up our Oracle database.
    The backup runs normally on the first backup tape, but when that tape is
    full and another is loaded the backup fails with the status code of 6. Our
    Master server is Windows 2003 SP1 and the Oracle machine is UNIX Tru64 5.1b.
    Has anyone experienced this before?

    Thanks in advance,
    Steve

  2. Re: status 6 on Oracle backup

    I get some of those. When I asked my DBA, he said this was expected, as
    some data base was defined, but not installed, (or something like
    that!). ymmv

    Steve wrote, in part, on 7/1/2005 10:28 AM:
    > I am receiving an error status of 6 when backing up our Oracle database.
    > The backup runs normally on the first backup tape, but when that tape is
    > full and another is loaded the backup fails with the status code of 6. Our
    > Master server is Windows 2003 SP1 and the Oracle machine is UNIX Tru64 5.1b.
    > Has anyone experienced this before?

  3. Re: status 6 on Oracle backup

    Steve, this error is very generic. What type of backup are you trying to execute?
    COLD or HOT? Could you send to us the RMAN log. If the backp is a COLD, has
    anyone zipped any archive file recently? If this happened, try to run the
    validate or crosscheck in the database.

    Regards,

    Ramon

    "Steve" wrote:

    >All,
    >
    >I am receiving an error status of 6 when backing up our Oracle database.
    > The backup runs normally on the first backup tape, but when that tape is
    >full and another is loaded the backup fails with the status code of 6.

    Our
    >Master server is Windows 2003 SP1 and the Oracle machine is UNIX Tru64 5.1b.
    > Has anyone experienced this before?
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Steve

  4. Re: status 6 on Oracle backup

    "Ramon Cunha" wrote:

    >Steve, this error is very generic. What type of backup are you trying to

    execute?
    >COLD or HOT? Could you send to us the RMAN log. If the backp is a COLD,

    has
    >anyone zipped any archive file recently? If this happened, try to run the
    >validate or crosscheck in the database.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Ramon
    >

    >"Steve" wrote:
    >>
    >>All,
    >>
    >>I am receiving an error status of 6 when backing up our Oracle database.
    >> The backup runs normally on the first backup tape, but when that tape

    is
    >>full and another is loaded the backup fails with the status code of 6.

    >Our
    >>Master server is Windows 2003 SP1 and the Oracle machine is UNIX Tru64

    5.1b.
    >> Has anyone experienced this before?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance,
    >>Steve

    True, status 6 is an annoying generic error. What springs to mind here is
    where we had a similar problem years ago when RMAN backups would fail instead
    of spanning tapes. It was down to fixed block sizes in the /kernel/drv/st.conf
    file due to variable block sizes. This was in Solaris so don't know if it's
    the same problem or even how you would address block sizes in Windows. i'm
    probably way off target on this one but thought i'd mention it anyway

  5. Re: status 6 on Oracle backup

    I am running a RMAN hot backup

    "Creaky" wrote:

    >"Ramon Cunha" wrote:
    >>
    >>Steve, this error is very generic. What type of backup are you trying to

    >execute?
    >>COLD or HOT? Could you send to us the RMAN log. If the backp is a COLD,

    >has
    >>anyone zipped any archive file recently? If this happened, try to run the
    >>validate or crosscheck in the database.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>Ramon
    >>

    >>"Steve" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>All,
    >>>
    >>>I am receiving an error status of 6 when backing up our Oracle database.
    >>> The backup runs normally on the first backup tape, but when that tape

    >is
    >>>full and another is loaded the backup fails with the status code of 6.

    >>Our
    >>>Master server is Windows 2003 SP1 and the Oracle machine is UNIX Tru64

    >5.1b.
    >>> Has anyone experienced this before?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance,
    >>>Steve

    >True, status 6 is an annoying generic error. What springs to mind here is
    >where we had a similar problem years ago when RMAN backups would fail instead
    >of spanning tapes. It was down to fixed block sizes in the /kernel/drv/st.conf
    >file due to variable block sizes. This was in Solaris so don't know if it's
    >the same problem or even how you would address block sizes in Windows. i'm
    >probably way off target on this one but thought i'd mention it anyway

  6. Re: status 6 on Oracle backup

    "Steve" wrote:

    >I am running a RMAN hot backup
    >

    >"Creaky" wrote:
    >>
    >>"Ramon Cunha" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Steve, this error is very generic. What type of backup are you trying

    >>execute?
    >>>COLD or HOT? Could you send to us the RMAN log. If the backp is a COLD,

    >>has
    >>>anyone zipped any archive file recently? If this happened, try to run

    the
    >>>validate or crosscheck in the database.
    >>>
    >>>Regards,
    >>>
    >>>Ramon

    >>is

    >>>Our

    >>5.1b.

    >>True, status 6 is an annoying generic error. What springs to mind here

    is
    >>where we had a similar problem years ago when RMAN backups would fail instead
    >>of spanning tapes. It was down to fixed block sizes in the /kernel/drv/st.conf
    >>file due to variable block sizes. This was in Solaris so don't know if

    it's
    >>the same problem or even how you would address block sizes in Windows.

    i'm
    >>probably way off target on this one but thought i'd mention it anyway

    ???

    mine too are RMAN hot backups..

  7. Re: status 6 on Oracle backup

    I'm experiencing the same error on my Oracle Databases. My Master/Media servers
    is a Windows 2003 SP1, running NetBackup Enterprise 5.1 MP3a. My Database
    server is a Sun 880. Sometimes the status 6 is registered in the Activiy
    Monitor, on Netbackup GUI. There are times that I don't know that job failed,
    unless the DBA informs me about it, throught the RMAN logs. The RMAN logs
    registers the following Errata:
    RMAN-00571: ================================================== =========
    RMAN-00571: ================================================== =========
    RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on ch03 channel at 12/14/2005 05:56:57
    ORA-19506: failed to create sequential file, name="arch-s1737-p1-t577000531",
    parms=""
    ORA-27028: skgfqcre: sbtbackup returned error
    ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:
    VxBSACreateObject: Failed with error:
    Server Status: Communication with the server has not been iniatated or
    the server status has not been retrieved from the server.

    RMAN>
    RMAN> **end-of-file**

    RMAN>

    I've logged a ticket with Symantec, but no one, has returned my call yet.

    Please let me know if anyone has seen this.

    Thanks

    Andres

  8. Re: status 6 on Oracle backup

    Andres, has anyone replied to you from Veritas yet? We're experiencing
    something very similar with our Windows 2003/Netbackup6MP2/Oracle10gR2
    system...

    Thanks,

    Hope Dundas
    University of Michigan
    Housing IT Office
    Database/Systems Administrator

    Andres wrote:
    > I'm experiencing the same error on my Oracle Databases. My Master/Media servers
    > is a Windows 2003 SP1, running NetBackup Enterprise 5.1 MP3a. My Database
    > server is a Sun 880. Sometimes the status 6 is registered in the Activiy
    > Monitor, on Netbackup GUI. There are times that I don't know that job failed,
    > unless the DBA informs me about it, throught the RMAN logs. The RMAN logs
    > registers the following Errata:
    > RMAN-00571: ================================================== =========
    > RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
    > RMAN-00571: ================================================== =========
    > RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on ch03 channel at 12/14/2005 05:56:57
    > ORA-19506: failed to create sequential file, name="arch-s1737-p1-t577000531",
    > parms=""
    > ORA-27028: skgfqcre: sbtbackup returned error
    > ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:
    > VxBSACreateObject: Failed with error:
    > Server Status: Communication with the server has not been iniatated or
    > the server status has not been retrieved from the server.
    >
    > RMAN>
    > RMAN> **end-of-file**
    >
    > RMAN>
    >
    > I've logged a ticket with Symantec, but no one, has returned my call yet.
    >
    > Please let me know if anyone has seen this.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Andres

  9. Re: status 6 on Oracle backup

    Andres wrote:
    > I'm experiencing the same error on my Oracle Databases. My Master/Media servers
    > is a Windows 2003 SP1, running NetBackup Enterprise 5.1 MP3a. My Database
    > server is a Sun 880. Sometimes the status 6 is registered in the Activiy
    > Monitor, on Netbackup GUI. There are times that I don't know that job failed,
    > unless the DBA informs me about it, throught the RMAN logs. The RMAN logs
    > registers the following Errata:
    > RMAN-00571: ================================================== =========
    > RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
    > RMAN-00571: ================================================== =========
    > RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on ch03 channel at 12/14/2005 05:56:57
    > ORA-19506: failed to create sequential file, name="arch-s1737-p1-t577000531",
    > parms=""
    > ORA-27028: skgfqcre: sbtbackup returned error
    > ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:
    > VxBSACreateObject: Failed with error:
    > Server Status: Communication with the server has not been iniatated or
    > the server status has not been retrieved from the server.
    >
    > RMAN>
    > RMAN> **end-of-file**
    >
    > RMAN>
    >
    > I've logged a ticket with Symantec, but no one, has returned my call yet.
    >
    > Please let me know if anyone has seen this.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Andres

  10. Re: status 6 on Oracle backup

    Does the error happen every time or intermittently? Does it only happen with
    Oracle but not, for example, a regular filesystem backup?

    If every time, have you verified that the master and media servers can see
    the client and vice versa? At the very least, from the master you should
    be able to view the host properties.

    From the client,

    cd /usr/openv/netbackup/bin

    bpclntcmd -pn

    bpclntcmd -hn media_server_name

    bpclntcmd -ip media_server_ip

    You should get positive responses for all 3. If anything doesn't work, then
    it's probably a name lookup or authentication issue. For example, the client
    gets the request from the media server and does a reverse lookup of the media
    server's IP. If that fails, the job can't start.

    Scott

    Hope Dundas wrote:
    >Andres, has anyone replied to you from Veritas yet? We're experiencing
    >something very similar with our Windows 2003/Netbackup6MP2/Oracle10gR2
    >system...
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    > Hope Dundas
    > University of Michigan
    > Housing IT Office
    > Database/Systems Administrator
    >
    >Andres wrote:
    >> I'm experiencing the same error on my Oracle Databases. My Master/Media

    servers
    >> is a Windows 2003 SP1, running NetBackup Enterprise 5.1 MP3a. My Database
    >> server is a Sun 880. Sometimes the status 6 is registered in the Activiy
    >> Monitor, on Netbackup GUI. There are times that I don't know that job

    failed,
    >> unless the DBA informs me about it, throught the RMAN logs. The RMAN logs
    >> registers the following Errata:
    >> RMAN-00571: ================================================== =========
    >> RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
    >> RMAN-00571: ================================================== =========
    >> RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on ch03 channel at 12/14/2005 05:56:57
    >> ORA-19506: failed to create sequential file, name="arch-s1737-p1-t577000531",
    >> parms=""
    >> ORA-27028: skgfqcre: sbtbackup returned error
    >> ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:
    >> VxBSACreateObject: Failed with error:
    >> Server Status: Communication with the server has not been iniatated

    or
    >> the server status has not been retrieved from the server.
    >>
    >> RMAN>
    >> RMAN> **end-of-file**
    >>
    >> RMAN>
    >>
    >> I've logged a ticket with Symantec, but no one, has returned my call yet.
    >>
    >> Please let me know if anyone has seen this.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Andres

+ Reply to Thread