View files on tape - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on View files on tape - Veritas Net Backup ; We had a guy use the wrong set of tapes for a backup. Is there a way to actually view the files that are on the tape? I was hoping there is a way to explore the tape to see ...

  1. View files on tape

    We had a guy use the wrong set of tapes for a backup. Is there a way to actually
    view the files that are on the tape? I was hoping there is a way to explore
    the tape to see what files got on there.

  2. Re: View files on tape

    "Darrin Jenkins" wrote:

    >We had a guy use the wrong set of tapes for a backup. Is there a way to

    actually
    >view the files that are on the tape? I was hoping there is a way to explore
    >the tape to see what files got on there.

    you can actually manually by doing the following:
    a) either stop netbackup using your tape drive, or use anohter drive, and
    mountthe tape you want to view
    b) /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/tar -tvf {nonrewind tape device} > /tmp/list1.out
    c) do this several times as there are several sections on the tape.

  3. Re: View files on tape

    You can also run the media contents report and it will show you what
    is on the tapes. It actually reads the full tape, so it will take a
    long time.

    Jeff

    On 2 Jun 2005 10:30:44 -0500, "Darrin Jenkins"
    wrote:

    >We had a guy use the wrong set of tapes for a backup. Is there a way to actually
    >view the files that are on the tape? I was hoping there is a way to explore
    >the tape to see what files got on there.

+ Reply to Thread