NBU and XP SP 2 client problems RESOLVED!! - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on NBU and XP SP 2 client problems RESOLVED!! - Veritas Net Backup ; I finally identified the culprit! NBU 5.0 and Windows XP do not appreciate when MCAFEE ANTIVIRUS PROFESSIONAL v7.0 is installed! After I wiped my system and reinstalled Windows XP, I made small 20 MB backups after every piece of software ...

  1. NBU and XP SP 2 client problems RESOLVED!!

    I finally identified the culprit! NBU 5.0 and Windows XP do not
    appreciate when MCAFEE ANTIVIRUS PROFESSIONAL v7.0 is installed!

    After I wiped my system and reinstalled Windows XP, I made small 20 MB
    backups after every piece of software that I installed. After
    installing MAV, the backup failed exactly like what it was doing before.
    Once I uninstaled MAV, backups ran without a problem!

    Time to look for a different anti-virus solution!

  2. Re: NBU and XP SP 2 client problems RESOLVED!!

    I have never heard of an issue with those 2 products. In fact, we use
    Mcafee here. Of course we are using Virus Scan Enterprise 8, but
    still. Could it have something to do with active scanning of files?
    There was a problem with this in previous versions of virus scan and
    NetBackup but it was resolved. You could try turning off active
    scanning during read operations and see if it makes a difference or
    disable VSP and see if that works. It may be that the antivirus is
    trying to read the VSP cache file which could cause some issues.

    Jeff

    On Thu, 05 May 2005 22:16:21 -0400, John B
    wrote:

    >I finally identified the culprit! NBU 5.0 and Windows XP do not
    >appreciate when MCAFEE ANTIVIRUS PROFESSIONAL v7.0 is installed!
    >
    >After I wiped my system and reinstalled Windows XP, I made small 20 MB
    >backups after every piece of software that I installed. After
    >installing MAV, the backup failed exactly like what it was doing before.
    > Once I uninstaled MAV, backups ran without a problem!
    >
    >Time to look for a different anti-virus solution!

  3. Re: NBU and XP SP 2 client problems RESOLVED!!

    Nope. Didn't matter. I disabled active scanning and shut down the
    service as well. It still wouldn't back up. Uninstalling it was the
    only way. I'm not going to worry out it. Maybe it's jst a sign to get
    a newer version.

    -- John

    Jeff Redington wrote:
    > I have never heard of an issue with those 2 products. In fact, we use
    > Mcafee here. Of course we are using Virus Scan Enterprise 8, but
    > still. Could it have something to do with active scanning of files?
    > There was a problem with this in previous versions of virus scan and
    > NetBackup but it was resolved. You could try turning off active
    > scanning during read operations and see if it makes a difference or
    > disable VSP and see if that works. It may be that the antivirus is
    > trying to read the VSP cache file which could cause some issues.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > On Thu, 05 May 2005 22:16:21 -0400, John B
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I finally identified the culprit! NBU 5.0 and Windows XP do not
    >>appreciate when MCAFEE ANTIVIRUS PROFESSIONAL v7.0 is installed!
    >>
    >>After I wiped my system and reinstalled Windows XP, I made small 20 MB
    >>backups after every piece of software that I installed. After
    >>installing MAV, the backup failed exactly like what it was doing before.
    >> Once I uninstaled MAV, backups ran without a problem!
    >>
    >>Time to look for a different anti-virus solution!

  4. Re: NBU and XP SP 2 client problems RESOLVED!!

    Did you tried to exclude the quarantine folder? There is documentation which
    says to do this

    John B wrote:

    >Nope. Didn't matter. I disabled active scanning and shut down the
    >service as well. It still wouldn't back up. Uninstalling it was the
    >only way. I'm not going to worry out it. Maybe it's jst a sign to get

    >a newer version.
    >
    >-- John
    >
    >Jeff Redington wrote:
    >> I have never heard of an issue with those 2 products. In fact, we use
    >> Mcafee here. Of course we are using Virus Scan Enterprise 8, but
    >> still. Could it have something to do with active scanning of files?
    >> There was a problem with this in previous versions of virus scan and
    >> NetBackup but it was resolved. You could try turning off active
    >> scanning during read operations and see if it makes a difference or
    >> disable VSP and see if that works. It may be that the antivirus is
    >> trying to read the VSP cache file which could cause some issues.
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >>
    >> On Thu, 05 May 2005 22:16:21 -0400, John B
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I finally identified the culprit! NBU 5.0 and Windows XP do not
    >>>appreciate when MCAFEE ANTIVIRUS PROFESSIONAL v7.0 is installed!
    >>>
    >>>After I wiped my system and reinstalled Windows XP, I made small 20 MB

    >>>backups after every piece of software that I installed. After
    >>>installing MAV, the backup failed exactly like what it was doing before.

    >>> Once I uninstaled MAV, backups ran without a problem!
    >>>
    >>>Time to look for a different anti-virus solution!

+ Reply to Thread