Unique catalog backup strategy. - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Unique catalog backup strategy. - Veritas Net Backup ; To answer your first question, Yes you can always restore the catalog information by simply importing the tapes as long as time is not a big issue. It will take a while to import 20 pieces of media but it ...

  1. Re: Unique catalog backup strategy.

    To answer your first question, Yes you can always restore the catalog
    information by simply importing the tapes as long as time is not a big
    issue. It will take a while to import 20 pieces of media but it can be
    done very easily. To answer the 2nd question, no you cannot create a
    policy to backup the catalogs manually becuase the folders where the
    catalog reside are part of the automatic excludes that NetBackup has
    for filesystem backups.

    On 4 May 2005 09:27:14 -0500, "Jeff Appler"
    wrote:

    >I'm looking for a way to change the way we currently do our catalog backups.
    >
    >Currently, our catalog backup runs almost the entire day. This is undesirable
    >as we need some amount of downtime during the day to cleanup disk space.
    >

    >We have approximately 15 Media Servers (Windows) that are out of town, from
    >which we bring the catalog backups back to the Master Server (Unix). These
    >15 media servers all use a locally installed standalone tape drive and work
    >on a tape rotation.
    >
    >If we take the catalogs from these Media Servers out of the daily catalog
    >backup, the time to backup the catalog is what we're looking for.
    >
    >Now the main question...
    >
    >If we don't do any catalog backups on these 15 servers, is it possible to
    >rebuild the catalogs on them manually by importing the images from the 20
    >or so tapes in rotation?
    >
    >AND
    >
    >Is there a way to do a backup of the catalogs on these servers using a standard
    >Netbackup policy, and if we do this, is it possible to do a standard restore
    >back to the media server they came from?
    >
    >Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Jeff Appler

  2. Unique catalog backup strategy.

[...]

+ Reply to Thread