XP client never starts - Part 2 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on XP client never starts - Part 2 - Veritas Net Backup ; Yep. The problem is definitely my system somewhere. I installed XP SP 2 on another test system and it fired up after I put an entry for the server into the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file. I really don't want to reinstall my ...

  1. XP client never starts - Part 2

    Yep. The problem is definitely my system somewhere. I installed XP SP 2
    on another test system and it fired up after I put an entry for the server
    into the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file.

    I really don't want to reinstall my whole system just to clean up the stack
    from whatever might have corrupted it. I even performed a DLL restore from
    the original XP CD to no avail, which fortunately didn't break anything else.

    Any suggestions would be helpful, but it looks like either a system rebuild
    is in the works or I have to try to figure out exactly what happened to
    cause these 10038 errors.

  2. Re: XP client never starts - Part 2

    10038 errors are very often caused by firewall issues. Have you
    verified the XP firewall is turned off on this system?

    Jeff

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 22:13:05 -0400, John B
    wrote:

    >Yep. The problem is definitely my system somewhere. I installed XP SP 2
    >on another test system and it fired up after I put an entry for the server
    >into the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file.
    >
    >I really don't want to reinstall my whole system just to clean up the stack
    >from whatever might have corrupted it. I even performed a DLL restore from
    >the original XP CD to no avail, which fortunately didn't break anything else.
    >
    >Any suggestions would be helpful, but it looks like either a system rebuild
    >is in the works or I have to try to figure out exactly what happened to
    >cause these 10038 errors.

  3. Re: XP client never starts - Part 2

    I hate XP's firewall. I make sure that it's always off. The server
    connects to the client without a problem. It's just that when it comes
    to establishing the connection *back* to the server it gets the 10038
    error. The client backup monitor confirms that it gets its start and
    stop commands.

    John

    Jeff Redington wrote:
    > 10038 errors are very often caused by firewall issues. Have you
    > verified the XP firewall is turned off on this system?
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > On Tue, 03 May 2005 22:13:05 -0400, John B
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Yep. The problem is definitely my system somewhere. I installed XP SP 2
    >>on another test system and it fired up after I put an entry for the server
    >>into the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file.
    >>
    >>I really don't want to reinstall my whole system just to clean up the stack

    >>from whatever might have corrupted it. I even performed a DLL restore from

    >>the original XP CD to no avail, which fortunately didn't break anything else.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions would be helpful, but it looks like either a system rebuild
    >>is in the works or I have to try to figure out exactly what happened to
    >>cause these 10038 errors.

  4. Re: XP client never starts - Part 2

    Can you telnet to 13782 on the client from the media server and vice
    versa? It sounds like the outbound connection is being blocked by
    something.

    Jeff

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 12:54:00 -0400, John Berger
    wrote:

    >I hate XP's firewall. I make sure that it's always off. The server
    >connects to the client without a problem. It's just that when it comes
    >to establishing the connection *back* to the server it gets the 10038
    >error. The client backup monitor confirms that it gets its start and
    >stop commands.
    >
    >John
    >
    >Jeff Redington wrote:
    >> 10038 errors are very often caused by firewall issues. Have you
    >> verified the XP firewall is turned off on this system?
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >>
    >> On Tue, 03 May 2005 22:13:05 -0400, John B
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Yep. The problem is definitely my system somewhere. I installed XP SP 2
    >>>on another test system and it fired up after I put an entry for the server
    >>>into the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file.
    >>>
    >>>I really don't want to reinstall my whole system just to clean up the stack

    >>>from whatever might have corrupted it. I even performed a DLL restore from

    >>>the original XP CD to no avail, which fortunately didn't break anything else.
    >>>
    >>>Any suggestions would be helpful, but it looks like either a system rebuild
    >>>is in the works or I have to try to figure out exactly what happened to
    >>>cause these 10038 errors.

+ Reply to Thread