Installing new san media server - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Installing new san media server - Veritas Net Backup ; My environments is (Solaris 9 all of them) Netbackup 5.0 MP4 w/ SSO 1 Master Media Server, 14 Media Servers, all connected to a Storagetek tape library (with 3 LTO II tape drive) all via SAN. The OS (Sol 9) ...

  1. Installing new san media server

    My environments is (Solaris 9 all of them)
    Netbackup 5.0 MP4 w/ SSO
    1 Master Media Server, 14 Media Servers, all connected to a Storagetek tape
    library (with 3 LTO II tape drive) all via SAN.

    The OS (Sol 9) of the new 7 media server recognize the tape, and the sgscan
    and vmoprcmd script also. I've been having problem trying to incorporate
    the 3 new tape drive to the servers, because device wizard do not regnonize
    the new devices but the master server yes.

    Only the new 7 san media server can see the new 3 tape drives and everything
    was configurated at the SAN and tha master server can see everything.

    What can I do for ???

  2. Re: Installing new san media server

    Make sure the new drives are not zoned out in the SAN for the old
    media servers. If you are using zoning it may be that the servers that
    cannot see the drives are not in the same zone as the new drives.

    On 25 Apr 2005 18:05:03 -0500, "Adrian"
    wrote:

    >My environments is (Solaris 9 all of them)
    >Netbackup 5.0 MP4 w/ SSO
    >1 Master Media Server, 14 Media Servers, all connected to a Storagetek tape
    >library (with 3 LTO II tape drive) all via SAN.
    >
    >The OS (Sol 9) of the new 7 media server recognize the tape, and the sgscan
    >and vmoprcmd script also. I've been having problem trying to incorporate
    >the 3 new tape drive to the servers, because device wizard do not regnonize
    >the new devices but the master server yes.
    >
    >Only the new 7 san media server can see the new 3 tape drives and everything
    >was configurated at the SAN and tha master server can see everything.
    >
    >What can I do for ???

  3. Re: Installing new san media server

    Thank you for your help...

    All the new 7 san media server can see the new 3 tape drives via OS and if
    you use sgscan and vmoprcmd also can see the drives, but via Netbackup device
    configurationwizard you can not.

    Regards..
    Adrian

    Jeff Redington wrote:
    >Make sure the new drives are not zoned out in the SAN for the old
    >media servers. If you are using zoning it may be that the servers that
    >cannot see the drives are not in the same zone as the new drives.
    >

    >On 25 Apr 2005 18:05:03 -0500, "Adrian"
    >wrote:
    >

    >>My environments is (Solaris 9 all of them)
    >>Netbackup 5.0 MP4 w/ SSO
    >>1 Master Media Server, 14 Media Servers, all connected to a Storagetek

    tape
    >>library (with 3 LTO II tape drive) all via SAN.
    >>
    >>The OS (Sol 9) of the new 7 media server recognize the tape, and the sgscan
    >>and vmoprcmd script also. I've been having problem trying to incorporate
    >>the 3 new tape drive to the servers, because device wizard do not regnonize
    >>the new devices but the master server yes.
    >>
    >>Only the new 7 san media server can see the new 3 tape drives and everything
    >>was configurated at the SAN and tha master server can see everything.
    >>
    >>What can I do for ???

  4. Re: Installing new san media server

    What happens if you try to add the new drives manually to those
    servers?

    Jeff

    On 26 Apr 2005 14:26:47 -0500, "Adrian"
    wrote:

    >Thank you for your help...
    >
    >All the new 7 san media server can see the new 3 tape drives via OS and if
    >you use sgscan and vmoprcmd also can see the drives, but via Netbackup device
    >configurationwizard you can not.
    >
    >Regards..
    >Adrian
    >

    >Jeff Redington wrote:
    >>Make sure the new drives are not zoned out in the SAN for the old
    >>media servers. If you are using zoning it may be that the servers that
    >>cannot see the drives are not in the same zone as the new drives.
    >>

    >>On 25 Apr 2005 18:05:03 -0500, "Adrian"
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>My environments is (Solaris 9 all of them)
    >>>Netbackup 5.0 MP4 w/ SSO
    >>>1 Master Media Server, 14 Media Servers, all connected to a Storagetek

    > tape
    >>>library (with 3 LTO II tape drive) all via SAN.
    >>>
    >>>The OS (Sol 9) of the new 7 media server recognize the tape, and the sgscan
    >>>and vmoprcmd script also. I've been having problem trying to incorporate
    >>>the 3 new tape drive to the servers, because device wizard do not regnonize
    >>>the new devices but the master server yes.
    >>>
    >>>Only the new 7 san media server can see the new 3 tape drives and everything
    >>>was configurated at the SAN and tha master server can see everything.
    >>>
    >>>What can I do for ???

  5. Re: Installing new san media server

    Hello Adrian the first thing that you have to do is to check if the media
    servers recognize the drives with the cfgad -al command, if the media servers
    are unix.

    Rogelio.
    "Adrian" wrote:

    >My environments is (Solaris 9 all of them)
    >Netbackup 5.0 MP4 w/ SSO
    >1 Master Media Server, 14 Media Servers, all connected to a Storagetek

    tape
    >library (with 3 LTO II tape drive) all via SAN.
    >
    >The OS (Sol 9) of the new 7 media server recognize the tape, and the sgscan
    >and vmoprcmd script also. I've been having problem trying to incorporate
    >the 3 new tape drive to the servers, because device wizard do not regnonize
    >the new devices but the master server yes.
    >
    >Only the new 7 san media server can see the new 3 tape drives and everything
    >was configurated at the SAN and tha master server can see everything.
    >
    >What can I do for ???

  6. Re: Installing new san media server

    rogelio

    this is quite a challenge to make work, i would strongly advise going through
    the device manager and SSO manuals and the troubleshooting guide.They go
    through
    this in great detail.

    Simply put; _all_ media servers need installed licenses, need to be correctly
    zoned (or at least SAN viewable), and configured.

    Right at the end of the chain, if sgscan cant see your WWNs of your drives,
    then clearly netbackup wont be ale to see 'em, so follow the chain back (or
    indeed start from the other end)

    what does cfgadm -al show?

    if the devs are connected/unconfigured then they need configuring; if they
    arent even connected then follow the chain back to the SAN/zoning.

    If its any comfort, I have five Solaris boxes sharing LTOII drives in an
    STK robot and it works just fine.

    Jim

    "Rogelio" wrote:

    >Hello Adrian the first thing that you have to do is to check if the media
    >servers recognize the drives with the cfgad -al command, if the media servers
    >are unix.
    >
    >Rogelio.
    >"Adrian" wrote:
    >>
    >>My environments is (Solaris 9 all of them)
    >>Netbackup 5.0 MP4 w/ SSO
    >>1 Master Media Server, 14 Media Servers, all connected to a Storagetek

    >tape
    >>library (with 3 LTO II tape drive) all via SAN.
    >>
    >>The OS (Sol 9) of the new 7 media server recognize the tape, and the sgscan
    >>and vmoprcmd script also. I've been having problem trying to incorporate
    >>the 3 new tape drive to the servers, because device wizard do not regnonize
    >>the new devices but the master server yes.
    >>
    >>Only the new 7 san media server can see the new 3 tape drives and everything
    >>was configurated at the SAN and tha master server can see everything.
    >>
    >>What can I do for ???

+ Reply to Thread