available_media reports incorrect status of DBBACKUP - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on available_media reports incorrect status of DBBACKUP - Veritas Net Backup ; R. Michael Dyer wrote, in part: > Netbackup makes me feel stupid..... Don't worry, it's NetBackup that is stupid. Who'd believe that "world-class" software could have so many warts. To my (stupid) mind, that NetBackup exposes so much of itself ...

  1. Re: available_media reports incorrect status of DBBACKUP

    R. Michael Dyer wrote, in part:
    > Netbackup makes me feel stupid.....

    Don't worry, it's NetBackup that is stupid. Who'd believe that "world-class" software could have so many warts. To my (stupid) mind, that NetBackup exposes so much of itself has helped make it world-class, ... but nobody and nothing can stand such scrutiny and still look pretty.

    But certainly NetBackup reporting is ugly at best. I suppose one might expect a future version to address this area.

    cheers, wayne

  2. available_media reports incorrect status of DBBACKUP

    Most of my tapes are reporting status of DBBACKUP after having reinstalled
    a second media server. I did find the Technote 199300 but it states to "Edit
    the available_media shell script as follows: 1. Go to the line "cat $VMPOOL_OUTPUT..."
    and I have been unable to find this entry in the available_media.cmd file.
    Is there another available_media "shell script"? Next the Technote states
    "3. Go to the line where bpmedialist is being piped to a while loop", and
    the only "bpmedialist" entries I can find look to have a different structure
    than the one depicted in the Technote.

    Netbackup makes me feel stupid.....

  3. Re: available_media reports incorrect status of DBBACKUP

    "R. Michael Dyer" wrote:

    >Most of my tapes are reporting status of DBBACKUP after having reinstalled
    >a second media server. I did find the Technote 199300 but it states to "Edit
    >the available_media shell script as follows: 1. Go to the line "cat $VMPOOL_OUTPUT..."
    >and I have been unable to find this entry in the available_media.cmd file.
    >Is there another available_media "shell script"? Next the Technote states
    >"3. Go to the line where bpmedialist is being piped to a while loop", and
    >the only "bpmedialist" entries I can find look to have a different structure
    >than the one depicted in the Technote.
    >
    >Netbackup makes me feel stupid.....

    The original incarnation of said technote dates from 2002, ie this longstanding
    bug is still present in 4.5FP8, and the fix is exactly the same as back in
    2002. Maybe it's been fixed in later versions of NetBackup ?.
    The line number was 152 for the "cat $VMPOOL_OUTPUT...". Have another look
    and follow the technote to the letter. As i say they may have fixed available_media
    since 4.5, but i doubt it as it's classed as an unsupported script. Which
    i think is their way of generating revenue from other addons such as reporting
    addons, ie for the 5yrs i've been using NetBackup i've used available_media
    for a lot of my reporting needs.offsiting etc, never yet found a need for
    anything else.

    I myself didn't ever suffer from the DBBACKUP problem, just slow execution
    of script. Standard available_media script was taking upwards of 4mins since
    upgrade to 4.5 (the available_media script in 4.5 overwrote my changes from
    2002 dagnamit!); now the script takes 20seconds…..

  4. Re: available_media reports incorrect status of DBBACKUP

    "Creaky" wrote:

    >"R. Michael Dyer" wrote:
    >>
    >>Most of my tapes are reporting status of DBBACKUP after having reinstalled
    >>a second media server. I did find the Technote 199300 but it states to

    "Edit
    >>the available_media shell script as follows: 1. Go to the line "cat $VMPOOL_OUTPUT..."
    >>and I have been unable to find this entry in the available_media.cmd file.
    >>Is there another available_media "shell script"? Next the Technote states
    >>"3. Go to the line where bpmedialist is being piped to a while loop", and
    >>the only "bpmedialist" entries I can find look to have a different structure
    >>than the one depicted in the Technote.
    >>
    >>Netbackup makes me feel stupid.....

    >The original incarnation of said technote dates from 2002, ie this longstanding
    >bug is still present in 4.5FP8, and the fix is exactly the same as back

    in
    >2002. Maybe it's been fixed in later versions of NetBackup ?.
    >The line number was 152 for the "cat $VMPOOL_OUTPUT...". Have another look
    >and follow the technote to the letter. As i say they may have fixed available_media
    >since 4.5, but i doubt it as it's classed as an unsupported script. Which
    >i think is their way of generating revenue from other addons such as reporting
    >addons, ie for the 5yrs i've been using NetBackup i've used available_media
    >for a lot of my reporting needs.offsiting etc, never yet found a need for
    >anything else.
    >

    >I myself didn't ever suffer from the DBBACKUP problem, just slow execution
    >of script. Standard available_media script was taking upwards of 4mins since
    >upgrade to 4.5 (the available_media script in 4.5 overwrote my changes from
    >2002 dagnamit!); now the script takes 20seconds…..

    Ah!, i've just glanced at another of your posts where you're using Windows.
    If your master server is Windows, the above fix i've only ever used in Unix,
    don't know if the same fix works for Windows or if there's a separate technote..

  5. Re: available_media reports incorrect status of DBBACKUP

    "R. Michael Dyer" wrote:

    >Most of my tapes are reporting status of DBBACKUP after having reinstalled
    >a second media server. I did find the Technote 199300 but it states to "Edit
    >the available_media shell script as follows: 1. Go to the line "cat $VMPOOL_OUTPUT..."
    >and I have been unable to find this entry in the available_media.cmd file.
    >Is there another available_media "shell script"? Next the Technote states
    >"3. Go to the line where bpmedialist is being piped to a while loop", and
    >the only "bpmedialist" entries I can find look to have a different structure
    >than the one depicted in the Technote.
    >
    >Netbackup makes me feel stupid.....

    i think u have removed your first media server so bpmedialist -mlist -l -h
    media_server will show nothing
    in your old media server there is a binary file called mediaDB at netbackup\db\media
    copy it to your new media server will solve this problem but this two media
    server will be the same platform. if not , you will need use bpmedia -movedb
    to transfer media server .

    Regards,

  6. Re: available_media reports incorrect status of DBBACKUP

    Creaky escreveu:
    > "Creaky" wrote:
    >> "R. Michael Dyer" wrote:
    >>> Most of my tapes are reporting status of DBBACKUP after having reinstalled
    >>> a second media server. I did find the Technote 199300 but it states to

    > "Edit
    >>> the available_media shell script as follows: 1. Go to the line "cat $VMPOOL_OUTPUT..."
    >>> and I have been unable to find this entry in the available_media.cmd file.
    >>> Is there another available_media "shell script"? Next the Technote states
    >>> "3. Go to the line where bpmedialist is being piped to a while loop", and
    >>> the only "bpmedialist" entries I can find look to have a different structure
    >>> than the one depicted in the Technote.
    >>>
    >>> Netbackup makes me feel stupid.....

    >> The original incarnation of said technote dates from 2002, ie this longstanding
    >> bug is still present in 4.5FP8, and the fix is exactly the same as back

    > in
    >> 2002. Maybe it's been fixed in later versions of NetBackup ?.
    >> The line number was 152 for the "cat $VMPOOL_OUTPUT...". Have another look
    >> and follow the technote to the letter. As i say they may have fixed available_media
    >> since 4.5, but i doubt it as it's classed as an unsupported script. Which
    >> i think is their way of generating revenue from other addons such as reporting
    >> addons, ie for the 5yrs i've been using NetBackup i've used available_media
    >> for a lot of my reporting needs.offsiting etc, never yet found a need for
    >> anything else.
    >>

    >> I myself didn't ever suffer from the DBBACKUP problem, just slow execution
    >> of script. Standard available_media script was taking upwards of 4mins since
    >> upgrade to 4.5 (the available_media script in 4.5 overwrote my changes from
    >> 2002 dagnamit!); now the script takes 20seconds…..
    >>

    > Ah!, i've just glanced at another of your posts where you're using Windows.
    > If your master server is Windows, the above fix i've only ever used in Unix,
    > don't know if the same fix works for Windows or if there's a separate technote..

    Still '06 and 6.0MP2 on Windows, the problem continues. There is no
    alert inside the script telling to use at your own risk. The technote
    199300 is for UNIX. Why is there no snippet for Windows?

    TIA,
    Vinicius.

  7. Re: available_media reports incorrect status of DBBACKUP

    >Still '06 and 6.0MP2 on Windows, the problem continues.

    I doubt that. bpmedialist is called outside the loop in the win 5.1MP4 test
    box I have here.

    >There is no
    >alert inside the script telling to use at your own risk.

    WAH!

    If you RTFM, you'll see

    "NOTE: The scripts in the goodies directory are not officially
    supported but are intended as examples that you can
    customize according to your needs."

    deviously hidden in a section called "Goodies Scripts" which also has a bookmark
    and an index entry, both pointing to the section.

    > The technote
    >199300 is for UNIX. Why is there no snippet for Windows?

    Perhaps because it isn't needed? Just a guess.

+ Reply to Thread