Slow performance - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Slow performance - Veritas Net Backup ; in article 424c3f9b@ROSASTDMZ05., steve at schoffman@fhms.com wrote on 3/31/05 10:21 AM: > > I am running the Veritas NetBackup 5.1 server software on a Windows 2003 > machine > with a 100MPS NIC connected to the network. The network performance ...

  1. Re: Slow performance

    in article 424c3f9b@ROSASTDMZ05., steve at schoffman@fhms.com wrote on
    3/31/05 10:21 AM:

    > I am running the Veritas NetBackup 5.1 server software on a Windows 2003
    > machine
    > with a 100MPS NIC connected to the network. The network performance is
    > varying
    > between 400kb/s and 2000kb/s; does anyone know why my speeds are so slow?
    > My jukebox (MLS6060 with 4 LTO2 tape drives) can handle much more activity.
    > I attempted to copy a file across the network and it copied quickly ruling
    > out a slow network or network issue. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve

    A straight file copy doesn't compare to what goes on during a backup. The
    client has to traverse directories, apply exclude lists, enumerate files,
    tar them up, and stream it to the backup server. Much more involved and time
    consuming than a simple copy of a single file.

    On my fast servers (with high-end drives) I can get between 15-25KB/sec, on
    my slower laptops and desktops I get anywhere from .5-6KB/sec.

    --Paul

  2. Slow performance

    I am running the Veritas NetBackup 5.1 server software on a Windows 2003 machine
    with a 100MPS NIC connected to the network. The network performance is varying
    between 400kb/s and 2000kb/s; does anyone know why my speeds are so slow?
    My jukebox (MLS6060 with 4 LTO2 tape drives) can handle much more activity.
    I attempted to copy a file across the network and it copied quickly ruling
    out a slow network or network issue. Any ideas would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Steve

  3. Re: Slow performance

    Unless you're doing an ms exchange server mailbox-type backup ... a real
    dog ..., these problems (for me) almost always come down to the 100mbps
    adapter configuration. Make sure everything from the client and your
    backup server to anything in between is set to 100mbps, full duplex and
    NO AUTO. There are probably other ways to screw up a network, but this
    one seems easiest!

    Have you tuned your backup server per the various Veritas tuning
    TechNote suggestions? I would think LTO2 needs tuning done to keep them
    busy and not shoe-shining.

    cheers, wayne

    steve wrote, in part, on 3/31/2005 1:21 PM:
    > I am running the Veritas NetBackup 5.1 server software on a Windows 2003 machine
    > with a 100MPS NIC connected to the network. The network performance is varying
    > between 400kb/s and 2000kb/s; does anyone know why my speeds are so slow?
    > My jukebox (MLS6060 with 4 LTO2 tape drives) can handle much more activity.
    > I attempted to copy a file across the network and it copied quickly ruling
    > out a slow network or network issue. Any ideas would be appreciated.

  4. Re: Slow performance

    Make sure you have an fixed speed/duplex set on the ethernet adapters on
    both sides. The network is usually not a bottleneck if its configured
    correctly. That means if you can stream a large file via FTP, and the
    transfer rate are consistent and as expected (100Mbit=12MB/sec.). In this
    case you can forget the network as a problem.

    The most common bottlenecks is in the file systems of your client:

    1. Backup of windows system files (C:\) are oftenly seen having slow
    performance because Netbackup does a number of system calls, caching etc.
    during backup of such files. To resolve this you need to do someting with
    your hardware (memory/disk/CPU). Increasing the size of your system
    partition and perhaps moving the pagefile to another drive could also be
    effective.

    2. Another general bottleneck is seen when backuing up file systems with a
    large number of small files. In this case the OS/filesystem uses
    proportionally a lot of resources on I/O operations compared to the actual
    data-size in your files. This bottleneck resides in the file system itself
    and is a general problem (whatever backup software you'd use). To resolve
    this you could split the job into a number of smaller data streams running
    in parallel, alternatively use the NetBackup Advanced Client feature
    Flashbackup.

    3. If you have a large number of open files (especially database files etc.)
    netbackup will use a lot of time waiting for the files coming clear, caching
    etc. Track down these files and (if possible) exclude them from your backup
    set. An effective way of tracking such files is to turn off VSP/OTM for the
    client, start a backup of it, and then read the log-file wich will complain
    about files not beeing backed up for various reasons ("file is locked",
    "beeing used by another process..." etc.).

    Hope this can help :-)

    regards
    Anders J. Tenden
    Crayon AS, Norway

    "steve" wrote in message news:424c3f9b@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > I am running the Veritas NetBackup 5.1 server software on a Windows 2003
    > machine
    > with a 100MPS NIC connected to the network. The network performance is
    > varying
    > between 400kb/s and 2000kb/s; does anyone know why my speeds are so slow?
    > My jukebox (MLS6060 with 4 LTO2 tape drives) can handle much more
    > activity.
    > I attempted to copy a file across the network and it copied quickly ruling
    > out a slow network or network issue. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve

  5. Re: Slow performance

    Steve,

    I had similar problem on HP UX and MSL6030. After I upgraded with latest
    driver on OS and updated firmware on tape library then I got full performance
    from LTO2 drives (60MB/s). Earlier it was giving only 30 MB/s. First install
    HP storageworks software and run performance tests and compression tests.

    Manoj.

    "steve" wrote:

    >I am running the Veritas NetBackup 5.1 server software on a Windows 2003

    machine
    >with a 100MPS NIC connected to the network. The network performance is

    varying
    >between 400kb/s and 2000kb/s; does anyone know why my speeds are so slow?
    > My jukebox (MLS6060 with 4 LTO2 tape drives) can handle much more activity.
    > I attempted to copy a file across the network and it copied quickly ruling
    >out a slow network or network issue. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Steve

+ Reply to Thread