Tape devices disappearing - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Tape devices disappearing - Veritas Net Backup ; Here is one for the books... For the last 2 days in a row my tape drives have disappeared from the global device database. The drives do not appear in the Admin console and when I do a vmglob -listall ...

  1. Tape devices disappearing

    Here is one for the books...

    For the last 2 days in a row my tape drives have disappeared from the global
    device database. The drives do not appear in the Admin console and when
    I do a vmglob -listall -b, the drives are not listed. However, if I go to
    the server where the drives disappear and do a tpconfig -d, I see all my
    drives just as they should be.
    To temporarly fix this problem, I delete all the drives and robots from the
    affected server, then re-add them.
    If anyone has experienced problems like this, please drop me a note.

  2. Re: Tape devices disappearing

    "MikeB" wrote:

    >Here is one for the books...
    >
    >For the last 2 days in a row my tape drives have disappeared from the global
    >device database. The drives do not appear in the Admin console and when
    >I do a vmglob -listall -b, the drives are not listed. However, if I go

    >the server where the drives disappear and do a tpconfig -d, I see all my
    >drives just as they should be.
    >To temporarly fix this problem, I delete all the drives and robots from

    the
    >affected server, then re-add them.
    >If anyone has experienced problems like this, please drop me a note.

    Almost forgot, I am running Tru64 5.1B with TruCluster on both media and
    master servers with Veritas Netbackup 5.0 MP3

  3. Re: Tape devices disappearing

    We are seeing the same issue within our san infrastucture and netebackup when
    running tpautoconf. There is no real reason for why its happeneing, and we
    are troubleshooting the san, servers, library, everything and still have
    no concrete answer as to where the problem lies. I would be interested in
    hearing any like situations.

    "MikeB" wrote:

    >"MikeB" wrote:
    >>
    >>Here is one for the books...
    >>
    >>For the last 2 days in a row my tape drives have disappeared from the global
    >>device database. The drives do not appear in the Admin console and when
    >>I do a vmglob -listall -b, the drives are not listed. However, if I go

    >>the server where the drives disappear and do a tpconfig -d, I see all

    my
    >>drives just as they should be.
    >>To temporarly fix this problem, I delete all the drives and robots from

    >the
    >>affected server, then re-add them.
    >>If anyone has experienced problems like this, please drop me a note.

    >Almost forgot, I am running Tru64 5.1B with TruCluster on both media and
    >master servers with Veritas Netbackup 5.0 MP3

  4. Re: Tape devices disappearing

    "Ken Boyer" wrote:

    >We are seeing the same issue within our san infrastucture and netebackup

    when
    >running tpautoconf. There is no real reason for why its happeneing, and

    we
    >are troubleshooting the san, servers, library, everything and still have
    >no concrete answer as to where the problem lies. I would be interested in
    >hearing any like situations.
    >

    >"MikeB" wrote:
    >>
    >>"MikeB" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Here is one for the books...
    >>>
    >>>For the last 2 days in a row my tape drives have disappeared from the

    global
    >>>device database. The drives do not appear in the Admin console and when
    >>>I do a vmglob -listall -b, the drives are not listed. However, if I go

    >>>the server where the drives disappear and do a tpconfig -d, I see all

    >my
    >>>drives just as they should be.
    >>>To temporarly fix this problem, I delete all the drives and robots from

    >>the
    >>>affected server, then re-add them.
    >>>If anyone has experienced problems like this, please drop me a note.

    >>Almost forgot, I am running Tru64 5.1B with TruCluster on both media and
    >>master servers with Veritas Netbackup 5.0 MP3

  5. Re: Tape devices disappearing

    I have the same problem with NBU 5.1 MP3 running on a HP server/HPUX11.0.
    I am losing my libraries and part of my drives. I have to delete everything
    to get it back. Not to mention a reboot of the master server.

    "Ken Boyer" wrote:

    >We are seeing the same issue within our san infrastucture and netebackup

    when
    >running tpautoconf. There is no real reason for why its happeneing, and

    we
    >are troubleshooting the san, servers, library, everything and still have
    >no concrete answer as to where the problem lies. I would be interested in
    >hearing any like situations.
    >

    >"MikeB" wrote:
    >>
    >>"MikeB" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Here is one for the books...
    >>>
    >>>For the last 2 days in a row my tape drives have disappeared from the

    global
    >>>device database. The drives do not appear in the Admin console and when
    >>>I do a vmglob -listall -b, the drives are not listed. However, if I go

    >>>the server where the drives disappear and do a tpconfig -d, I see all

    >my
    >>>drives just as they should be.
    >>>To temporarly fix this problem, I delete all the drives and robots from

    >>the
    >>>affected server, then re-add them.
    >>>If anyone has experienced problems like this, please drop me a note.

    >>Almost forgot, I am running Tru64 5.1B with TruCluster on both media and
    >>master servers with Veritas Netbackup 5.0 MP3

  6. Re: Tape devices disappearing

    are these drives & mchangers are visible to OS when u hv this prblem ?

    check the kind of negotiation u hv for the library in san switch. check with
    ur library vendor for tht.

    is ur library visible to multiple hosts ? if yes, everyone will try to take
    the control of the drives, which is not good..veritas has an SSO option for
    tht..

    hv u tried changing the sanswitch port to whcih the drive is connectd ?

    "Keri Jarrett" wrote:

    >I have the same problem with NBU 5.1 MP3 running on a HP server/HPUX11.0.
    > I am losing my libraries and part of my drives. I have to delete everything
    >to get it back. Not to mention a reboot of the master server.
    >

    >"Ken Boyer" wrote:
    >>
    >>We are seeing the same issue within our san infrastucture and netebackup

    >when
    >>running tpautoconf. There is no real reason for why its happeneing, and

    >we
    >>are troubleshooting the san, servers, library, everything and still have
    >>no concrete answer as to where the problem lies. I would be interested

    in
    >>hearing any like situations.

    >global

    when

    go

    >>my
    >>>the
    >>>

    >>>Almost forgot, I am running Tru64 5.1B with TruCluster on both media

    and
    >>>master servers with Veritas Netbackup 5.0 MP3

  7. Re: Tape devices disappearing

    All servers see all drives. It happens if i add a 65 media server into the
    san environment, no matter if it is windows or unix.

    "avi" wrote:

    >are these drives & mchangers are visible to OS when u hv this prblem ?
    >
    >check the kind of negotiation u hv for the library in san switch. check

    with
    >ur library vendor for tht.
    >
    >is ur library visible to multiple hosts ? if yes, everyone will try to take
    >the control of the drives, which is not good..veritas has an SSO option

    for
    >tht..
    >
    >hv u tried changing the sanswitch port to whcih the drive is connectd ?

    >"Keri Jarrett" wrote:
    >>
    >>I have the same problem with NBU 5.1 MP3 running on a HP server/HPUX11.0.
    >> I am losing my libraries and part of my drives. I have to delete everything
    >>to get it back. Not to mention a reboot of the master server.
    >>

    >>"Ken Boyer" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>We are seeing the same issue within our san infrastucture and netebackup

    >>when
    >>>running tpautoconf. There is no real reason for why its happeneing, and

    >>we
    >>>are troubleshooting the san, servers, library, everything and still have
    >>>no concrete answer as to where the problem lies. I would be interested

    >in
    >>>hearing any like situations.

    >>global

    >when

    >go
    >>>my

    >and

  8. Re: Tape devices disappearing

    I have seen this before in 4.5 when we had drives fail, and get replaced,
    it corrupted vmglob pretty badly. to the point that we had to clear tpconfig
    on all the hosts, dump vmglob, rebuild it, and rebuild the drives on all
    of the media servers. The response that we got to this is that when you replace
    a drive, dump it and rebuild it on all of the media servers, as the serial
    number does not match the wwn in vmglob, and can cause corruption.
    Hope that helped,
    Todd

    ?

    >>check the kind of negotiation u hv for the library in san switch. check

    >with
    >>ur library vendor for tht.
    >>
    >>is ur library visible to multiple hosts ? if yes, everyone will try to

    take
    >>the control of the drives, which is not good..veritas has an SSO option

    >for
    >>tht..
    >>
    >>hv u tried changing the sanswitch port to whcih the drive is connectd ?

    >>"Keri Jarrett" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I have the same problem with NBU 5.1 MP3 running on a HP server/HPUX11.0.
    >>> I am losing my libraries and part of my drives. I have to delete everything
    >>>to get it back. Not to mention a reboot of the master server.

    >>>when
    >>>we

    >>in

    >>>global