Error 84 : Media Write Error - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Error 84 : Media Write Error - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello, I encounter this error sometimes and the backup for the client fails. The error message is 1.)cannot write image to media id A00001, drive index 0, I/O error 2.)backup of client angkasa with status 84 (Media Write Error) you ...

  1. Error 84 : Media Write Error

    Hello,

    I encounter this error sometimes and the backup for the client fails. The
    error message is

    1.)cannot write image to media id A00001, drive index 0, I/O error
    2.)backup of client angkasa with status 84 (Media Write Error)

    you help and feedback is highly appreciated.

    thank you.

  2. Re: Error 84 : Media Write Error

    Calvin Chen wrote, in part:
    > I encounter this error sometimes and the backup for the client fails. The
    > error message is
    >
    > 1.)cannot write image to media id A00001, drive index 0, I/O error
    > 2.)backup of client angkasa with status 84 (Media Write Error)
    >
    > you help and feedback is highly appreciated.

    There was a problem writing to tape A00001 on drive index 0. Either
    that tape media or the drive may have a problem. I'd clean the drive
    and look for a pattern. Is this only tape having write errors? If so,
    trash or return the tape to the vendor for a replacement. Is this drive
    having write errors repeatedly? If so, and a cleaning or two doesn't
    help, a replacement of the drive is probably in order.

    Hope this helps, wayne

  3. Re: Error 84 : Media Write Error

    replying to my own reply ...

    NetBackup maintains a summary of media errors. I view it using:

    less +G /usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/errors

    cheers, wayne

    W. T. Smith wrote, in part, on 12/27/2004 1:23 AM:
    > Calvin Chen wrote, in part:
    >
    >> I encounter this error sometimes and the backup for the client fails.
    >> The
    >> error message is
    >> 1.)cannot write image to media id A00001, drive index 0, I/O error
    >> 2.)backup of client angkasa with status 84 (Media Write Error)
    >>
    >> you help and feedback is highly appreciated.

    > There was a problem writing to tape A00001 on drive index 0. Either
    > that tape media or the drive may have a problem. I'd clean the drive
    > and look for a pattern. Is this only tape having write errors? If so,
    > trash or return the tape to the vendor for a replacement. Is this drive
    > having write errors repeatedly? If so, and a cleaning or two doesn't
    > help, a replacement of the drive is probably in order.
    >
    > Hope this helps, wayne

+ Reply to Thread