LTO II Cleaning.. - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on LTO II Cleaning.. - Veritas Net Backup ; Has anyone found how often LTO II drives generally liked to be cleaned? I believe I have TapeAlert and everything setup correctly, but my drives have yet to clean (Or even come up with a clean light on).. Perhaps I ...

  1. LTO II Cleaning..

    Has anyone found how often LTO II drives generally liked to be cleaned? I
    believe I have TapeAlert and everything setup correctly, but my drives have
    yet to clean (Or even come up with a clean light on).. Perhaps I am used to
    my old drives needing cleaning every 50-60 hours of runtime.. but my LTO II
    drives have been running for 150 hours of runtime without needing a clean.
    Is this normal? How long have most people seen LTO II drives go before
    needing cleaning?

    Thanks,
    Ronald Hall

  2. Re: LTO II Cleaning..

    Hi Ronald,

    Thankfully LTO drives are smart enough to know to demand cleaning when they
    need it. Cleaning your drives too regularly will actually do more harm than
    good because cleaning tapes are actually abrasive.

    Don't clean your drives unless it demands it. It can take months sometimes
    before an LTO drive demands cleaning.

    I hope this helps

    S.T.
    "Ronald Hall" wrote:
    >Has anyone found how often LTO II drives generally liked to be cleaned?

    >believe I have TapeAlert and everything setup correctly, but my drives have

    >yet to clean (Or even come up with a clean light on).. Perhaps I am used

    >my old drives needing cleaning every 50-60 hours of runtime.. but my LTO

    II
    >drives have been running for 150 hours of runtime without needing a clean.

    >Is this normal? How long have most people seen LTO II drives go before

    >needing cleaning?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Ronald Hall

  3. Re: LTO II Cleaning..

    "Sad Techie" wrote:

    >Hi Ronald,
    >
    >Thankfully LTO drives are smart enough to know to demand cleaning when they
    >need it. Cleaning your drives too regularly will actually do more harm than
    >good because cleaning tapes are actually abrasive.
    >
    >Don't clean your drives unless it demands it. It can take months sometimes
    >before an LTO drive demands cleaning.
    >
    >I hope this helps
    >
    >S.T.
    >"Ronald Hall" wrote:
    >>Has anyone found how often LTO II drives generally liked to be cleaned?

    >>believe I have TapeAlert and everything setup correctly, but my drives

    have

    >>yet to clean (Or even come up with a clean light on).. Perhaps I am used

    >>my old drives needing cleaning every 50-60 hours of runtime.. but my LTO

    >II
    >>drives have been running for 150 hours of runtime without needing a clean.

    >>Is this normal? How long have most people seen LTO II drives go before

    >>needing cleaning?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Ronald Hall

    ive only got LTO1's sofar, but mine can for go for literally 6mths before
    asking to be cleaned, and thats with constant use overnight. I used to worry
    about back when i couldn't find any info on the internet but fairly recently
    i found some docs stating to just leave them to tell you when they want cleaning
    as previous poster mentioned

    Rich

  4. Re: LTO II Cleaning..

    "Sad Techie" wrote:

    >Hi Ronald,
    >
    >Thankfully LTO drives are smart enough to know to demand cleaning when they
    >need it. Cleaning your drives too regularly will actually do more harm than
    >good because cleaning tapes are actually abrasive.
    >
    >Don't clean your drives unless it demands it. It can take months sometimes
    >before an LTO drive demands cleaning.
    >
    >I hope this helps
    >
    >S.T.
    >"Ronald Hall" wrote:
    >>Has anyone found how often LTO II drives generally liked to be cleaned?

    >>believe I have TapeAlert and everything setup correctly, but my drives

    have

    >>yet to clean (Or even come up with a clean light on).. Perhaps I am used

    >>my old drives needing cleaning every 50-60 hours of runtime.. but my LTO

    >II
    >>drives have been running for 150 hours of runtime without needing a clean.

    >>Is this normal? How long have most people seen LTO II drives go before

    >>needing cleaning?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Ronald Hall

    Your making me wonder now, I've seen my drives exceed 700 hours and still
    not ask to be cleaned. Not sure if there is a problem but I thought I had
    it setup correctly too.

    # tpclean
    Drv Type Mount Time Frequency Last Cleaned Comment
    0 hcart2* 501.7 0 07:38 05/21/2005
    1 hcart2* 787.3 0 07:01 04/01/2005
    2 hcart2* 730.9 0 07:02 04/01/2005
    3 hcart2* 704.9 0 07:02 04/01/2005