Backups to hard drive not automatically deleting after retention period. - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Backups to hard drive not automatically deleting after retention period. - Veritas Net Backup ; I have the retention set to 1 week, yet backups exist on the SAN for over two weeks filling up the drive. The backups do not exist in the catalog, or at least are not visable in the Activity Monitor ...

  1. Backups to hard drive not automatically deleting after retention period.

    I have the retention set to 1 week, yet backups exist on the SAN for over
    two weeks filling up the drive. The backups do not exist in the catalog,
    or at least are not visable in the Activity Monitor pane, but I am having
    to manually delete them from the hard drive.

    Has anyone witnessed this before?

  2. Re: Backups to hard drive not automatically deleting after retention period.

    Hi Michael,

    If your storage unit is straight Disk Storage Unit, the actual images on
    the disk will not be deleted. Although the images in the catalogues will
    be expired once the retention period is reached. The only time backup images
    are actually deleted from a storage unit is when you are dealing with Disk
    Staging Storage Unit. With the latter, NetBackup deletes old images that
    were successfully committed to phase 2 of the disk staging process when the
    storage unit becomes short of space. Unless your Storage Unit is of the disk
    staging kind, you will have to groom the disk yourself or using a script.

    S.T.

    "Michael Dyer" wrote:

    >I have the retention set to 1 week, yet backups exist on the SAN for over
    >two weeks filling up the drive. The backups do not exist in the catalog,
    >or at least are not visable in the Activity Monitor pane, but I am having
    >to manually delete them from the hard drive.
    >
    >Has anyone witnessed this before?

  3. Re: Backups to hard drive not automatically deleting after retention period.

    I have run into this problem with Disk Staging. I'm using NBU 5.1 on a
    Windows 2003 server who is the master and media server. Though NBU is
    supposed to automatically delete the oldest disk stage image (that has an
    associated .ds file - meaning that image was moved to tape) as it runs low
    on space during backups.

    That's how it's SUPPOSED to work.

    In my case, nothing ever gets deleted. I've got an open case with Veritas on
    this and am waiting on a patch to be released in early 2005 that is supposed
    to fix this.

    In the meantime, the tech gave me a command to use to manually expire the
    copy of the image that is on disk. This makes the copy that is on tape the
    PRIMARY copy so I can do restores properly. If you don't do it this way and
    simply delete images from the disk, NBU restores will fail because it can't
    find the primary copy of the backup image.

    Below is the command to run on your NBU server to expire the disk images
    which will free up space on your array. First, use Windows to browse to your
    disk stage. Locate the files with extention .ds - these files are created
    automatically once NBU copies a disk stage image to tape. You'll notice the
    name of the .ds file is something like: servername_1102823822_C1_F1.ds. Copy
    the servername_1102823822 part of the file name. Open a command prompt and
    change directories to c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd and
    type:

    bpexpdate -backupid servername_1102823822 -d 0 -copy 1

    Again, only use the above command if using DISK STAGING.
    This will expire this backup image and automatically delete the files
    associated with it from your hard drives. I have to do this every Friday so
    I have room for my full backups on the weekend. Otherwise all my jobs fail.
    It's tedious and time consuming, but the only option for me right now.

    "Michael Dyer" wrote in message

    > I have the retention set to 1 week, yet backups exist on the SAN for over
    > two weeks filling up the drive. The backups do not exist in the catalog,
    > or at least are not visable in the Activity Monitor pane, but I am having
    > to manually delete them from the hard drive.
    >
    > Has anyone witnessed this before?

  4. Re: Backups to hard drive not automatically deleting after retention period.

    I have a similar issue, though I'm 5.1 on a HP-UX system. It does expire
    disk images when things go well but it often has problems.

    This weekend the system had to be brought down hard and it seems to have
    confused this process. I've had to manually expire many disk images. Even
    though there are plenty of .ds files in the file system it seems hung up
    and won't work properly without manual intervention.

    It also leaves fragments. Like a backup with _F1 through _F20 it might leave
    F19 and F20 sitting there after deleting F1-F18.

    This is certainly a pain.

    "Brian" wrote:
    >I have run into this problem with Disk Staging. I'm using NBU 5.1 on a
    >Windows 2003 server who is the master and media server. Though NBU is
    >supposed to automatically delete the oldest disk stage image (that has an
    >associated .ds file - meaning that image was moved to tape) as it runs low
    >on space during backups.
    >
    >That's how it's SUPPOSED to work.

  5. Re: Backups to hard drive not automatically deleting after retention period.

    Thanks everyone for the responses.
    I am still having the problem.
    Most of my images on disk to automatically delete when they expire, but there
    is one particularly large client that does not. I can find no differences
    in the configuration that would cause this, but will continue to investigate
    as time allows. Thanks again

+ Reply to Thread