Disk Staging Disappointments - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Disk Staging Disappointments - Veritas Net Backup ; Has anyone else been disappointed in the disk staging capabilities of NetBackup 5? Iím specifically referring to the following: -No way to manually run cleanup on a DSSU -Mixing retentions on the same DSSU will cause failures due to the ...

  1. Disk Staging Disappointments

    Has anyone else been disappointed in the disk staging capabilities of NetBackup
    5?

    Iím specifically referring to the following:

    -No way to manually run cleanup on a DSSU

    -Mixing retentions on the same DSSU will cause failures due to the cleanup
    process not deleting other successfully duplicated images of a different
    retention.

    -Images are written to tape one at a time from a DSSU, limiting the usefulness
    of multiple drives.

    -The need to allocate dedicated disks to each DSSU to avoid the above issues.

    The flexibility of policies and schedules is just destroyed by the whole
    disk staging limitations. Iím totally frustrated and will probably go back
    to my scripted methods which worked well without a lot of nonsense.

    Any input?

  2. Re: Disk Staging Disappointments

    yep - made the decision to give up and go back to scripting, just going
    through the finalising of that now.
    But looking likely to be multiple policies to separate DSU's then each DSU
    backing up under a separate policy (allowing multiple to run at once) and
    finaly a cleanup script to remove images older than 7 days & defrag the
    disk.

    Keith

    "NetJock" wrote in message

    > Has anyone else been disappointed in the disk staging capabilities of

    NetBackup
    > 5?
    >
    > I'm specifically referring to the following:
    >
    > -No way to manually run cleanup on a DSSU
    >
    > -Mixing retentions on the same DSSU will cause failures due to the cleanup
    > process not deleting other successfully duplicated images of a different
    > retention.
    >
    > -Images are written to tape one at a time from a DSSU, limiting the

    usefulness
    > of multiple drives.
    >
    > -The need to allocate dedicated disks to each DSSU to avoid the above

    issues.

    > The flexibility of policies and schedules is just destroyed by the whole
    > disk staging limitations. I'm totally frustrated and will probably go back
    > to my scripted methods which worked well without a lot of nonsense.
    >
    > Any input?

  3. Re: Disk Staging Disappointments

    hi
    i am planning to use disk staging too in the near future. would backups to
    disk and then duplicate to tape by Vault be another solution?
    of course with the additional license cost of vault.

    shiva

    "keith" wrote:
    >yep - made the decision to give up and go back to scripting, just going
    >through the finalising of that now.
    >But looking likely to be multiple policies to separate DSU's then each DSU
    >backing up under a separate policy (allowing multiple to run at once) and
    >finaly a cleanup script to remove images older than 7 days & defrag the
    >disk.
    >
    >Keith
    >

    >"NetJock" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Has anyone else been disappointed in the disk staging capabilities of

    >NetBackup
    >> 5?
    >>
    >> I'm specifically referring to the following:
    >>
    >> -No way to manually run cleanup on a DSSU
    >>
    >> -Mixing retentions on the same DSSU will cause failures due to the cleanup
    >> process not deleting other successfully duplicated images of a different
    >> retention.
    >>
    >> -Images are written to tape one at a time from a DSSU, limiting the

    >usefulness
    >> of multiple drives.
    >>
    >> -The need to allocate dedicated disks to each DSSU to avoid the above

    >issues.
    >>
    >> The flexibility of policies and schedules is just destroyed by the whole
    >> disk staging limitations. I'm totally frustrated and will probably go

    back
    >> to my scripted methods which worked well without a lot of nonsense.
    >>
    >> Any input?

  4. Re: Disk Staging Disappointments

    depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you only need one copy on
    tape, then you're fine using jsut NetBackup.
    intitial backup to disk -> netbackup
    intitial backup to tape -> netbackup

    Keith

    "Shiva" wrote in message

    > hi
    > i am planning to use disk staging too in the near future. would backups to
    > disk and then duplicate to tape by Vault be another solution?
    > of course with the additional license cost of vault.
    >
    > shiva
    >
    > "keith" wrote:
    > >yep - made the decision to give up and go back to scripting, just going
    > >through the finalising of that now.
    > >But looking likely to be multiple policies to separate DSU's then each

    DSU
    > >backing up under a separate policy (allowing multiple to run at once) and
    > >finaly a cleanup script to remove images older than 7 days & defrag the
    > >disk.
    > >
    > >Keith
    > >

    > >"NetJock" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Has anyone else been disappointed in the disk staging capabilities of

    > >NetBackup
    > >> 5?
    > >>
    > >> I'm specifically referring to the following:
    > >>
    > >> -No way to manually run cleanup on a DSSU
    > >>
    > >> -Mixing retentions on the same DSSU will cause failures due to the

    cleanup
    > >> process not deleting other successfully duplicated images of a

    different
    > >> retention.
    > >>
    > >> -Images are written to tape one at a time from a DSSU, limiting the

    > >usefulness
    > >> of multiple drives.
    > >>
    > >> -The need to allocate dedicated disks to each DSSU to avoid the above

    > >issues.
    > >>
    > >> The flexibility of policies and schedules is just destroyed by the

    whole
    > >> disk staging limitations. I'm totally frustrated and will probably go

    > back
    > >> to my scripted methods which worked well without a lot of nonsense.
    > >>
    > >> Any input?

  5. Re: Disk Staging Disappointments

    Hi Keith

    Can you please share info on your cleanup script???

    "keith" wrote:
    >yep - made the decision to give up and go back to scripting, just going
    >through the finalising of that now.
    >But looking likely to be multiple policies to separate DSU's then each DSU
    >backing up under a separate policy (allowing multiple to run at once) and
    >finaly a cleanup script to remove images older than 7 days & defrag the
    >disk.
    >
    >Keith
    >

    >"NetJock" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Has anyone else been disappointed in the disk staging capabilities of

    >NetBackup
    >> 5?
    >>
    >> I'm specifically referring to the following:
    >>
    >> -No way to manually run cleanup on a DSSU
    >>
    >> -Mixing retentions on the same DSSU will cause failures due to the cleanup
    >> process not deleting other successfully duplicated images of a different
    >> retention.
    >>
    >> -Images are written to tape one at a time from a DSSU, limiting the

    >usefulness
    >> of multiple drives.
    >>
    >> -The need to allocate dedicated disks to each DSSU to avoid the above

    >issues.
    >>
    >> The flexibility of policies and schedules is just destroyed by the whole
    >> disk staging limitations. I'm totally frustrated and will probably go

    back
    >> to my scripted methods which worked well without a lot of nonsense.
    >>
    >> Any input?

+ Reply to Thread