5.1: excess bpsched logging - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on 5.1: excess bpsched logging - Veritas Net Backup ; FYI I just opened a ticket on this: it may or may not be a bug, but we were running for over a year with VERBOSE = 5 logging with no problem. However, after upgrading from 4.5FP6 to 5.1 last ...

  1. 5.1: excess bpsched logging

    FYI I just opened a ticket on this: it may or may not be a bug, but we were
    running for over a year with VERBOSE = 5 logging with no problem. However,
    after upgrading from 4.5FP6 to 5.1 last weekend, we are now seeing over 10
    GB/day of bpsched logs! This is a medium-sized system with ten media servers
    and approx. 20 TB being backed up.

    --Bruce

  2. Re: excess bpsched logging

    Why are you running with verbose set to 5? I wouldn't think it's a bug, just
    the process logging more info for troubleshooting purposes.

    Mike

    "Bruce Hamilton" wrote in message

    > FYI I just opened a ticket on this: it may or may not be a bug, but we

    were
    > running for over a year with VERBOSE = 5 logging with no problem. However,
    > after upgrading from 4.5FP6 to 5.1 last weekend, we are now seeing over 10
    > GB/day of bpsched logs! This is a medium-sized system with ten media

    servers
    > and approx. 20 TB being backed up.
    >
    > --Bruce

  3. Re: excess bpsched logging

    I ran into a similar issue last weekend. We've been running 5.1 MP3A for a
    couple of months after an OS upgrade (2K SP4 to 2K3 SP1) and subsequent NB
    upgrades (4.5 FP6 to 5.1, then MP3A). Global logging had been at 3 since
    the upgrade (troubleshooting) and while several had grown to 10-20MB last
    Saturday's bpsched log grew to 100GB! Sunday's file was at nearly 90GB when
    my Ops staff called that night. Excessive logging had dropped our database
    volume down to 0 KB literally overnight, which of course led to catalog corruption!

    I recovered the catalogs from backup and merged in several volumes/images
    we thought we might be asked to restore from which had gone through since,
    to get the recovered catalog up to snuff. I can't upgrade to NB 6.0 for
    'hot' catalog backups soon enough it seems...

    Not sure why it went haywire like that all of a sudden? Just thought I should
    share the details in case anyone else runs into the same issue. I dropped
    logging to 0 globally and since then the bpsched logs have been 'normal'
    sizes (for now).

+ Reply to Thread